Question for Ladies RE: Formal Attire

tezb

There is a special place in heaven for the mother
I cannot remember our formal night at last cruise and what the women were wearing...guess that goes to show it doesn't really matter. Anyway, do most women wear gowns or is a short dress acceptable. I have a short black velvet dress I was thinking of wearing.?? Or maybe this is more appropriate for semi-formal.

We were on the ship 2 weeks ago and honestly I saw only about 5 formal dresses. Most women were in short dresses. Some were very dressy others were more like Sunday dress. Semi-formal was from pants and capris to dresses.

thanks coolmom.....you just made it easier for me. It's hard to tell.... what's formal to one person is not to another. My mother in law is having a 50th formal dinner party this year...and to her that means all the women have to wear long gowns...I don't own that many gowns and don't really want to buy or pack one just for one night. Helped me to know what to wear...the things I have in my closet will do just fine...thanks...

When we were on the Magic last summer, gowns were definitely the norm at the second seating on formal night. First seating there were still a lot of gowns, but saw many street length dresses as well.

To me, formal is formal. Gown and tux. Semi-formal is cocktail attire for women and conservative suit for men.

Anne

It may be people are more feastive but on our past two seven nighters, on formal night just about every woman I saw was in a formal gown, on semi formal there were quite a few gowns then too, ( I wore a gown formal night and a black coctail dress on semi) As much as I love the fomalities of dressing up and seeing our family portaits as such, I do say wear what you are comfortable with,, this is YOUR vacation after all,,, we are all way past the prom :)
(ps I swear I saw some prom dresses and brides maids gowns too so go figure :) )

In March and September long gowns were in the minority for both seatings. Many cocktail dresses and longish skirts. Wear what you feel comfortable in.

tezb-
I agree with the above posts that you should wear what you feel comfortable in. My husband wears a Tux for formal and semi-formal nights. I "usually" wear a formal gown also. I don't know yet what I am bringing for our upcoming July 19th cruise. I'll decide over July 4th weekend since I'll be packing as we leave for Hilton Head July 12th. By the time I pack 7 dresses for me and our two girls plus outfits for DH, that fills two garmet bags!

jilljill-
I see you have a countdown until your Australia trip. Where are you going? I was there with DH in 1987 during the America's cup. Can't wait to take our DD's back there some day.

Originally posted by tezb
I cannot remember our formal night at last cruise and what the women were wearing...guess that goes to show it doesn't really matter. Anyway, do most women wear gowns or is a short dress acceptable. I have a short black velvet dress I was thinking of wearing.?? Or maybe this is more appropriate for semi-formal.

I would wear a gown on formal night and a shorter cocktail style dress on semi-formal. BUT I would also wear the cocktail style dress on formal night, as well. Have fun dressing up! We love this aspect of the 7-days...makes for great photos.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter