Question for anyone who travels by ferry

poppyscorner

Earning My Ears
Hi all,

Still hanging around here like a sponge soaking up all of the usefull info on this board.
Not long to go now going 12th december and we are all getting rather excited:dance3: :woohoo: :banana: :banana: hubby has agreed to drive us there and we are getting over the channel by P & O ferries question is do we need to present our car documents at any time during our trip for any reason its just a last minute thought but we would hate to leave here without them only to find that we later need them.

Thanks all
Poppy x

You don't need to show them for the ferry but you do need them (insurance, V5 and full drivers licence) for driving in France.

I think it is generally advised that you travel with your driving licence, car registration documents etc but we never had to show them. But we are going via the Eurotunnel in Feb and we will be taking them again.:goodvibes

Hiya,
agree with the others - take insurance docs (particularly the international bit!!) ownership document, licence(s) .

Also check what else is needed - you MUST adjust or adapt headlights for the other side of the road BEFORE getting off the boat, and you must carry a spare set of bulbs for your lights (and theoretically be able to fit them). Also mandatory to have an indication of country (used to be a GB sticker - now could be a new style numberplate with GB on it)

Don't know if it is mandatory to carry a warning triangle, fire extinguisher and first aid kit - some European countries it is - so we go prepared - not much room left for luggage after all that but hey ho....

Sorry to hijack a bit, but does anyone have a definitive document/ extras list for trips to France??

Tessa

We've used the information from this site on past trips.

As stated headlight deflectors are compulsary.
I looked at my headlights for our trip in January and my lights don't have any markings on to stick the deflectors in the right place.

I also checked out how to change a headlight bulb. It means removing the whole air cleaner. Not something I'm going to attempt.

I looked at my headlights for our trip in January and my lights don't have any markings on to stick the deflectors in the right place.

I also checked out how to change a headlight bulb. It means removing the whole air cleaner. Not something I'm going to attempt.
Don't worry most kits give you visual guides to the correct location. Our Picasso doesn't have markings either.

Equally, don't worry if you can't change your light bulb then then the police will make sure you get to a garage in the unfortunate event that you blow one :)

With the headlamp adapters does anyone know of any re-useable ones, because we have tried to re-use in the past but it does not seem to work and seems a bit of a waste only using for a couple of days.

Thanks

Thanks for all the replys much appreciated.

We have pulled all documents out and they are now with passports.

The reflector things that you speak of where can we get them and where do they go sorry I know I sound like a total prat but have never been down south in the car never mind another country.

Thanks again to you all

I managed to use my headlight deflectors from Halfords twice, then one came off towards the end of the return journey. You have to be careful when peeling them off to use them again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter