• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question for locals or recent POA alums about Kahului (Maui) port

aboveH20

DIS Veteran
In a couple weeks we're heading to Aulani prior to a Pride of America cruise. The excursion we booked was canceled and now we're trying to figure out Plan B.

We will be in port for two days. One day we are planning a general tour of Maui (booked through NCL). For our now free day we've been looking at Lahaina On Your Own where they bus you to Lahaina and then you have 4-5 hours on your own. We're seniors (not in college, the older kind) and aren't sure if we want to traipse around for five hours.

Basically my question is, for anyone familiar with the port, can we just walk around it for a bit? I've read that some of the Hawaiian ports tend to be industrial, so want to make sure it's safe and there's something to do for a few hours.

When was cruised to Alaska we didn't plan any excursion and just walked around the various towns we docked at. We really enjoyed that but are wondering if the Hawaiian ports are less tourist friendly.

Thoughts?

Thanks

I've never visited the cruise port, but Kahului isn't a super interesting place generally. Lahaina is great, though! You'll find plenty of shops, restaurants, art galleries, and cafes there. There are also some monuments and a giant banyan tree right in the center of town. You can book all kinds of excursions from Lahaina, too, like glass bottom boats and semi-submarines and stuff like that. Something to do if you tire of walking around the town.

Lahaina is like a smaller, downscale version of Waikiki so yes, there is plenty to see. It’s very touristy which could be a pro or a con, depending on your travel style.

Kaanapali is a short ride away if you run out of things to do in Lahaina.

The traffic in/out of Lahaina can be horrendous so if the tour is five hours, you’ll probably only have about three hours to explore.

Lahaina is like a smaller, downscale version of Waikiki
Much, much smaller. There are no giant skyscrapers and the beach isn't really the point at all. Lahaina is more like a small town that you'd find in New England or something, but Hawaiian flavored. The downtown area is on the waterfront and that's probably where the tour bus would let everyone off. Shops, cafes, restaurants, art galleries, and lots of excursions. It's a very nice place to spend an afternoon.

Lahaina is like a smaller, downscale version of Waikiki so yes, there is plenty to see. It’s very touristy which could be a pro or a con, depending on your travel style.

Kaanapali is a short ride away if you run out of things to do in Lahaina.

The traffic in/out of Lahaina can be horrendous so if the tour is five hours, you’ll probably only have about three hours to explore.

Good to know about the traffic. I could explore all day but I fear my husband may soon get bored.

Much, much smaller. There are no giant skyscrapers and the beach isn't really the point at all. Lahaina is more like a small town that you'd find in New England or something, but Hawaiian flavored. The downtown area is on the waterfront and that's probably where the tour bus would let everyone off. Shops, cafes, restaurants, art galleries, and lots of excursions. It's a very nice place to spend an afternoon.

Sounds very peaceful. All I remember from my last visit YEARS ago was a yogurt place run by MASH's Gary Burghoff.

I agree with @Kwami. Lahaina bears no resemblance whatsoever to Waikiki. The two shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence!

You comment reminds me of leaving Port of Miami and arriving the next morning in Key West. Hard to believe the two cities are in the same state!

You will be much happier visiting Lahaina than staying at port.

Thanks for chiming in. Our first day in port we're doing a bus tour and I went ahead and booked the Day on Your Own in Lahaina for the second day.

There is an Enterprise car rental like half a mile from the port. You could get a car there and go anywhere you want for the day. As far as easygoing stuff, Iao Valley park is very pretty and there is a botanical garden up in the valley too. It’s maybe 20 minutes from the port. There’s also a kitesurfing beach and a bird sanctuary (closed until Jan 2023 though) across from each other, five minutes from the port. There’s another bird sanctuary maybe 20 minutes away also. Lots of little towns all within 30 minutes or so from the airport where you could poke around if Lahaina doesn’t sound like your thing. But there’s nothing really walkable from the port besides a Longs Drugs and a few other businesses—not “shopping” per se.

There is an Enterprise car rental like half a mile from the port. You could get a car there and go anywhere you want for the day. As far as easygoing stuff, Iao Valley park is very pretty and there is a botanical garden up in the valley too. It’s maybe 20 minutes from the port. There’s also a kitesurfing beach and a bird sanctuary (closed until Jan 2023 though) across from each other, five minutes from the port. There’s another bird sanctuary maybe 20 minutes away also. Lots of little towns all within 30 minutes or so from the airport where you could poke around if Lahaina doesn’t sound like your thing. But there’s nothing really walkable from the port besides a Longs Drugs and a few other businesses—not “shopping” per se.
Thank you, that’s helpful. Considering my husband used to live in Hawaii you’d think he would have more insight, but he claims that since he was just a year old at the time he had other things on his mind :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter