Questions from Mom of 5 yr old with CP

maccumby

Earning My Ears
First, I want to thank all of you for all the fantastic info. I have learned from these boards!! What a great resource!

I have been to Disney World once as a child (long, long time ago!) We are taking our children in about two weeks- I have a 7yr old daughter and a 5 yr old son who has cerebral palsy. My son cannot walk unassisted so he will need to use his stroller as a wheelchair. I understand that I can explain this to a CM and get some sort of card that will allow him to remain in his stroller throughout lines, etc. So, my questions are- where do I get this card? And will one card work for the entire trip or is this something I have to explain in every park (that's fine just would like to know that ahead of time)? Should I display this card on the stroller itself or is that a no-no? Should I take some contact paper to cover the card in case of rain, etc? Oh, and he isn't potty trained so will there be places to change his diaper in a regular bathroom (do I dare to dream, in men's bathrooms?) or will I need to go to a baby care station (or whatever the correct name is?)

Thanks so much for all your help if you have read this far!!! Is there anything else I should know for him? He can wait in lines just fine, does fine with crowds and all that- his mobility and speech are the main areas affected. He's actually a quite normal kid and likes to be treated that way.

All of the mens bathrooms have changing stations (I have only changed my dd's diaper in WDW once). You get the Guest Assistance Card at Guest relations, it will be good for the length of your stay, I am not sure if you can laminate it, tho I have thought of doing that too. Please don't display your guest assistance card on your son's stroller, it may get taken then you would have to get another one...

If you need anything, please feel free to PM me or email me....

Thanks so much for the help! I didn't even think of someone taking the card. I guess I just need to keep it handy if a CM needs to see it.

I took my now 10 yr old approx 2 years ago. He also has cp and is not Potty trained. There are changing room everywhere. The best one is right near Crystal Palace (I think thats where it is) It has big tables to change on. I used these tables to lift him up onto. They also have rooms for both boys and girls. They are big open rooms to change in. They were great. Lots of room to move w/c's around. I am going again this Nov. About the card I just carried it in his backpack on his stroller. I dont remember ever having to show it. We used alot of backdoor entries. Good Luck

Donnask8pro said:
I took my now 10 yr old approx 2 years ago. He also has cp and is not Potty trained. There are changing room everywhere. The best one is right near Crystal Palace (I think thats where it is) It has big tables to change on. I used these tables to lift him up onto. They also have rooms for both boys and girls. They are big open rooms to change in. They were great. Lots of room to move w/c's around. I am going again this Nov. About the card I just carried it in his backpack on his stroller. I dont remember ever having to show it. We used alot of backdoor entries. Good Luck
Thank you- I will have to make note of that. It's getting a little more difficult to get him onto a changing table in a public bathroom. I generally try to change him at home, church, friend's home, even the back of my suburban over a public bathroom. But I figure with a whole week a Disney there will be no choice but to use the public restrooms. I was thrilled to learn that the men's rooms also have changing tables- good ol' Dad can help out with diaper duty!!

Yes I also used first aid many times to change him. I forgot about that. The privacy was great. They were very accomadating letting us use their tables.

In some locations there are 'Family Bathrooms' which give greater privacy. In every Mens room we have found a Changing Station also.

maccumby said:
his mobility and speech are the main areas affected. He's actually a quite normal kid and likes to be treated that way.

I have a DS just like yours. He is 13 now and we are taking him and his sister back to WDW in a few weeks.
The best part of WDW is that all the help is there when you need it but otherwise you can just get on with having a 'normal' family vacation. We have always found the CMs wonderful in answering all our questions, so don't be afraid to ask for what you need.
I believe the first aid stations have the best facilities for changing bigger kids. The locations are marked on park maps.

Have a wonderful trip!

Can your son stand unassisted? If so, you can always change his diaper standing up. My son Christian weighs too much and is too tall to put him on a baby changer. He can stand & walk,so I take him into a handicapped stall, which gives us plenty of room. If your son cannot bear weight, though, i would use the first aid stations so you have a larger table. I think it would be safer and less "eyeball-worthy" to nosy park-goers (there's something about our kids that draws people, like watching a train wreck...sheesh!)

maccumby said:
My son cannot walk unassisted so he will need to use his stroller as a wheelchair. I understand that I can explain this to a CM and get some sort of card that will allow him to remain in his stroller throughout lines, etc. So, my questions are- where do I get this card?And will one card work for the entire trip or is this something I have to explain in every park (that's fine just would like to know that ahead of time)?
I saw there are a lot of good answers, but I wanted to add a few things:
The Guest Assistance Card that you get at one park is valid in all the theme parks, so you don't need to get/explain his needs more than once. If you go to the water parks, you will need to stop at Guest Services at the park to get a water park GAC and some specific accessibility information for the water park.
You will need to show the GAC to bring his stroller into lines because strollers are not normally allowed into lines. A 5 year old's stroller would look pretty much like a "regular" stroller and the CMs are unlikely to let you bring it in unless they actually see your GAC. Someone with an obviously larger special needs stroller might not need to show the card every time because the CMs could recognize it is not a regular stroller.
You should keep the card someplace handy where you can keep it safe, but can still get to it easily when you need it. I would not leave it on the stroller, as someone mentioned because it would be easy for someone to steal (and trust me, if they thought it would give them any "advantage" in line, someone would steal it).
Oh, and he isn't potty trained so will there be places to change his diaper in a regular bathroom (do I dare to dream, in men's bathrooms?) or will I need to go to a baby care station (or whatever the correct name is?)
To add to what was already posted, if he can stand for changing, you have more options. Keep in mind that the handicapped stalls have grab bars to hold onto. I (obviously) haven't been in the men's rooms, but the women's rooms handicapped stalls are quite small at MK and most of the stalls at EPCOT. Not a problem at AK or MGM.
If he is able to raise himself up with his hands by his wheelchair armrests, you may be able to work with that to change him in his wheelchair; my DD lifts herself off the toilet and/or wheelchair that way. It was not something we thought she could do, but my other DD told her to try one day and it worked out well.
If you need a changing table, the Baby Care Stations or First Aid are your best bets. First Aid has cots of various heights or even height adjustable.
The Companion Restrooms (people call them Family Restrooms, but they really are not that) are not listed in the park maps; you need to get a Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities from Guest Services in the parks (you can pick one up for each park when you ask about the GAC). Some, but not all, of the Companion Restrooms have changing tables. They are generally counter height and are usually 48 inches long (I have not seen longer ones).

Sue- Thank you so much for all that helpful info!! I am so glad that I found these boards before our trip--- otherwise, I would not have known any of this. I probably wouldn't even have thought to ask. Thanks so much!!!

I would just like to add that they have guidebooks for people with disabilities for all of the parks at every park so you will be able to pick up a complete set of four at the first park you visit. We found this useful for planning our days back at the villa as we knew what I would and wouldn't be able to do and could plan accordingly.

Sue

Sue & Co. said:
I would just like to add that they have guidebooks for people with disabilities for all of the parks at every park so you will be able to pick up a complete set of four at the first park you visit. We found this useful for planning our days back at the villa as we knew what I would and wouldn't be able to do and could plan accordingly.

Sue
If you want to look at them before you go, you can actually find them online at
this link for the official Disney site.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter