Question on Hwy 429 Tolls

Ratpack

WL VET
DVC Gold
Planning for trip down in July and we usually take I-4 all the way in from I-95. However, DW now has a lot of anxiety when travelling in very crowded interstates and I prefer her to not be as stressed when we arrive. Orlando is usually our biggest headache when coming in and leaving for that matter. We will be arriving on a Saturday morning, so I figured we would just take Hwy 429 around and get off when we get to Western Way. My question is can you pay all tolls from I-4 to Western way with cash? I don't have Sunpass or any other system and no plans to get one since I avoid toll roads 99% of the time.

According to this map from the FL Turnpike, the Southern section of SR-429 accepts either SunPass or Cash. The Northern Section is SunPass only. For all sections, if you don't pay cash or have a compatible transponder, they will mail you a bill (aka Toll By Plate).

https://floridasturnpike.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/SunPass_Map-12x18_022123_updated.pdf
So, I could treat all sections as Toll by Plate and have them send me a bill for the entire thing? That would be the easiest since I wouldn't have to stop at all, just roll on through and settle after the trip.

Thanks, I would look into a transponder if I had a place to mount it. I wonder if it works if it is just sitting on the dash.
You can't mount it on the windshield? Depending on the type they come with suction cups. Dash isn't guaranteed to read.
20230518_123948.jpg

Actually, you can get the sticky back transponder as well (I never liked the suction cups). 429 to WW is the only way I go to/from WDW. It's getting incredibly busier with all the homes their plopping in (you'll look left and right and see rows and rows of new homes).

Toll by plate doesn't get the discount that the Sunpass gets (~25%).

Thanks for the info, I think the Toll by Plate is my best option. Cost will be about the same for me to pay the toll or to pay for a transponder to get the discount. And since it would only be used once a year, this just makes it easier for them to send me a bill.

Sorry, one final question. If I am using Hwy 429, where could I get off of I-$ to avoid the section that does not have the cash booths?

Sorry, one final question. If I am using Hwy 429, where could I get off of I-$ to avoid the section that does not have the cash booths?
There is no way to use SR-429 coming from the North to skip I-4 through Orlando and avoid the cashless section. Your other option would be to take SR-417 which goes around Orlando on the east side which does have a cash toll option.

Only the toll roads shown in blue on the map below have cash booths.
1715969837444.png

There is no way to use SR-429 coming from the North to skip I-4 through Orlando and avoid the cashless section. Your other option would be to take SR-417 which goes around Orlando on the east side which does have a cash toll option.

Only the toll roads shown in blue on the map below have cash booths.
View attachment 860732
Thanks. I have actually ordered my Sunpass and I am going to put together a RAM mount system to mount on the dash that will hold the transponder up to the windshield. It will be in the bottom half of the windshield but should still work. If I read it correctly, since my license plate is tied to my account, even if the transponder doesn't read, they will charge my account based off my license plate and not send me a bill?

If I read it correctly, since my license plate is tied to my account, even if the transponder doesn't read, they will charge my account based off my license plate and not send me a bill?
Yes, they are supposed to do that.

It’s completely out of the way if you’re coming from Orlando or the airport.

I prefer 417 over 429 coming from MCO as I avoid I4 whenever possible.
I would be coming I-4 from I-95. I have taken 417 many times, but never 429 from that point. I guess what I'm asking, if I'm driving I-4, would it be faster to take 429 or 417(to avoid I-4 as long as possible)to get to WDW?

I would be coming I-4 from I-95. I have taken 417 many times, but never 429 from that point. I guess what I'm asking, if I'm driving I-4, would it be faster to take 429 or 417(to avoid I-4 as long as possible)to get to WDW?
417, but I-4 is more direct, especially now that the express lanes are open.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter