Question for anyone in Recruitment or HR.

Mac4life30

DIS Veteran
My friend is seeking employment at Florida Hospital in Orlando. She is flying in for the first time in a long time to Orlando next week. She wants to take time off from her time at Disney to drive 30 mins out of the way in order to walk into the HR Dept at the Hospital and speak with someone. She wants to show them she is truly interested and not even living out of state is a problem for her when it comes to coming to an interview. I know her heart is in the right place however I think she is wasting her time. Unless she has a interview or personally knows someone there who can introduce to a Recruiter wont she be wasting her time?
I work for a major company and I know we don't take walk ins we would just refer them to our career website. I have also walked into casting twice once when I wasn't a CM and the second time while as a DS CM. I never got to speak to anyone other then the person at the front desk.

She is seeking any type of employment at the hospital just as long as she can get in through the door. She is not a Nurse/Doctor or Professional as far as Bachelor degree goes.

I very seriously doubt she will be seen at all and quite frankly I think it's rude to just show up and expect to be seen. It could send the wrong impression. If she wants to show her interest she should call and make an appointment. Even if she does not get the appointment calling let's them know she's interested and is available.

She probably won't make it to the HR dept. She'll be told to apply online and that there is no one available to talk to her.

I very seriously doubt she will be seen at all and quite frankly I think it's rude to just show up and expect to be seen. It could send the wrong impression. If she wants to show her interest she should call and make an appointment. Even if she does not get the appointment calling let's them know she's interested and is available.

I second this. Definitely don't just walk in. I think a phone call and possibly setting up time to speak with someone is a good move. I don't work in HR but we do work with job shadows and I always find it helpful when we have some notice so we can work it in to our schedules.

I think it's a waste of time as well-and depending on what type of hospital it is there may not even be an h/r that handles hiring at the location she goes to. that is the case w/many hospitals that are government owned-in which case hiring goes through the government agency (city, county or state) which will post openings on their websites, and for entry level (non professional) positions may also require testing to even get the opportunity to do an initial interview to get on a hiring list that will be pulled from for actual openings. i didn't work for the hospital but served on ranking panels for a variety of entry and experienced level clerical type positions for 2 separate county's hospitals-with both the candidates had (before they ever got a face to face w/anyone related to h/r) submitted an application, taken a typing test which if they scored high enough on got them the opportunity to do an oral ranking test with us (which only got them a numerical ranking on the hiring list-to potentially be called down the line for actual openings).

she would probably do well to research the hospital on their website to see what their hiring process is-and if they are even hiring at this point. if they have openings then she might make a call and ask if it's possible to drop by and take a look at the place.

My sister-in-law works at Florida Hospital. It is a huge organization with multiple locations. It is most definitely a waste of time to randomly show up and think she is going to talk to HR.

I think she really needs to find an open position online that she is qualified for and submit a very strong resume with a cover letter explaining her situation. Even the electronic applications have a field for a "cover letter." This is where she can say she will be in the area and can be available for an interview.

times have changed! In person applying for so many jobs is a thing of the past. Youare giving your friend good advice, I hope she listens

If they have an online portal for applying, then she is probably wasting her time going there in person uninvited.

It is a waste of time and even more so since she doesn't seem to have a "profession" they may be seeking to fill. She should look on line to see if there are any positions she qualifies for and then apply. If she is already planning a move to Florida she can mention that in any cover letter she sends so that they know they aren't hiring someone out of state but rather someone who is trying to line a job up for their upcoming move.

Has she worked at a Hospital before?

I second this. Definitely don't just walk in. I think a phone call and possibly setting up time to speak with someone is a good move. I don't work in HR but we do work with job shadows and I always find it helpful when we have some notice so we can work it in to our schedules.
I am seeing more and more "Any Applicant who calls to check on their application will be disqualified" on company job sites. So I would be careful about even calling.

I am seeing more and more "Any Applicant who calls to check on their application will be disqualified" on company job sites. So I would be careful about even calling.

Totally agree - I was suggesting that she call before she stops into the hospital though, thinking that would be before she's even applied, as opposed to just walking in and asking to talk to HR.

My fiance's company does this. He told me he writes that on every application because he wants employees who can follow directions. They put something like Applicant do not call. If you wish to follow up please email xyz@flw.com. They may not even put the email address they just put applicants do not call.

He is shocked by how many times people still call and he answers and politely informs them that the notice said do not call and so their application is being rejected. The worst one was when a guy who quit reapplied 2 days after he quit. We think he must have just applied for any position in the city that match his old position and didn't pay attention to the company name.

It is a waste of time and even more so since she doesn't seem to have a "profession" they may be seeking to fill. She should look on line to see if there are any positions she qualifies for and then apply. If she is already planning a move to Florida she can mention that in any cover letter she sends so that they know they aren't hiring someone out of state but rather someone who is trying to line a job up for their upcoming move.

Has she worked at a Hospital before?

Agree - have her apply now, with cover letter stating intent to move to Florida. Maybe she will have a call before she flies down...can schedule an actual interview for that time..

I can't think of any large organization that would allow for anyone to just walk in and speak to HR or recruiting. Most are set up these days such that one applies for specific jobs, and that's generally the only way they get filled via outside applicants. I've heard of a few jobs where the application was only by mail (kind of unique these days) but that's exceedingly rare.

I have heard of people getting jobs by simply going to the employer and asking if they were hiring, but that's typically for small businesses or retail jobs. However, a large hospital that already has job listings isn't likely to work.

The ideal workaround is if one can get an internal referral - especially if the referred can indicate that location is not an obstacle.

I'm an HR Director, and I will not see anyone without an appointment. Our employment ads actively discourage phone calls. We do send postcards to applicants to confirm receipt of their application materials.

I agree with the suggestion that she should indicate in her cover letter her strong desire to move to the Orlando area. She should also bold the text.

I'm an HR Director, and I will not see anyone without an appointment. Our employment ads actively discourage phone calls. We do send postcards to applicants to confirm receipt of their application materials.

I agree with the suggestion that she should indicate in her cover letter her strong desire to move to the Orlando area. She should also bold the text.

I've gotten emails directly from recruiters with phone numbers in the signature. Once I get that message and a direct phone number, I think it's fair game to call to ask a question. Of course at that point I've already gotten to the point where I'm in serious consideration.

I don't think I've ever received a postcard though. Even when applying by mail, the response (if any) was by email.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter