Question regarding Victoria BC for my Canadian friends

That is our plan! We will spend some of our time exploring.

Since you live there, is air conditioning necessary during mid June? I'm noticing that some hotels do not have AC.

If I may ask you another question: is there a hotel location (or even a specific hotel) that would provide us with some wonderful views?

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. It is much appreciated.
Are specific hotel recommendations allowed on this site, or is it that considered spamming? I don't want to get in trouble here! :)

Are specific hotel recommendations allowed on this site, or is it that considered spamming? I don't want to get in trouble here! :)
I've read plenty of other hotel recommendations on these boards for various places.

I'd love to hear your opinions--especially about the need for AC in June.

We're from the Vancouver area, and have made many trips to Vancouver Island. Victoria is indeed a lovely city, and if you have a car, you could also explore Parksville (2 hours drive), as well as Long Beach (4 hours drive). If, however, time is limited, you can definitely spend all your time enjoying Victoria itself!

The "Grand Californian" or "Grand Floridian" of Victoria is The Fairmont Empress hotel. It is *the* iconic Victoria hotel, dating back to the early 1900's. It's the hotel you see in all those glossy brochures about Victoria, and even has its own Wikipedia entry! Expensive, but right in the middle of the Inner Harbour area, walkable to many sights.

Five minutes walk from The Empress is The Parkside Hotel and Spa, where we stayed earlier this year. Much more affordable, full kitchenettes (useful for leftovers!), and still within walking distance of the Inner Harbour. No air conditioning, but we had a nice balcony, a nice view, and good air circulation!

There's also a Marriott between the Empress and the Parkside, where we've also stayed -- a reliable choice. I'll attach a map so you see how close everything is: the ferry from Port Angeles if you choose to come from Washington state, the three hotels, the BC Museum, the Legislature... One of the main walkable tourist areas is on Government St. (the north/south street on the waterfront) just a block north of the top of this image.
dt victoria.jpg

Air conditioning could be an issue depending on when you come exactly, as well as the construction of the hotel you decide to stay in. The Empress and Marriott will be fine; I have had friends stay at the Parkside during the summer, and I haven't heard any complaints. Some smaller hotels might have problems if you arrive during an especially warm spell. June can get warm, but it's later in the summer when temperatures start to rise more.

Let me know if you have more questions -- I really enjoy sharing the things we've learned from our vacation experiences!

I stayed at The Oswego in August . The did not have air conditioning but at the time we did not need it But if we had stayed a few weeks before might have needed it. Locationwise was great. They have a kitchenette and restaurant on site but it was closed most of the time we were there. Not sure if things are a bit better but check when restaurants are open before going. I found a lot of places closed Monday and Tuesday or some Monday to Wednesday.

Thank you so much for this really helpful information.

If I may ask you a few more questions:

We are not at all adverse to walking and usually walk 8-10 miles a day during our vacations.

Given that driving a car downtown is not recommended, where would you suggest we stay?

We also will need to return the car and board the ferry to Seattle.

That is our plan! We will spend some of our time exploring.

Since you live there, is air conditioning necessary during mid June? I'm noticing that some hotels do not have AC.

If I may ask you another question: is there a hotel location (or even a specific hotel) that would provide us with some wonderful views?

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. It is much appreciated.

Okay, so re: AC in June.

Short answer is no, it will likely not be needed. Victorians jokingly refer to June as "June-uary" because it can be downright chilly some years! AC is not usually needed until August and some years it is not needed at all. I've been here since 1992 and did not have AC until we bought one in 2021 during the heatwave that saw temps in the 40's! We needed it this year as well but definitely not in June!

As for hotels, definitely look at ones in the Inner Harbour and avoid any on Gorge Road. Those are pretty iffy at best so don't be lured in by cheap prices.

If you search "hotels inner harbour victoria bc" and look for ones in this area, you will be within walking distance of everything downtown.

inner harbour.jpg

As for good views, the Inn at Laurel Point has some lovely views, I think they are called Sunset View. But really you can't go wrong if you stay anywhere right at the water. A little outside of downtown is The Ocean Pointe (it is the one that is located just above Songhees Park, the price in this screen shot is $253 and is green, just for reference). It is a really lovely hotel and a short walk across the Johnson St. Bridge to downtown.

Thank you so much for all of this wonderful information!

I tentatively have a reservation at the Best Western Inner Harbor. Good location?

Although it does not have AC, is does have a balcony that would allow us for a nice breeze, if necessary.

Another criteria that is important to us is the ability to do laundry. We tend to travel lightly, so doing laundry is important.

I'm also considering the Chateau Victoria Hotel and Suites. It appears to have AC as well as onsite laundry.

I tentatively have a reservation at the Best Western Inner Harbor. Good location?

I've not stayed there, but it looks like a nice place! There's lots you can do in a 15-20 minute walking radius. As for the heat situation, if you can get a north-facing room, you'd have the benefits of a harbour view (possibly) as well as shade during the day.

Tip: if you like chocolate dipped ice cream, try Chocolats Favoris on Government Street!

https://www.chocolatsfavoris.com/pages/ice-cream-dessert

Do spend a bit of time comparing prices between renting a car in Vancouver vs Victoria.

I was planning to fly to Vancouver, take the ferry over, and rent a car in Victoria. It turned out to be cheaper for me to rent a car in Vancouver and pay for it to travel by ferry to Victoria.

This also meant I didn’t have to worry about the logistics of carting luggage on the ferry.

I was going to get a hotel in downtown Victoria but ended up booking the Robin Hood Inn. Parking in downtown Victoria wasn’t as difficult or as expensive as expected. Plus the hotel offered a free shuttle to downtown (as well as the ferry dock an hour away). I ended up driving for convenience and parking several blocks from Fan Tan Alley was pretty convenient.

We booked it partly due to it having the room type we wanted (with kitchenette) at the right price (it’s a motel) and then for the free stuff they offer:
  • E-bikes: 8 am - 11 am, 12 pm - 3 pm, 4 pm - 7 pm
  • Kayaking and Paddleboarding are available YEAR-ROUND and PFD (Personal Floatation Device) recommended
  • Shuttle Service pick up and drop off from and to the hotel, including Swartz Bay BC ferry terminal, downtown, and YYJ airport. (9 am to 8 pm), reservations are strongly recommended
  • Complimentary Fitness centre pass, Fitness World near the Inn, free for our guests, including classes! - for direct booking only :)
  • Outdoor Courtyard
  • Picnic Tables
  • Free Parking on site
  • 2 Tesla and one EV charging station
  • Walk-a-round covered balconies
  • 2nd floor south facing sundeck
I’d go back. It saved us a bunch of money and we had an awesome time. The e-bikes are a great way to get around. You may even consider not getting a car and just taking the shuttle from the ferry dock to the hotel and using the e-bike and shuttle to get around.

BTW, the fish and chips joint in Victoria’s Fisherman’s Wharf is wayyy better than the one in Vancouver’s version. Absolutely delicious!

For Vancouver, we booked the Rosellen Suites at Stanley Park via Travelzoo ($200 for a 2 bedroom suite for 1 night). It came with free parking and we loved that it was basically right next to Stanley Park.

Oh and lots of locals on Tripadvisor got me really scared about driving in downtown Vancouver. It was super easy, even during rush hour as they change all the lights for each direction to keep people moving. I was better off following the GPS down the main street than all the complicated side street maneuvers that locals recommended.

Thank you so much for all of this wonderful information!

Although it does not have AC, is does have a balcony that would allow us for a nice breeze, if necessary.

Another criteria that is important to us is the ability to do laundry. We tend to travel lightly, so doing laundry is important.

I'm also considering the Chateau Victoria Hotel and Suites. It appears to have AC as well as onsite laundry.

Both are great locations! The Best Western is right across the street from the Clipper ferry so if you are taking that either to or from here then this is a great choice!

Chateau Victoria is closer to the core of downtown but really, it is not a huge area so either are totally walkable.

BTW, the fish and chips joint in Victoria’s Fisherman’s Wharf is wayyy better than the one in Vancouver’s version. Absolutely delicious!

Yes! The World's Famous Barb's Fish and Chips!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter