• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Questions about WDW rental wheelchairs - (size and payment methods)

JoannaOhio

17-Year Cancer Survivor!!!
Well, our plan for me to use my future son-in-law's manual wheelchair while he uses his electric one isn't going to work out. I had sat in it once, and peddled myself around with my feet, but I was concerned that my legs might be too long to ride comfortably in his custom fit chair with the footrests on. I tried it out this past weekend, and my legs are definitely too long, but I was also a bit embarrassed to discover that my hips are enough wider than his that I can't sit in his chair without the wheels (tires) rubbing against my sides. I think his chair may be an inch narrower than the 18" "standard" size that I've seen listed on the offsite rental places - (which also carry wider chairs for an extra fee).

Does anyone know how wide the seats on the rental wheelchairs at Disney World are? I don't recall having a problem when we were there in December 2000, but I don't know if I've spread since then. Also, since the weather is so unpredictable at Christmas time in Florida, I might even need to wear a heavier jacket or coat.

My other question has to do with the method of payment that will be accepted for the rental. As I recall, the $1 deposit was refunded with a Disney Dollar, but I can't remember if we paid cash or used a credit card. I just requested a card with my Disney Reward Dollars (or whatever they're called) that I received as a special bonus for opening the Disney Visa account. I know I can spend these dollars at stores and restaurants at Disney World, but I wondered if I could use them to rent a wheelchair for each of the 3 or 4 days that we'll be in the parks.

Thanks to anybody who can answer either or both of these questions.

I'm not sure of the price. However it is my understanding they have both "stanard" and "large" chairs.

Just as any other shop at Disney, they will accept just about anything that acts like money.

They have standard and larger. I used one in June and I asked for the larger one because I also fit edge to edge in the "normal" chair. The larger chair was very comfortable for me with a little extra room on each side of my body to allow air flow.

I just asked the CM for a Winnie The Pooh sized chair and she smiled. princess: I couldn't really "see" the difference in the sizes until I sat in them.

Just FYI - They only have a limited number of the large chairs. On our last trip my Mom had a large chair. When we left Epcot to go to Beaches and Cream for lunch, they told us to leave the chair at guest relations and pick it up on our return. When we got back, they had given the chair to someone else and did not have another large chair either in the back or front of Epcot. They said there was nothing they could/would do. We took a smaller chair, but it rubbed on her hips and legs and was very uncomfortable. If you get to a park later in the day, the large chairs may be gone. I did not think the regular chairs looked very big - almost looked like a junior size or something, but I suppose they were standard.

lizziepooh said:
Just FYI - They only have a limited number of the large chairs. On our last trip my Mom had a large chair. When we left Epcot to go to Beaches and Cream for lunch, they told us to leave the chair at guest relations and pick it up on our return. When we got back, they had given the chair to someone else and did not have another large chair either in the back or front of Epcot. They said there was nothing they could/would do. We took a smaller chair, but it rubbed on her hips and legs and was very uncomfortable. If you get to a park later in the day, the large chairs may be gone. I did not think the regular chairs looked very big - almost looked like a junior size or something, but I suppose they were standard.
Good point.
You may also want to see if you can borrow a wheelchair from your WDW resort. They also may not have a wide one, but they will try to get one from somewhere else for you (which could take anywhere from hours to days).
Or, you may want to look into renting from one of the off-site companies.

Look in the disABILITIES FAQs thread for info about both options.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter