Question re: WDW ECVs

busymom_ot

Earning My Ears
We are planning to rent an ECV at the parks next week for my mom. It sounds more convenient for us since we'll only be there 3 days & she can walk some (ie to the bus stops) just not all day. Have people generally been satisfied with the ones available at the parks? Also is there a basket or storage area on them for a backpack, etc? This will be our first time to the World without a stroller & I was hoping she'll be able to carry some things for us!

Thanks for any input.

There are a number of company's in the Orlando area that will rent you a new scooter for any level of disibility. The prices are less for a 24 hr period than the cost for just a day in the park.
You can make arrangements prior to you arrival and have the chair waiting for you at your WDW hotel or campsite.
They deliver and pick up your mobility disability device to and from you Disney residence, all with the concerned help of Disney Cast Members.
With the acception of allowing disabled persons who use Segway's, Disney does everything possible for mobility disability.
It is much easier to start the day with the scooter and end it in your room with the mobilty scooter available for your every need.

busymom_ot said:
We are planning to rent an ECV at the parks next week for my mom. It sounds more convenient for us since we'll only be there 3 days & she can walk some (ie to the bus stops) just not all day. Have people generally been satisfied with the ones available at the parks? Also is there a basket or storage area on them for a backpack, etc? This will be our first time to the World without a stroller & I was hoping she'll be able to carry some things for us!

Thanks for any input.

The 4-wheeled monsters at WDW are SO cumbersome. Ok, I have a 3-wheeled Cadillac of a scooter that I usually take but had to rent a Disney scooter for a day last time I went...UGH! They are so slow and SO hard to steer that, because of the steering, my shoulders were positively aching the next day. My recommendation? Save your strength and rent one from off-site. Your arms will thank you...

Often with my scooter I become the "Sherpa". I have been known to drive around with the basket full, bags hanging from both sides of the handlebar and stuff on the floorboards.

I have to agree with Videogal. I had problems with the ECV I rented offsite last trip, and one of the Managers in Tomorrowland was great in contacting the company to arrange for a replacement (the next day), arranging for somebody from MK's wheelchair rental to ride one of theirs down to me so I could get out of the park (and roll the one I had to the front of the park so it could be picked up) and getting me a ride to the Polynesian for my ADR. Anyway, the Disney ECV was SO difficult to operate! I mean, I appreciate everything Disney did for me, I really do. But the Disney ECVs are large and bulky; they have four wheels instead of the three that the off-site ones do; they're truly harder to steer; the controls are different - the offsite rentals I've had have one throttle/control for forward and another for reverse - the Disney ECVs you have to put into reverse and use the same single throttle...

Now, if ALL I'd used was Disney ECVs, I might feel differently. But Busymom - if your mom doesn't want to spend all her time in the ECV, another adult in your party can drive it occasionally while she walks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter