Questions about adhd children and GAC

dutton

Mouseketeer
Are these available if you have children with adhd? We usually go the first week of dec so that we are mostly assured of no lines b/c we have 2 boys with adhd and 2 that are 5 and 3 so waiting in line with that combo is torture!! But my 2 older boys are in 5th and 3rd grade and this year getting make up work was a nightmare, some of my older boys' assignments didn't get turned in, and so on. He is on an SST plan with modifications, but it still didn't work out. Next year he will be in 6th grade which will be harder. A friend of mine told me about the pass she got with her ADHD son and I couldn't believe it. Is this true that children with adhd are eligible? Does anyone have any experience with these? Thanks for any help!!

You can request a GAC (Guest Assistance Card) at Guest Services at any of the parks. They are not meant to (and usually won't) actually shorten or eliminate your wait in line. What they are meant to do is provide the assistance that someone with an invisible disability needs to enjoy the park as they would without a disability.
You can go to Guest Services in any of the parks (the person with a disability needs to be with you). Each situation is looked at on a case by case basis - they don't just give the card based on a diagnosis. Because each person's needs are different, some people with adhd won't need a GAC at all, some might need one only to use on one or two occassions a day and other people might need the GAC more. Be prepared to explain what sorts of assistance you need -like do you need a quieter place to wait, use a stroller in line to help cut down on stimulation, etc. A GAC is usually issued for your whole length of stay (same GAC valid in all parks) amd is for up to 6 people (5 plus the person with a disability). There are certain places where they will limit the number of people (some rides have small waiting areas and only 2 or 3 will fit.
We use a GAC more like insurance and even at Spring break time, we use it sparingly and try to avoid using it by looking for short lines and using fastpass.
Fastpass will be very helpful to you. It is available to anyone at no charge. You put your park ticket into the fastpass machine and a fastpass card pops out with a return time. When you return, you will usually have less than a 10 minute wait. If you can get to the park early in the morning, you can also get on a lot of things with a very short wait.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter