Question for packing cube fans!

mrsgthatsme

Mouseketeer
If you were just going to buy one set of packing cubes to start with (for use on a 2 day parks/4 day cruise trip) which sizes would you buy? I think we are going to pack for the kids in ziplocks, but for DH and me in the cubes. Should I get a set with 3 or 4 medium bags or a combo set with medium and larges? I don't have an interest in the small size since we will do underwear and socks in a ziplock for this time around. Are the large sized ones too large when packing only summer type clothes? Just curious as to what sizes you would suggest. Thank you!

I like the medium size. First the large don't always fit comfortably in my standard travel bag. Also with multiple medium's one of them can become a "dirty" bag on trips with multiple stops.

full

I don't have any larges - only mediums and smalls. It's worked out well. For the most part if it's not a cold destination, everyone gets one medium for clothes. Our last cruise, I brought along swim cover-ups (3 of them, a little bulky), DD's princess dress (also a little bulky), plus all the swimsuits - those fit in another medium.

These are the ones I have :
Modase (a little thicker material than the next ones)
https://www.amazon.com/Packing-Prem...avel,+4-Piece+Organizer+Bags+with+Laundry+Bag
SIZES - 4 Packing Cubes: Extra Large( 17.32" x 14.17" x 5.51") Large (14.17" x 13.39" x 4.72") Medium (14.17" x 11.42" x 3.94") Small (11.02" x 7.87" x 3.94")
I used the Large for pants and shorts and the Medium for shirts and tees. I also used the small for underwear, since I had it and it was more private.

Gonex
https://www.amazon.com/Gonex-Packin...g+Cubes+Travel+Luggage+Packing+Organizer&th=1
Sizes - 5 Packing Cubes: Extra Large( 17.7" x 13.78" x 3.54") Large (13.78" x 13.78" x 3.54") Medium (13.78" x 10.24" x 3.54") Small (11.4" x 7.09" x 3.54")Shoe Bag (13.39" x 9.45")
The sizes on this one are similar to the Modase. In fact, when put side by side, they are pretty much identical, except for the material. The Gonex products are more like a summer rain jacket, while the Modase is a little heavier, which helps it hold a shape SLIGHTLY more.
The shoe bag, unless you need a shoe bag, is good for corralling those electronics cords that seem to be floating around.

Gonex (the medium size set)
https://www.amazon.com/Gonex-Packin...el+Organizers+Luggage+Organizers+Pouches&th=1
Sizes - 3 Packing Cubes: Medium (13.78" x 10.24" x 3.54")
I used these the most, as we all had a lot of tops. I used 3 for myself and the rest of the family each got one, as well as a larger one for shorts.

I measured the inside of my suitcase and then bought various sizes of cubes and envelopes to fill it. It really depends on what your suitcase looks like (on the inside) and what kind of clothes you are packing.

I have several sets similar to the first ones that FigmentSpark posted. I also got my from Amazon. I really like the extra large and large size ones for my clothes(shorts, shirts, dresses, and jeans all fit nicely). I always over pack and was able to get a ton of clothes in them. Any clothes that my dd and I didn't wear on the trip were put all together in one extra large cube when packing to come home. No matter how many times I tell myself that we don't need all the clothes I pack, I still always end up packing 2 or 3 extra outfits, that I know we won't need. Our worn clothes went into a laundry bag that came with my set.

I have a small medium large set.

For 8 days in Hawaii last year I had all my tops in the medium and bottoms and beach coverups in the large.

DH has larges for everything. His clothes are also just bigger and bulkier.

All Ebags. One color per person.

For shorter trips everything goes into one large cube.

We have two sets of packing cubes that includes a mix of small, medium and large cubes.

I started out with mostly medium and one large for DH and I but ended up ordering an extra large one each. While the mediums are great for tops, bathing suits, etc the larger ones are better for bulkier items such as shorts, capris, pants. For your trip one large in addition to the mediums may work.

I measured the inside of my suitcase and then bought various sizes of cubes and envelopes to fill it. It really depends on what your suitcase looks like (on the inside) and what kind of clothes you are packing.

Be sure to measure first! I love the set I bought, but they don't fit well in the smaller bag we usually carry. There are extra cube-shaped spaces all around. I am planning to buy another set which have better dimensions. I roll all of the kids clothes and pack them in cubes as well. When doing multi-destination trips, rather than sorting out by person, I'll pack one bag or cube for each part of the trip. It works great when we change hotels, and we don't have to deal with the 'cruise' clothes while at Disney, etc.

What is the main benefit to the packing cubes? I am trying to talk myself into them, but don’t want to buy them just to buy them. We drive to the port, so space really is not an issue for us. My kids each take their own suitcase, so I dont need to organize their clothes. What am I missing?

I have two medium and one small sized compression cubes from Eagle Creek. I use the small cube for my underwear and the medium for my t-shirts and shorts.

What is the main benefit to the packing cubes? I am trying to talk myself into them, but don’t want to buy them just to buy them. We drive to the port, so space really is not an issue for us. My kids each take their own suitcase, so I dont need to organize their clothes. What am I missing?
That's where I was a year about regarding the cubes. I love them, now.

• When your suitcase isn't full ( :rotfl2: ), the cubes will keep the clothes from getting messed up in your suitcase.
  • It's easy to group your clothes for certain situations - formalwear, travel clothes, pjs, pirate night, etc.
  • When you're at home, packing, you could put your suitcases on the main floor and just bring down your packed cubes to load up the suitcases (and unload the same way), thus saving your back from hauling a heavy suitcase up and down the stairs.
  • You can bring an extra cube to pack your laundry, thus keeping it separate from the clean clothes.
  • If you do fly, and TSA wants to check through your bags, they can pull out a cube, rather than get their hands through your clean clothes.
  • You can pack more in cubes than not, as each is it's own little compression compartment, sort of.
  • If your suitcase handle and zipper breaks, you can easily transfer your things to a newly purchased suitcase, or to other family members' suitcases without too much hassle. (I know, I'm stretching, but you asked)

I hang up only those shirts and pants that need to be hung to take wrinkles out. The rest of my clothes I leave in the packing bags and stack the bags in the closet. My wife gets the drawers in the dresser and my clothes stay neat in the bags.

That's where I was a year about regarding the cubes. I love them, now.

• When your suitcase isn't full ( :rotfl2: ), the cubes will keep the clothes from getting messed up in your suitcase.
  • It's easy to group your clothes for certain situations - formalwear, travel clothes, pjs, pirate night, etc.
  • When you're at home, packing, you could put your suitcases on the main floor and just bring down your packed cubes to load up the suitcases (and unload the same way), thus saving your back from hauling a heavy suitcase up and down the stairs.
  • You can bring an extra cube to pack your laundry, thus keeping it separate from the clean clothes.
  • If you do fly, and TSA wants to check through your bags, they can pull out a cube, rather than get their hands through your clean clothes.
  • You can pack more in cubes than not, as each is it's own little compression compartment, sort of.
  • If your suitcase handle and zipper breaks, you can easily transfer your things to a newly purchased suitcase, or to other family members' suitcases without too much hassle. (I know, I'm stretching, but you asked)

Oh I love idea of packing the suitcases downstairs, I am always lugging a 50 lbs suitcase downtown the stairs!!!

I hang up only those shirts and pants that need to be hung to take wrinkles out. The rest of my clothes I leave in the packing bags and stack the bags in the closet. My wife gets the drawers in the dresser and my clothes stay neat in the bags.

That makes sense.

I find I can fit more clothes in and it’s more organized. My kids are too little to carry their own suitcases, so we find it easier to bring 2-3 large suitcases for 4 people.

I also really like being able to split things out by person and by day or occasion. We tend to take vacations that have multiple vacations. For example this year we went to Puerto Rico for a few days, cruised on a repo to PC and then spent a few days in Orlando. I was able to have cubes for myself and for the kids designated for Puerto Rico, for the cruise (which was much more complicated and required multiple outfits plus costumes for the kids), stuff for Orlando, etc. In each location I just pulled out the necessary cubes and put them in drawers and left the rest in suitcases.

Last year’s vacation I didn’t organize that well and by the 2nd location my suitcase was a jumble of clothes for myself and two kids and I couldn’t find anything at all.

I find I can fit more clothes in and it’s more organized. My kids are too little to carry their own suitcases, so we find it easier to bring 2-3 large suitcases for 4 people.

I also really like being able to split things out by person and by day or occasion. We tend to take vacations that have multiple vacations. For example this year we went to Puerto Rico for a few days, cruised on a repo to PC and then spent a few days in Orlando. I was able to have cubes for myself and for the kids designated for Puerto Rico, for the cruise (which was much more complicated and required multiple outfits plus costumes for the kids), stuff for Orlando, etc. In each location I just pulled out the necessary cubes and put them in drawers and left the rest in suitcases.

Last year’s vacation I didn’t organize that well and by the 2nd location my suitcase was a jumble of clothes for myself and two kids and I couldn’t find anything at all.

I can totally understand how the packing cubes would be great for organizing like this.

I used all mediums to make a separate cube for our 4 day cruise, 3 days at WDW, swim stuff, pajamas, and extra warmer clothes (sweatshirt, jeans, etc.). The large would be good if you are packing larger clothing like many jeans and sweatshirts or if you want to put most of your clothes into one big cube without separating shirts, pants, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter