• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question about waitlist with 2 contracts

Disneyfn420

DIS Veteran
I am planning a trip to Disney and am booking 4 nights at my home resort from contract 1. I may book an additional 3 nights at my home resort, with the hope to waitlist or get a MK resort at the 7 month window. So I'd have a split stay.

To book the last 3 nights I need to borrow from contract 1. Now my question is, if a MK resort becomes available at 7 months or via waitlist, I'd need to use points from contract 2. I assume they don't just take the difference right?

For example, say the last 3 nights were 90 points, 30 a night, and then I get a MK resort which is 130 points for the same length of stay, would they cancel one of the nights and switch the whole day to contract 2? Would they have to switch the points for the whole 3 day reservation?

If I book it I would have 10 points left from contract 1 but for a MK resort I'd need points. So not sure how they would take them. I just don't want to get stuck with points from contract 1 since once you borrow they are in that use year.

Hope this makes sense.

Your contracts are under one membership, yes?

If so then what would normally be done if the waitlist fills is that MS would replace the entire 3 night reservation with the new 3 nights at the MK resort. The rules would follow as they normally would and they would use any banked or borrowed points first then any current points to fill it out. There's no specific use of the points that were being used for the 3 nights but just by the rules it very well might. When it gets to using the current points it can be a bit iffy but they would likely use from the contract that is first in your list. If you wanted them to use from the other you should be able to call or email and ask them to switch.

Yes one membership. I guess my question is can they book one night using 2 contracts points? Like 10 points from contract 1 and then the rest for contract 2 or does a night have to be with 1 contract.
If they can't combine I'd have points I borrowed that would go unused.
Hope that makes it clearer

Your contracts are under one membership, yes?

If so then what would normally be done if the waitlist fills is that MS would replace the entire 3 night reservation with the new 3 nights at the MK resort. The rules would follow as they normally would and they would use any banked or borrowed points first then any current points to fill it out. There's no specific use of the points that were being used for the 3 nights but just by the rules it very well might. When it gets to using the current points it can be a bit iffy but they would likely use from the contract that is first in your list. If you wanted them to use from the other you should be able to call or email and ask them to switch.

Yes one membership. I guess my question is can they book one night using 2 contracts points? Like 10 points from contract 1 and then the rest for contract 2 or does a night have to be with 1 contract.
If they can't combine I'd have points I borrowed that would go unused.
Hope that makes it clearer

Yes. When the contracts in in the same UY under one membership then they can use points from more than one contract for a single night - ie, if the night takes 30 points it could be 15 from contract 1 and 15 from contract 2 or any other combination. What the system will want to do is use up all the possible points from the first contract selected and then move on to the second to complete - with the caveat that it would use banked or borrowed points from the second before it started with current points from the first.

I am planning a trip to Disney and am booking 4 nights at my home resort from contract 1. I may book an additional 3 nights at my home resort, with the hope to waitlist or get a MK resort at the 7 month window. So I'd have a split stay.

To book the last 3 nights I need to borrow from contract 1. Now my question is, if a MK resort becomes available at 7 months or via waitlist, I'd need to use points from contract 2. I assume they don't just take the difference right?

For example, say the last 3 nights were 90 points, 30 a night, and then I get a MK resort which is 130 points for the same length of stay, would they cancel one of the nights and switch the whole day to contract 2? Would they have to switch the points for the whole 3 day reservation?

If I book it I would have 10 points left from contract 1 but for a MK resort I'd need points. So not sure how they would take them. I just don't want to get stuck with points from contract 1 since once you borrow they are in that use year.

Hope this makes sense.

2 contracts. Are they the same resort? With what you've described, you should not have borrowed points that can possibly go unused.

You book the first 4 nights in 7-11 mo window. Call it 120 points on contract 1.
You book the next 3 nights in 7-11 mo window. 90 points on contract 1. But you have to borrow? Why? If Contract 1 only has 40 pts left you'd just take the other 50 from Contract 2's current points.

The booking tool will seamlessly pull from both. Don't borrow anything. If between C1 and C2 you don't have enough, only then will you have to borrow. You specify this when you book the stays. You say: Use contract 1 current points first. Use contract 2 current points second. Then borrow if needed.

Fast forward to 7 months out and you do the waitlist, which if it hits, could up your 90 to 130.

Again you will point this to use current points on whichever contract has current points available. And you'll check the box which says OK to borrow. And you'll check the box which says "If this waitlist hits, use the points from X reservation first" and you'll point it to your 3 night stay. Then if it hits, it'll unbook your 90, use those 90, then use 40 more, first from any current, then borrowing if necessary after all that.

You should be good, the tools are all there to set this up online. Hope that helps...

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter