• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Quick note from a Disney Server

supamaki

Drinkin' around the world!
I found this on Reddit and thought I'd share it here..

I'm a server at a theme park. I try to see every table as a family from Michigan. Dad, mom, two kids. They don't have a lot of money, so they drive to Florida. Overnight so that mom and dad can switch off driving while the kids sleep. No stopover other than pee breaks and fast food. They get a motel instead of a hotel, and when they go to the park, they get a one day, one park pass for each of them. They come in, get a soda and a churro, maybe a corn dog. Then they get to my restaurant and sit down.

Scrimping and saving, doing without souvenirs that the kids want, they have already spent over one thousand dollars to sit at my table. So I try to give every table a one thousand dollar dining experience. Does it work every day for every table? No. But do I do my damndest to make their experience memorable and amazing? You're god damn right I do. I'll dance with the kids. I have a pocket of my apron designated for toys for fussy babies that I sanitize after every one. I have a million jokes you've never heard and a bunch you have. I care only as much as I'm paid, and I'm paid by YOU.

There are other servers in my restaurant that don't care like I do. I don't know what they make. Maybe the same as me. Maybe more. But I leave work smiling about the magic I spread and the parents that didn't have to worry about their kids because I took them on a walking tour and gave them 5 minutes to breathe. I think about my hungry babies (everyone is a hungry baby. You can be 95 years old and you're my hungry baby) and how I did everything I could to feed them and allow myself only the amount of time it takes from walking out of the door to when I get to my car to fret about the tables I didn't do great on. Because tomorrow is another day.

I know most people are more involved with what ride they're going on next than the server that's keeping their sodas refilled. That's how it should be. But know I love you guys and I appreciate you taking the time out of your day to dine with me. Especially if you have a baby. Double points if they have those chubby cheeks. Talking seriously to babies about the day is how I keep sane. Sorry for the giant wall of text. I just love my job and my guests and I appreciate you guys.

Edit: I'm reading through these responses and I am just... You are all so great. From now on whenever I'm having a hard day, at work or otherwise, I'm coming back here to read these responses and remind myself that what I do does make an impact. You are all wonderful. And the gold, my god. So much gold.

https://np.reddit.com/r/dataisbeaut..._trip_for_a_family_of_4_in/dwrytol/?context=1

Very nice!
The one piece of advice I gave DS when he started the CP in January was to always look at the guests and think of what they've had to sacrifice to get there and all the stresses of a family vacation. Smile at all of them- especially at the ones who are ready to yell at you! Sometimes that's all you need to turn someone's bad day into a great day!

How does driving, staying in a motel, and only having a one day one pass ticket cost 1000 bucks??

How does driving, staying in a motel, and only having a one day one pass ticket cost 1000 bucks??

Just doing quick back of the napkin math.

Gas to drive: $135.00 one way
Fast food on the 20ish hour drive, 3 meals X4 people: $100.00
Peak 1 day/1 park tickets to MK, assuming 2 parents, 1 disney adult and 1 disney child: $510.00
Motel: +- $90.00
Soda: $3.30 each (assume 2 to share) $6.60
Churros: $5.50 each (assume 2 to share) $11.00
Corn Dog: $8.50 each (assume 2 to share) $17.00

Total: +-$870.00

Not quite the $1000+ but not super far off. Add in the gas and meals to get home and you get +-$1,105.00

Eh, I'll give it to the Reddit poster, it's close enough.

Don't know if we've ever crossed paths, but I've met some very pleasant and outgoing servers both in and out of Disney and I appreciate their efforts. Not everyone is fit or amiable enough to deal with the public. A great attitude in any job is key and that person's got it.! Makes me smile.

I love your enthusiasm for your job, and I am sure you make someone's day every day! You'd be surprised how much a kind word or act of kindness is appreciated by most people. My husband's mother was a waitress all her life, and that is how she fed her family. We always tip a lot because of that, even if the service is not great. Thanks for your wonderful comments:)

Peak 1 day/1 park tickets to MK, assuming 2 parents, 1 disney adult and 1 disney child: $510.00

Not quite the $1000+ but not super far off. Add in the gas and meals to get home and you get +-$1,105.00

Well I'll be damned...

Hats off to you for figuring it out.

And then add the cost of a sit down meal at a Disney restaurant for a family of 4 and you're at or above that $1,000.

Thank you for this post, supamaki - it's a real upper! Kudos to the author who wrote the post - and I hope we can do our best to repay all the hard workers at Disney - whoever & wherever they may be.

I love this! Years ago (so long ago I was a waitress!) at a very popular restaurant in my area. My first NYE there our head waitress told us to be mindful of the families who we would be serving, because for many this was their special meal of the year. She warned us that the tips might be reduced, or the bill itself would be, but that these people deserved the same level of service that our more affluent customers were used to.

I have long remembered her philospohy and have tried to move it to every area of my life, and for me the payback has been tenfold. Kudos to that employee who puts people over pocketbook.

We frequently have great servers and my kids grew up asking them to sign their autograph books. So many were surprised at the gesture but appreciated the thought that my kids felt they were as important as meeting any character in the park. We have some very sweet notes form some lovely people that obviously like what they do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter