Question re: Annual passports vs. Disney Travel Co. hoppers

nordey

Earning My Ears
I'm relatively new to this sight and am in awe of some of the great information here!

I have a question about Disneyland tickets.

In the past our family has always booked a vacation package through the Disneyland Travel Company and in doing so we get the multiple-day park hopper tickets that give you access to multiple (unlimited really) fastpasses.

This year my kids and I will be taking two trips - a family trip in June and then again with my Mom and Sister's family for my mom's 50th b-day in early December. Because of the low cost of the lowest grade Annual Passport I was considering just getting AP's for this year instead of buying the pricy hoppers twice.

BUT first I want to know if I can get multiple FastPass with an AP? Does anyone know?

THANKS! :earsgirl:

AP's are like regular PH's--that is to say, I've heard that when you purchase through AAA, you can have unlimited FP's, but whenever I've purchased my PH's, they were normal, and I could (technically) only have one FP at a time. With my AP, I can have (technically) one FP at a time. In reality, I try for a FP whenever I feel like it, and sometimes I come across one that's not "networked" to the others and get multiple FP's at one time. I know that someone somewhere has a list of which machines aren't linked so you can get multiple FP's, but I have yet to memorize the list. :earboy2:

Also keep in mind that with AP's you get discounts at the park, which might not seem like a lot but can add up.

I believe AAA is the only way to get the ulimited fastpasses now.

Working the 'network' is not as advantageous as it used to be. The only fastpass machines that are not networked are Grizzly River Run and Star Tours. (This means that you can get a fastpass for each of these rides, even if you already have a fastpass for something else). But at times Star Tours gets networked. The other rides that were not connected have now had the fastpass machines removed.

I'd say go for the AP. Just so long as you won't have a conflict with any of the blackout days. The Deluxe blocks out all Saturdays from Easter to Labor Day and the 2 weeks surrounding Christmas and New Years.

If you're going to book through WDTC, or an agent that books through them, you might want to consider getting park hoppers then upgrading to an AP -- that way you can get the preferred seating, pin & lanyard, etc.

There is a lot of great info in the replies everyone else has already given you, but I did want to clarify for you that if you really like the multiple (unlimited) FastPass feature, it is no longer available thru DTC. The ONLY way to have that feature on your hoppers is to buy a package thru AAA (package must include lodging at one of the 3 DLR hotels).

However, that said, now that they have eliminated FP from some of the rides (ie POTC) I don't know that the unlimited FP feature is as usual as it was in the past.

Also, the less expensive A/P has many blackout dates, be sure those don't coincide with your vacation plans.

And as Mary Jo said, start with your hoppers then upgrade to an A/P once you are there.

Another tip on the passports. We normally purchase AAA package and then upgrade on the 2nd or 3rd day at DL. I purchase our family members the deluxe passes, and get the premium one for myself. That way we can have free parking with my pass, plus discounts on food and purchases (since I seem to always be the one making the food and gift purchases). Some recommended this to us a couple of years ago, and it has worked great for our family.

Thanks for all the great replies - I guess I still have a lot to think about.

I didn't realize that booking through DTC wouldn't get me multiple FP anymore. I guess it's been too long since I've been to D! (2.5 years!)!

AAA is an option for our December trip but not the June trip so maybe I'll just bite the bullet and buy AP's. None of are travel dates coincide with blackout-dates; Our 1'st week in June is Monday through Thursday and our 2nd week in December will be Saturday through Thursday (I don't think that's a blackout weekend).

Another question - If I do decide to get the Premium passport for myself, are the savings at DGC worth it for my December trip or would I be just as likely to find a similar deal through AAA?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter