Question dining plan

Dakota731

DIS Veteran
So do you have to pay rack rate on a premium resort to get free table service dining? There’s no way the math seems to work for that over a room rate discount if you only have two people per room.

So do you have to pay rack rate on a premium resort to get free table service dining? There’s no way the math seems to work for that over a room rate discount if you only have two people per room.
Correct, IF they offer Free Dining (it may not come back) you must pay full price for your room and a minimum size park ticket - per person.

Depending on the number of guests, the desired level of hotel and your ticket situation - it might not make financial sense. We did it for many years but when they dropped to QSDP for value & moderate, and we dropped from 4 to 2 it no longer made sense for us. We now spend less, eat less and spend less time worrying about our credits. Much more relaxing without it - for us.

Hasn't seen any indication around whether the 'free' is coming back. Since you have to pay higher room rates, it's more that the plan is 'included', not actually 'free'. Wouldn't be surprised to see it return for lesser crowds again - kind of what they used it for previously.

Hasn't seen any indication around whether the 'free' is coming back. Since you have to pay higher room rates, it's more that the plan is 'included', not actually 'free'. Wouldn't be surprised to see it return for lesser crowds again - kind of what they used it for previously.
I just wonder if the "dining voucher" they just offered will be more of a thing than Free Dining.

No, you can purchase it with a discounted room. "Free Dining" requires a full price room (if offered).
Thank you for clarifying. Can a dining plans only be purchased with hotel package. If staying dvc not an option?

The question used to be should I take "free dining" or the room discount. If staying value like we do (Pop), it was always better for us to take the dining even if it was just the 2 of us. We don't skip meals, share meals, leave unused snack credits, or share snacks. The discount at Pop was usually 20% so at a room cost of $229 we would have saved around $46 per night if we chose to take the room discount. We always chose the "free" dining because we couldn't get 4 meals, 4 snacks (now 2), and 2 souvenir mugs for $46 per day.

I just wonder if the "dining voucher" they just offered will be more of a thing than Free Dining.
I booked a package with the dining voucher/credit of $150 per night for a deluxe. We are at WL and did pay the full rate and only had to buy a minimum of 4 days worth of tickets, non park hoppers were fine. The amount of the dining credit is the equivalent of a 35% room discount (I did the math after room only discounts came out) and Disney was only offering 30% off rack rate. We will use the $1500 over the 10 days, so it is not money wasted. I like the credit better because I can use what funds I want when I want, I'm not limited to one entree for a meal, I can order 3 appetizers and no entree. And if I want to pay for friend's dinners, I can. I could blow the whole amount in basically one night if I wanted to eat at V&A's!

Thank you for clarifying. Can a dining plans only be purchased with hotel package. If staying dvc not an option?
For some time before the pandemic, DVC was able to call and add the dining plan (at full cost) to a reservation. If you are renting points, the owner must be on the call, at least at first. I did it in 2019 on a threeway call so that I could pay with gift cards.

I haven't seen confirmation this will be available when they plan relaunches, but I can't think why they wouldn't do it...

I booked a package with the dining voucher/credit of $150 per night for a deluxe. We are at WL and did pay the full rate and only had to buy a minimum of 4 days worth of tickets, non park hoppers were fine. The amount of the dining credit is the equivalent of a 35% room discount (I did the math after room only discounts came out) and Disney was only offering 30% off rack rate. We will use the $1500 over the 10 days, so it is not money wasted. I like the credit better because I can use what funds I want when I want, I'm not limited to one entree for a meal, I can order 3 appetizers and no entree. And if I want to pay for friend's dinners, I can. I could blow the whole amount in basically one night if I wanted to eat at V&A's!
SO MUCH THIS!

My family loves to fill a table with appetizers, still spending a good bit but eating a way we enjoy more. We'd rather have more snacks throughout the day than have to stuff ourselves to get value from the DP. We stopped doing dining plan because it forced us to eat in a way we didn't really like, especially on a daily basis while we were doing a theme park. I think this has way more flexibility, gives you way more options to eat and has a huge value.

I think it is very hard to make the math on Free Dining versus a Room Only discount work in your favor if there are only 2 adults in the room. If you have 4, especially if 2 of them are teens or kids who are "Disney adults" then it can be a substantial savings over a RO offer - especially if you had planned to buy the minimum number of required hopper tickets anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter