• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Quick Service at DHS?

jeters_boy

Mouseketeer
Just wondering what everyone's go-to spots are for quick service dining at DHS... Our group is me, my wife, a 5 and a 1 year old, and my in-laws. Thanks in advance!

Hollywood Studios is (in my opinion) a wasteland for quick service dining. We usually make it a half day park that we do over two days and either eat before or after at one of the parks or resorts which have better options.

When I HAVE to eat there I opt for the meatball sub from pizza planet. Now, that being said the PB&K Milkshake from the Tune In Lounge is very good and probably has as much calories as some meals.

I agree with PP, it is the one park that QSDP is tough. It's probably has the proper amount for the size of the park and maybe the menu varies more than it seems .... I think the real problem is more than half of it is OUTSIDE! I enjoy have a/c at lunch so we can relax and re-energize. SO .... we end up at Backlot Express often trying for early or late so we can get an indoor seat (half is outdoor). The other plus is the all-you-can-drink beverages.

Commissary is okay but often very crowded and long lines unless you hit off times. OH and in my calculations I didn't even include Pizza Planet because it is barely edible for us and never crosses our minds to go back. Honestly we always book TS in there for a nice lunch or dinner, just part of our DHS days.

I also agree with the PP that it's hard to find good CS at HS. I actually ended up liking Pizza Planet though. The pizza isn't gourmet obviously but I liked it more than I was expecting. It's also well-themed after Toy Story with arcade games. Starring Roles looked like it had some good sandwiches too, though we just ate cupcakes here (which are AMAZING!)

For quick service with family, you're probably find passable food at the ABC Commissary or the Starbucks. Obviously, you'll find a wider variety of food at the Commissary, but they don't have Frappacinos (mmmmm).

Try to avoid Pizza Planet and its ilk, unless you enjoy heartburn.

For a refined quick service experience, check out the Brown Derby Lounge. The pricing matches the quality, so you'll be spending a little more there, but it's a great place to get some decent finger food for the kids, while drinking a nice beer and doing some people-watching from the patio.

The other "problem" with quick service there is that there are actually quite a few good table service options. 50s Primetime, Sci Fi, Mama Melrose, & Hollywood Brown Derby are all good choices.

I also agree with the PP that it's hard to find good CS at HS. I actually ended up liking Pizza Planet though. The pizza isn't gourmet obviously but I liked it more than I was expecting. It's also well-themed after Toy Story with arcade games. Starring Roles looked like it had some good sandwiches too, though we just ate cupcakes here (which are AMAZING!)

Totally forgot about Starring Rolls but - it's small area of outside seating. But the sandwiches are good and the desserts are amazing so if you are on the DDP I would consider eating here for the desserts alone if it's not sweltering outside.

Last edited:
We usually end up at Backlot Express, as it is tucked away and has a large seating area some indoors some tucked away in corners. It has a decent menu and it has serve yourself drinks. ABC Commissary can get crowded but is entirely inside with a large seating area, also they have an Asian salad there that I like. If eating outside doesn't bother you, then the Studio Catering Co. has really good sandwiches and a bar tucked around the corner for some nice adult beverages, also note it is a full bar that serves any drinks, not just what is on the marquee. Fairfax area, over by the Tower of Terror and entrance to Fantasmic, has several stands serving different items at each with a common seating area. I like the BBQ there and hot dogs at the stand at the end nearest the Tower of Terror.

I agree with the other posts as I also avoid Pizza Planet, we ate there once and once was enough, unless you like the Disney pre-made pizzas that is.

FUNNY STORY, or at least funny to me. I had probably been to Hollywood Studios 6 times, before I even noticed the Backlot Express quick service restaurant. It is that tucked away, since I found it I eat there almost every trip and there is always space to sit and never too much of a line.

I don't understand how no one ever mentions Studio Catering Co. Is it because the seating is outside? In any case, their sandwiches are awesome. I like Starring Rolls for sandwiches too.

Agreeing with other posters about the poor QS options at HS. We've ultimately decided that getting sandwiches at Sci-Fi really doesn't cost *that* much more than buying QS meals at most places, so we just go ahead and eat there rather than stress out about which QS food to eat. HS QS menus are especially difficult for vegetarians. At least Sci-Fi has a black bean burger on the menu!

When ordering a QS from the menu and having a 9 year old that's supposed to order from the kids menu...... Can you order them an adult QS meal?

There is no best option for QS at HS. Avoid Fairfax Fair. Backlot express is probably the safest bet, I've heard and read too many negative comments about ABC Com. The main reason I would say Backlot is it's seating area and refillable drink station that the others don't have. And Starring Rolls sandwiches can run out at times

Also agree with PP that DHS is lacking quick service options. That's one of my biggest pet peeves about this park, actually. Backlot is probably about as good as it gets and it's decent. Sometimes we'll go to ABC Com, but I don't really like it. The kids are happy and it's conveniently located, but convenience is kind of a sad reason to pick a restaurant when you're paying Disney prices lol. Pizza Planet was barely edible last time we went, so we haven't been back. (And that's saying something because I've almost never met a pizza I didn't like...) I always plan a table service meal for us here at either 50s Prime Time or Sci-fi because of the dismal QS.

There is not a single CS location I will even walk into the door with the intent to eat from their menu. IMO, this park is absolutely abysmal for cs. For me, ABC Commissary was the worst dining experience I have ever had at Disney; not once, but twice at that place. Pizza Planet for me is nothing more than a frozen pizza joint. This park is plentiful when it comes to hotdogs, bad hamburgers, frozen pizza, chicken nuggets and fries. When the best place is often thought of as Starring Rolls and it's premade sandwiches and pre-made sushi, it just shows how bad it is. When I visit HS, I usually do a breakfast buffet at one of the Boarkwalk restaurants and only get a snack during the day and then return to the Boardwalk for dinner. I simply wll not eat at a CS in this park. But hey, that is just me (and many others).

A lot of harsh criticism here! In 8 trips, we've never had a "bad" meal at any of the CS locations in Hollywood Studios. Maybe we are very lucky or we just have easy-to-please tastebuds?! LOL.

We like Pizza Planet (for pizza obviously), Studio Catering Co. (for sandwiches or wraps), and Backlot Express (for burgers). Catalina Eddie's has pizza too, but they don't have the awesome cupcakes that Pizza Planet has.

I'm fine with the QS at DHS, but I don't ever plan ahead when we eat there because there's nothing that stands our as a "we have to eat there". It's the only park I don't plan for. We will just eat whatever sounds good at the moment, or leave it open to leaving and eating somewhere else. And honestly, the TS restaurants don't appeal to me either.

~Cari~ pluto

We usually do table service in this park since we like a lot of the table service options. Mama Melrose, Brown Derby, and breakfast at Hollywood & Vine are all a much better option for our group than CS. We aren't really cupcake fans and didn't care for Pizza Planet very much. We don't want to eat outside since I like my AC while eating.

QS is lacking here in a big way. I prefer Starring Rolls if I have to eat here, but it it closes early and has limited seating. We did just eat at Fairfax Fair last week, and it was ok. I got chicken nuggets so nothing special. They hubby got a burger. The cupcakes were good. You do have to eat outside here, which was fine because it wasn't super hot. I see some on here like Pizza Planet. I think the location is fun, but the pizza is terrible (as is all Disney pizza except Via Napoli and some of the flatbreads). I have gotten the salad there and that is ok. That is just my opinion. Others may like it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter