Question if you had LASIK in the past

Skippy918

DIS Veteran
I had LASIK about 12 years ago and my vision over the last year or so has started to regress a bit enough to where I need glasses for distance like driving or viewing presentations at work on the projector. My pre-lasik prescription was in the -6 to -7 diopters with astigmatism. Now I am at -.5 to-.75.

If you had lasik over 5 to 10 years ago, do you still see 20/20 or do you now need glasses?

My husband had the surgery over 6 years ago. He recently started to wear reading glasses, but that was an expected outcome due to aging.

I am having the same issues - I noticed it about 15 yrs after the procedure - I wear glasses driving at night or in the rain and at work conferences to see slides. I went back to eye center for a "tune up" and was told if they did that I would need glasses for reading and computer work - I did not have a 2nd procedure based on that

If you are around 40, you are experiencing the natural loss of vision due to the brittleness of the lens for focusing. LASIK only works for so long. Once you start aging, you will need reading glasses.

I had it done in my mid 20's, the Dr. Did tell me when I became older, I would need reading glasses, the surgery doesn't prevent that from happening.

I know about the needing reading glasses. It's my distance vision that is not 20/20 anymore.

I know about the needing reading glasses. It's my distance vision that is not 20/20 anymore.

As I said, I have not had Lasik but prior to getting up there, I had 20/15 vision with fabulous distance vision. Actually I was farsighted. Now my reading and distance vision are going for the same reason. According to my opthamolgist, when you are farsighted, that same very, pliant muscle/lens in your eye that helps you focus for reading also helps you to compensate for farsightedness so that you don't need glasses and you see great. Once that goes, you need reading glasses AND distance glasses. Right now I take a 2.25 for reading and a 1.25 for distance. Started at about .75 for distance when I hit my mid-40s. Not saying this is your same issues, but the aging eyeball can effect your distance vision too depending on what your baseline was.

I had LASIK about 12 years ago and my vision over the last year or so has started to regress a bit enough to where I need glasses for distance like driving or viewing presentations at work on the projector. My pre-lasik prescription was in the -6 to -7 diopters with astigmatism. Now I am at -.5 to-.75.

If you had lasik over 5 to 10 years ago, do you still see 20/20 or do you now need glasses?

Mine's regressed. Nowhere near how bad it was before, but enough that I'm more comfortable wearing glasses for distance. Reading glasses for sure.

I had it 13 years ago. I now need those little magnifying lenses to read small print.

I had it in the mid 90,s ,after about 10-12 years my eyes started to regress

Timely. I just had an eye appointment last month to address this. I had LASIK in 2008 (at age 25) and at that time had 20/15. I now am noticing a decrease in vision quality. I honestly can't remember the details, I have a slight prescription in both eyes (less than 1). She said she didn't recommend glasses at this time, because together they are fine to drive (one eye is better close, the other is better at distance), and to just monitor with each passing year. She said that they don't do LASIK revision surgery until you have at least 1.0 in each eye (which I don't) and I'm not sure I'd want surgery again anyway. I won't do contacts again - my astigmatism made them just too uncomfortable, even with special contacts, but I will probably need glasses here in a few years.

Had mine in 1999, at age 20. Still see fine, but I know it will regress at some point. Worth it to have as long as I have had without lenses!

I had it at around 48. Now that I'm 60 I need reading glasses and I wear a slight rx for driving at night. I can still see the tv fine, if we sit in the balcony at a Broadway show I also need the slight distance rx.

Dh and I had ours 17 years ago.
He has been wearing reading glasses, a lot, for a few years. I am very very close to needing them more than the very occasional micro print on something.
We are pushing 48 and 50 this year.
He only had one eye done with Lasik. He hasn't said anything about his distance being an issue.
I am still pretty good on distance, but I can't tell it's not like it used to be. I haven't had it checked lately, and I probably should.

I had mine done about 16 years ago and needed the reading glasses by 50 but otherwise still drive without glasses.

I had it done in 2007 when I was 23. By 2012 I was wearing glasses again full time, and it got a little worse each year. This is the first year it has stayed the same. If I can stay the same for another year, they will do the surgery again (-1.75 in each eye now I believe).

Mine lasted about 11 years, then I needed to get glasses again to see distances. My mid range vision is still fine, but I've got a -1 for distance vision. When I asked my eye doctor about it, he said Lasik will correct your current vision, but if your prescription changes regularly, you'll eventually need glasses or a touchup again. I had really bad astigmatism in addition to my crummy vision, so am not eligible for a touchup and just got glasses.

Interesting reading. I'm 45 and don't wear any corrective measures...glasses or contacts, I've been lucky. But age is catching up. It's near impossible for me to read a magazine anymore without holding it at arms length. I hate glasses and don't like the idea of sticking my finger in my eye for contacts. Would like to do Lasik, but don't know a ton about it. Yes, I know, I need to consult with an eye doctor, and I will.

But for those who don't mind sharing, if you've had it done recently, how much did it cost after all was said and done? What was the procedure like? How dramatic were the results (big improvement)?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter