Question for the smart people

I sometimes experience static shocks due to brushing the covers on our family room furniture as I am getting up. I won't know I was building up the static until I touch the handle of our sliding door, for example. It also might happen as the result of ruffling the fur of one of my pets.

Is it real hardwood or laminate? Especially if it's the latter the insulating nature of the plastic can mean a build up of static as your feet rub against the surface.

A lot of plumbing is grounded, so touching the metal will create a path for any static on you to jump. I used to get this a lot on my car. It wasn't so bad if I touched my key to the keyhole, but I could actually see and hear the spark. Didn't hurt if the spark was from the tip of the key to the keyhole.

It's an electric stove.

No, I have no carpeting in my house. No area rugs either. Plus, I'm not talking about door handles or taps, those don't actually shock me. It's just been when I stick my hand in the sink full of water to do the dishes and when I open our fridge, with a plastic handle. So, I should not be getting shocks from non metallic things.
Note, plastic is a huge problem with static electricity. If you don't think so, come to my work where I've almost gotten knocked off of ladders and the worst was knocked back 8 feet almost onto the floor from static buildup of moving plastic materials. That last one, my entire arm and shoulder was numb for hours.

Added: Does this make me semi smart at least?

Funny I came upon this thread. Last couple weeks in my classroom I was getting a shock when I would touch the metal door knob. I know that’s not unusual but it had not happened previously, during the winter months. And the floor is tiled. Wasn’t happening to the kids either.
Did you get the vaccine? :jester:

Is it real hardwood or laminate? Especially if it's the latter the insulating nature of the plastic can mean a build up of static as your feet rub against the surface.

A lot of plumbing is grounded, so touching the metal will create a path for any static on you to jump. I used to get this a lot on my car. It wasn't so bad if I touched my key to the keyhole, but I could actually see and hear the spark. Didn't hurt if the spark was from the tip of the key to the keyhole.

It’s probably laminate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter