• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Questions! We leave in 10 days!

Brika

Mouseketeer
I can't believe I booked a cruise less than a week ago and we leave NEXT SUNDAY! woo hoo!

We've NEVER cruised. Doing 4 night bahamas leaving dec. 12.

then 2 days at the park -
Coronodo Springs.

Questions: what costs "extra" on the ship. I've read so much and still can't figure out if drinks ie: pop etc. is an extra charge? DH and I plan to bring our own alcohol on a carry on. We plan to also bring a soft side cooler to fill with ice (I assume this is avaliable on ship??? are there machines around?) and our own cups.

Room service... how much is charged

Palo: what chances do we have of getting a ressie? Should I even bother to wait in line?

We rented a car to get from airport to port, then to resort... is parking going to cost us a fortune?

Who do you tip? And at end of the cruise? Or do you do it daily?

I bought the kids and us lanyards on ebay and 10 pins each, will these come in handy to hold room keys etc?

If you are 2nd seating for meals, and you are hungry in between, are there snack bars? Are there xtra charges here?

What kind of shopping is on Nassau?

I'll start there. :-D YIPPEE!

You will only pay for soda's if you order from room service or a bar. Soda is free at the drink station on deck 9.

Parking at Port Canaveral is currently $15/night. Parking for a 4 night cruise will be $60.

I can't believe I booked a cruise less than a week ago and we leave NEXT SUNDAY! woo hoo!

Coronodo Springs.

Questions: what costs "extra" on the ship. I've read so much and still can't figure out if drinks ie: pop etc. is an extra charge? DH and I plan to bring our own alcohol on a carry on. We plan to also bring a soft side cooler to fill with ice (I assume this is avaliable on ship??? are there machines around?) and our own cups.
Soda is free (except in the theater)Your room steward will fill your ice chest with ice for you free
No charge for most items (very few special menu items like alcohol and a special cheese tray have fees)
Palo: what chances do we have of getting a ressie? Should I even bother to wait in line?Very good chances if you go straight to the dining line at Rockin D when you board- YES YOU SHOULD! lol

We rented a car to get from airport to port, then to resort... is parking going to cost us a fortune?Why not turn the car in at the port and rent another one once you return? That is what we do and it's not very complicated

Who do you tip? And at end of the cruise? Or do you do it daily?Daily-bartenders, room service staff, spa staff when you visit. End of trip- Room Steward & Servers (assistant, primary & head servers)

I bought the kids and us lanyards on ebay and 10 pins each, will these come in handy to hold room keys etc?I think they get in the way & kids don't like the feel around their neck. We keep them all in DH's pocket most of the time.

If you are 2nd seating for meals, and you are hungry in between, are there snack bars? Are there xtra charges here?Lots of places to eat FOR FREE!

What kind of shopping is on Nassau?Sorry can't help, I don't shop there!

:thumbsup2

So What Isn't Included?

• Alcoholic Beverages
  • Specialty beverages(ie gourmet coffee, smoothies, etc)
  • Soft drinks purchased at bars, or through room service
  • Internet access
  • Bingo Games
  • Arcade games
  • Spa and beauty treatments
  • Palo meals
  • Childcare for children under 3
  • Onboard or off shore shopping
  • Photos
  • Medical treatment
  • Laundry services
  • Parking at the cruise terminal
  • Tips for your servers, room attendants and other cast members

Gratuities
Tipping is your way of thanking the crew for their fine service. Here are Disney's recommended gratuities for each guest, regardless of age:

• Dining Room Server - $4.00 per person per day of trip
  • Dining Room Assistant Server - $3.00 per person per day
  • Dining Room Head Server - $1.00 per person per day
  • Stateroom Hostess - $4.00 per person per day
  • Palo server - your discretion
  • Bartender/lounge server - 10% - 20% if not already added to the bill
  • Room Service usually $1-$2 per person
  • Shore excursion tour guide - $1-$2 per person
  • Baggage porters - $1-$2 per bag

12/12 cruise

Well howdy. You'll have lots of DIS company. We're staying at CS after the cruise, too.

HUGE thanks to all of you! I can't wait to meet anyone who will be on board with us. I spent a ton of time planning our last DISNEY vacation, so this hurry and go thing is new for me.

We recently lost our home and dog in a total loss house fire. It was and still is quite awful for our family. There is nothing that I am looking forward to more than seeing a carefree smile on my daughters faces.

I appreciate your help more than I can express. You've saved me time and energy and those are things I lack most.

:love:

Looks like SILLANDI answered most of your questions. I just wanted to tell you about a couple of other things we do.

Transportation/Parking:
Did you think about using a company like fltours for transportation. I am not sure how many are in your party but we like having a private car take us to and from port. Then at the end of your trip use the magical express to get back to the airport, which is free. We do this so we can make the times for pick up and drop off ourselves. Plus it is nice to be able to sit in a private car/van instead of a bus. Magical express is great for the luggage on the return home. Obviously a rental car would save money but the ease of a private transport is nice. Depending on your party it is actually cheaper than disney transportation.

Nassau shopping:
This is probably our least favorite port, we usually stay on the ship now. If you have never been here I suggest you walk around a bit for experience. Around the port there is nothing terribly special and vendors are always heckling you. There are some jewelry stores and local touristy type of shops to buy souvenirs. If you want to see a water park/beach, aquarium, and high end shopping, then go to the Atlantis Resort which is a short ride from port.

Palo:
Was the online booking full? Or did you try to call dcl to see if there are openings?

Enjoy your trip and have fun at CC

Only thing I would dispute (and it's a matter of preference) are the lanyards - I put my driver's license and key to the world card in mine and it only leaves my neck when i'm sleeping or showering.

Very handy and our kids love them!

Pins will come in handy at pin trading night - yes they have one - and the captain and ships officers will trade too.

So What Isn't Included?

• Alcoholic Beverages
  • Specialty beverages(ie gourmet coffee, smoothies, etc)
  • Soft drinks purchased at bars, or through room service
  • Internet access
  • Bingo Games
  • Arcade games
  • Spa and beauty treatments
  • Palo meals
  • Childcare for children under 3
  • Onboard or off shore shopping
  • Photos
  • Medical treatment
  • Laundry services
  • Parking at the cruise terminal
  • Tips for your servers, room attendants and other cast members

Gratuities
Tipping is your way of thanking the crew for their fine service. Here are Disney's recommended gratuities for each guest, regardless of age:

• Dining Room Server - $4.00 per person per day of trip
  • Dining Room Assistant Server - $3.00 per person per day
  • Dining Room Head Server - $1.00 per person per day
  • Stateroom Hostess - $4.00 per person per day
  • Palo server - your discretion
  • Bartender/lounge server - 10% - 20% if not already added to the bill
  • Room Service usually $1-$2 per person
  • Shore excursion tour guide - $1-$2 per person
  • Baggage porters - $1-$2 per bag
Disney's recommended gratuities state that the gratuity is included with the Palo service charge. Also, don't think I've ever seen a drink order at a bar or lounch where a 15% gratuity wasn't already added.

From the DCL faq:
http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faqs/onboard-services/gratuities/

Brika:

Welcome - we'll be on this cruise too - my 5th! As for the lanyards - mine only leaves my neck to shower & sleep! I actually love it & wish my life back home would fit in that lanyard!

Happy to answer any questions!
Gayle

Thanks again! I will do the rental return and re rent upon disembarkment! GREAT idea! I didn't realize it was so easy to do that right there... am I right in thinking that when we return the car the car rental company will give us a shuttle to check in? I'm a little nervous about the fact that we fly in the same day! Whew!

Also, we haven't called DCL direct... about booking Palo... just full online. Is it possible to call? Or is my next option to wait once we've boarded? I know it's a POD cruise, so I'm worried that with all those cruisers "in the know" we won't get a ressie. Boo. OH well! I won't let that spoil our first ever cruise!

Disney's recommended gratuities state that the gratuity is included with the Palo service charge. Also, don't think I've ever seen a drink order at a bar or lounch where a 15% gratuity wasn't already added.

From the DCL faq:
http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faqs/onboard-services/gratuities/

Although the $15 charge at Palo is the gratuity, we still tip extra. We also leave a little for the bartenders as well even though the gratuity is always added to the check already. We usually leave $10-$20 for our server at Palo dinner depending on the quality of service, and $10 at brunch.

Thanks again! I will do the rental return and re rent upon disembarkment! GREAT idea! I didn't realize it was so easy to do that right there... am I right in thinking that when we return the car the car rental company will give us a shuttle to check in? I'm a little nervous about the fact that we fly in the same day! Whew!

Also, we haven't called DCL direct... about booking Palo... just full online. Is it possible to call? Or is my next option to wait once we've boarded? I know it's a POD cruise, so I'm worried that with all those cruisers "in the know" we won't get a ressie. Boo. OH well! I won't let that spoil our first ever cruise!

I wouldn't worry. They leave ressies open just for people who weren't able to book online. Wavebands (the place on the Wonder where you go to make Palo reservations) opened at 1:00pm on our cruise on the first day in order for people to make reservations. Be aware that a line will form. I'd get there 10-15 minutes before the club opens so you can be right at the front of the the line.:goodvibes

Although the $15 charge at Palo is the gratuity, we still tip extra. We also leave a little for the bartenders as well even though the gratuity is always added to the check already. We usually leave $10-$20 for our server at Palo dinner depending on the quality of service, and $10 at brunch.
We usually tip a little extra too since they make you feel a bit awkward if you don't. Typically we give $5 per person regardless of meal which is more than fair.

Coronodo Springs.

Palo: what chances do we have of getting a ressie? Should I even bother to wait in line?

We rented a car to get from airport to port, then to resort... is parking going to cost us a fortune?

Who do you tip? And at end of the cruise? Or do you do it daily?

I bought the kids and us lanyards on ebay and 10 pins each, will these come in handy to hold room keys etc?

If you are 2nd seating for meals, and you are hungry in between, are there snack bars? Are there xtra charges here?

What kind of shopping is on Nassau?

Lol !!! You guys are like us. I can never plan a vacation 2 weeks in advance !!! and then i see people here who book two years ahead ...was beginning to think I was a freak !!!!

We cruised two weeks ago. We asked very specifically if the $15 at Palo was for our server. We were told, only a portion of it is.

We had an amazing dinner and EXCELLENT service. We calculated what we felt our meal would have cost at a "cash paying" restaurant here at home and then tipped 20% of that.

- Dreams

We cruised two weeks ago. We asked very specifically if the $15 at Palo was for our server. We were told, only a portion of it is.

We had an amazing dinner and EXCELLENT service. We calculated what we felt our meal would have cost at a "cash paying" restaurant here at home and then tipped 20% of that.

- Dreams
They get $5 of the $15. Perhaps a little more now that the charge has been increased to $20.

Never understood why people on a ship try to equate the cost of the meal to what they'd pay at a restaurant back home, but to each his own.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter