Question regarding Developer's Points

KristiKelly

<font color=red>DIS Veteran<br><font color=purple>
I don't know if anyone can answer this for me or not. I was going to call DVC but thought I'd ask here first. We have Dev. Points, from our SSR purchase, that must be used by Sept. 30, 2005. We have a trip planned for 9/24-10/1 @ BWV. I saw on the news last night that there is a "system" off the coast of South Africa that they're watching and could possibly hit Fl. in the next 10 days or so.

We would not cancel unless there is a 100% chance of a hurricane hitting Orlando. If we were to cancel, would DVC allow an extension on those Dev. Points since they are due to expire 9/30 or would we just lose them? Does this make sense what I'm asking?

I wish I could be of more help, but I just don't know the answer. DVC has been flexible in the past, but there is no gaurantee for the future.

On a side note, there is never a 100% chance of a hurricane hitting Orlando, until it actually has hit.
Hurrcanes have an odd sense of humor about maintaning a predicted track. Also, hurricanes will be about two categories weaker by the time they come inland as far as Orlando.

Good Luck!... :drinking:

MG

We've actually been in the parks during the last 2 systems to come through the area and found them to be great days to be there! Attendance was definitely lighter that day (I'm guessing locals stayed home and those on property had a resort day?), but the systems really made little more difference than a typical summer rain storm. Now a MAJOR hurricane would, of course, be different.....but the effects of the last 2 to go through the area were nothing to cancel over.

Hope you have a good trip!

KristiKelly said:
...I saw on the news last night that there is a "system" off the coast of South Africa that they're watching and could possibly hit Fl. in the next 10 days or so...
Well, I am guess that they meant West Africa, since that's where North Atlantic hurricanes generally start their lives as "waves" in the atmosphere. No weather system developing off the coast of South Africa is ever gonna hit Florida because it's in the opposite hemisphere (storms circulate the other way there, just like the drains). Plus it's winter down there, so not enough warm water to develop anything serious.

Now West Africa is another story. Things start over in the Gulf of Guinea with really warm waters developing a low pressure system, then as things move a little bit north, they pick up the cyclonic spin that they need to become hurricanes, and if there is lots more warm water to feed on, they whip up into a frenzy and slam into the Carribean.

I hope nothing comes of it. Enjoy the trip!

pumpkinboy said:
Well, I am guess that they meant West Africa, since that's where North Atlantic hurricanes generally start their lives as "waves" in the atmosphere. No weather system developing off the coast of South Africa is ever gonna hit Florida because it's in the opposite hemisphere (storms circulate the other way there, just like the drains). Plus it's winter down there, so not enough warm water to develop anything serious.

Now West Africa is another story. Things start over in the Gulf of Guinea with really warm waters developing a low pressure system, then as things move a little bit north, they pick up the cyclonic spin that they need to become hurricanes, and if there is lots more warm water to feed on, they whip up into a frenzy and slam into the Carribean.

I hope nothing comes of it. Enjoy the trip!

You are right, it's not South Africa. We have some friends from S. Africa so it's just a habit to say that.

I hope nothing comes of it either. We would not cancel unless it was going to hit direct & be really bad. We live in NC so we're no stranger to hurricanes. I was just wondering if anyone knew what DVC would do.

KristiKelly said:
I don't know if anyone can answer this for me or not. I was going to call DVC but thought I'd ask here first. We have Dev. Points, from our SSR purchase, that must be used by Sept. 30, 2005. We have a trip planned for 9/24-10/1 @ BWV. I saw on the news last night that there is a "system" off the coast of South Africa that they're watching and could possibly hit Fl. in the next 10 days or so.
There's a little wave off the coast of W. Africa, but what else is new? That's just normal weather in that area this time of year. It's way, way too early to tell whether that will even develop into a tropical system, and if it does, who knows where it will go?

However...there is a wave southeast of the Windward Islands that may have some promise. It's currently about 51W, south of 17N, and the NHC says it could develop into a tropical cyclone within 24 hours. A few hours ago, I couldn't even find it on the satellite imagery, but I can see it now. Where it goes from there is anybody's guess, but storms that originate in that area usually threaten Florida. We try our darndest to send them up to NC, as you just saw with Ophelia.

Again, it's too early to tell, but I'd keep an eye on that system. The timing would be about right for your trip if anything at all happens with it.

The wave I mentioned above has developed into Tropical Depression 17. It is currently about 370 miles east of Barbados. NHC will issue their first advisory on TD 17 at 11 AM this morning.

I just saw that as well. I called DVC yesterday afternoon. The CM I spoke with didn't have a real answer for me but I was told that they have worked with people in the past. So far, I'm not worried. If we have a rainy day or 2 we'll survive.

Hey, we are scheduled to fly out next Satuday the 24th and come back October 1st. So we're watching it too. We were down there last year the last week in September and Hurricane Jeanne hit. I had butterflies in my stomach when we were flying down there (you know, what am I doing, flying into a hurricane?) :rotfl: Everybody else is going north and I'm going south thoughts :rolleyes:

But Disney took good care of everybody. We had two days of rain and wind and the next day it was bright and sunny. The Wilderness Lodge even had live entertainment in the lobby. We had a very large group going so trying to cancel and reschedule that many people would have been nuts.

Well, we've got another large group going this year so I'm really hoping it won't be a repeat of last year. Hurricane Jeanne had weakened considerably by the time it came over Orlando. I definitely wouldn't want to be on the coast during a hurricane, though. NO thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter