• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question on renting points?

coach1988

Earning My Ears
Does anyone know how a renter can "confirm" a reservation? If the DVC Member services won't speak to the renter, how can they independently evaluate the reservation? The renter was sent a confirmation with Disney letterhead. Advice or suggestions?

some DVC members set up a conference call with the renter, but that can be complicated.

a few days before travel, the renter can call the resort directly and they should have the information in the system.

you can get a copy of the confirmation mailed to you shortly afterwards, but as you seem to understand, the reservation is still in the control of the DVC member (i.e. while it's unlikely that they would cancel out of spite, they still have the power to do so.)

if you want to save money by renting, trust (i.e. worry) is just the price you pay (along with limiting your options for cancelling the reservation.) i decided it was easier to buy a small contract myself...

Short answer - you can't. Even if you get a conference call with the owner going and a copy of the reservation on Disney letterhead in hand - there is nothing stopping the owner from calling up and cancelling your reservation.

Renting is a great deal - but its a great deal for a few reasons. The VAST majority of rentals go off without a hitch - and when there are problems it tends not to be malicious - its misunderstanding of cancellation policies, or someother sort of "not understanding what you are getting" problem. However, its best to think of this like any internet transaction with a private individual...

I think the biggest risk with DVC reservations is that you'll need to cancel. DVC is not nearly as easy to cancel as a CRO reservation - you should anticipate that all transactions will be treated as final. Its possible that the member will be able and willing to work with you if your kids come down with the flu - its possible that they'll say 'gee, I'm sorry, but there isn't anything I can do.'

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter