Question from the UK about DW etiquette...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellie Webbs

DIS Veteran
So DH is very excited about seeing a few restaurants during our next visit and as we are doing a few 2 credit dinners we've maxed out our credits on the DDP. Some places including the new space restaurant for example we don't want to eat at, we would just like to get a drink to be able to look inside. If we booked a table, just ordered a drink / maybe a starter to share, got out in good time (15 mins let's say) and tipped accordingly do you think this would be ok? Or are we getting into spitting into drinks territory 😂😂😂

People do that all time, so you'd be fine. Before BOG was a fixed menu, it was a trend there - make an ADR, get a cupcake, see the castle & meet Beast. Have fun!

People do that all time, so you'd be fine. Before BOG was a fixed menu, it was a trend there - make an ADR, get a cupcake, see the castle & meet Beast. Have fun!
I'm so glad you say that, we don't want to offend anyone but just want to see and do as much as possible!!!!

I was thinking along the same lines as cincystamper above me....if Disney doesn't want this happening at a restaurant..they'll switch it to a buffet or a prix fixe so that the option is no longer available.

You will be fine have fun. I do a variation of this every trip. The girls go into town to shop. I hit as many of the deluxe hotels as I can taking pictures. At some of the places people have let me into the entrance area of restaurants just to take pictures.

If the restaurant has a bar like Flying Fish or Prime Time, or an attached lounge like Tiffins (Nomad) or Brown Derby you can also order food from the lounge/bar... and the bars/lounges will be walk-up without an ADR.

I would also say go for it, but my personal caveat is that i think in these situations it’s most appropriate to tip as if you’ve eaten a full meal or at least increase your tipping %age, rather than just tipping on your drinks and/or snacks.

We've done this several times, usually we order an appetizer, drinks and a dessert or two to share. As stated previously, we do increase our tip.

My parents do this all the time or they share an app and an entrée because they find the portion sizes too big for them. You should be fine. Disney turns tables over so fast the server probably won't even blink an eye because get 2 tables in what should have been the time of one. As others have mentioned, the bar/lounge is always a good option as well. We have had such fun interactions with cast member bartenders over the years when having a meal at bar ( and they usually have some great personal signature cocktails they can whip up for you).

Drinks only is definitely unreasonable but if your ordering an app or entree that’s different.

The OP can order whatever she wants. Unless there is a directive from management there are no ordering requirements.

Have you looked at the drinks menu lately? My DH and I stopped into Rose and Crown after dinner one evening for wine and to get out of the rain. WE each had two cocktails, scotch for him and wine for me. We spent way more than if we ordered coffee and a desert to share and the server was perfectly happy to have us.

You will never be in and out of a ts restaurant in 15 minutes. Never going to happen. Just getting seated, getting your menu having a server come over is a process

Placing your order, getting your order, consuming your order, getting your bill, paying your bill, getting change back or cc slip to sign. All takes time.

I get it, there are a lot of neat places. But there really aren’t any restaurants that fascinating, imho, to warrant this exercise. Not to mention, you will need an adr for all of them! Which includes a no show fee

Now, back to your real question.

Going to a ts restaurant for just a cocktail is a faux pas. I am a supporter of order what you want, but just a cocktail is what bars and lounges are for.

Now if you are doing drinks and apps? I’m all for it.

Personal tipping habits is not a topic for discussion, so please don’t say anything about tipping. Those posts will be removed without comment.

When you are planning out your days, do not underestimate how long things take. Resort to resort using Disney transportation takes 60-90 minutes. Resort to park 60 minutes. Park to resort about the same. Everything takes longer than you think!

We did it last year when we were down in August, and it was really hot as you can imagine. We were at MK and dying for a cold beer, only to find out we could only get one ar TS restaurant. We stopped in at Skipper Canteen and were warmly welcomed.

The OP can order whatever she wants. Unless there is a directive from management there are no ordering requirements.

Have you looked at the drinks menu lately? My DH and I stopped into Rose and Crown after dinner one evening for wine and to get out of the rain. WE each had two cocktails, scotch for him and wine for me. We spent way more than if we ordered coffee and a desert to share and the server was perfectly happy to have us.

Ordering only drinks at a restaurant is very tacky. There is a difference between a bar and restaurant. Of course the sever was polite, it’s Disney World and they are trained that way. If you want drinks only go to a bar there’s a million of them at Epcot (or the bar counter within a restaurant).

This thread is closed, personal tipping habits is not a topic for discussion

OP I hope you have a wonderful trip :cutie:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter