Question??

minnie56

DIS Veteran
I arrived into Cozumel last week on Brilliance of the Seas/Royal Caribbean.

We took a cab into town for some shopping and happened to see some Donkeys with their owners (Presumably) available for rides to tourists. I was quite appalled at the condition of a couple of these animals. They looked to be in poor shape...no water available nearby...and one could not bear weight on his back right leg. It really broke my heart.

I am not an animal-rights activist but I do absolutely believe in Humane conditions and treatment for all animals especially those being used for the enjoyment and business of tourists.

Anyone know of a governing body I could send a letter to and express my concerns?

I believe there's no second chance at a first impression and sadly this was mine. I quickly returned to the ship as I was so bothered by this and surely missed much of this stop as a result.

Tourism is a big industry to Cozumel I would presume and this is not in it's favour in my opinion.:(

IAs the owner of two Appaloosa horses (as well as two cats and a bird), I can understand what you mean. Here are a couple of email addresses for humane societies in Cozumel:
humane@gocozumel.com
E-Mail spca@cozumel.net
Hopefully one of them can point you in the right direction. Sadly, in poor countries where tourism is a staple, humane care of animals is often not a priority.
We did the horseback riding excursion through Disney there, and I was a little worried as I didn't like the looks of the horses when we visited Xcaret a while back. But Disney uses a place called Buenavista Ranch that had very well cared for horses. One of the wranglers even did a show with two horses afterwards and explained how he uses Natural Horsemanship techniques that he learned in the U.S. I was glad to see that there are some places that do treat their equines humanely.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

I have sent a letter...not sure if it will do any good..but I tried. :-(

You don't happen to know the spca for Curacao do you?? (Now you really must think me a crazy animal activist zealot!!!) I saw some awful treatment of dogs wandering the town whilst trying to lick a drop of water from a puddle. They were gasping for water and like bones....so sad.

I guess I know why I visit Disney so much...I must need the 'protected' feel of it. Reality of these islands bothers me when mere respect and kindness of all living creatures is disregarded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter