Race/recovery prep

lzimm13

Mouseketeer
Hello fellow runners!! I’m running this years fairytale challenge as my first race in 6+ years. I did 4HMs between 2014 and 2016 including the dumbo challenge and the inaugural Paris HM but a bad job got seriously in the way of my running (and the rest of my life tbh, but that’s a different conversation) and I’ve literally just started running again to train for this race. We’re 6 weeks out and I’m feeling woefully unprepared. I’m confident my training will be sufficient but I remember being really on top of snacks, gels, hydration and recover aids, etc. for my previous races and I just don’t have that this time. It’s been long enough that the landscape of those things has changed quite a bit as well. I’m older to boot (imagine that) so I’m sure what worked for me 5-10 years ago would probably have changed anyway. I’ve just invested in my first pair of compression socks to see if that does anything for me but I’d love some pointers about what’s the latest and greatest tools out there or some good resources for reading up on them! Everything from apparel to foods and supplements! Thanks!

As cliche as this may sound, nothing new on race day is a big one. Use these 6 weeks to test out anything you may want to wear, eat, use, etc pre, during and post race.

I love sparkle athletic skirts for costumes because they take up minimal space in my carryon and they’re so lightweight that they don’t bother me over my leggings.

Half a bagel with peanut butter and apple juice is my go to pre race meal. I used to use Gatorade chews in the past, but they became impossible to find. After reading up on past runDisney fuel I tried Honey Stingers chews and sport beans. I always pack my own, but I’ll take it if it’s being handed out just in case, and I already know I can eat it without getting sick. Most recent example: this year they handed out sport beans during the marathon, I had packed honey stingers chews but I took them and it was nice to have something different to eat that I knew I could tolerate. I carry a handheld Nathan water bottle that took some getting used to, but now I carry it for every race. Water stops are usually plentiful in the runDisney races, but it’s nice to have my own whenever I want it. I usually drink my own water (they’ll refill your bottles too if needed) and take Powerade from the water stops as needed. I often eat the 2nd half of my bagel with peanut butter and had chocolate milk post race.

I usually wear compression socks on the plane if I’m flying home the evening after a half or full marathon. I know people run with them as well but I’ve never felt the need to try.

I’m a huge fan of my trigger point grid vibe plus foam roller, but it’s a little cumbersome to travel with. I also own a trigger point handheld massage ball that’s incredibly simple but effective for spot massaging.

Almost everything I’ve learned about running has come from these boards, so I’m sure you’ll find some great info here and in different runDisney threads. Best of luck to you this Princess Weekend!

First rule: Don't panic. Since you say your training is sufficient, and you don't mention any injuries you're battling, then you're 89.632% of the way there.

Next: Spend the next few weeks working on fuel. Honestly (since you mentioned 5-10 years), stuff is pretty much the same--there's liquids, gels, chews, etc. Find the form factor that works for you--e.g. I personally hate chewing while I run, so no blocks, gummies, beans, etc for me. After that it's just flavors and cost. I also wouldn't necessarily plan around what they offer on course, because you need to fuel when it's right for you--not when Disney happens to have a fuel/water stop.

Then, gear: There's what you need, and what you might want. What you need (which I'm sure you already know): good running shoes, socks, moisture-wicking clothing. About the only thing in here that might slip in to the "want" category is race bottoms. Ex: I run in some of the same stuff I've had for 15 years. BUT, I have found that Athleta makes very nice shorts (Ultimate Stash) with pockets that come in handy, and an inseam length that works for me to eliminate chafing. Hydration is the only other thing I would put in the "Need" category. I run with a Nathan Trail Mix hydration belt, but of course, there are tons of options (handheld, waist packs, etc). Disney does have a lot of water stops, and a lot of people just use course water, but you need to decide if that supports how you run

Other gear is mostly optional: music-related stuff, watches/fitness trackers, recovery tools. I keep it simple--I have a Garmin (happens to be a VA3 and is several years old), I don't run with music, and I have a foam roller that I use every so often (I try to keep loose with yoga). If you want reviews on tech, check out DCRainmaker.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the nutrition for a 10k or half. I eat a bagel with peanut butter and a banana, and that‘s usually enough to keep me fueled. During a run, our muscle glycogen storage is only enough to fuel around two hours. My half time is around 1:30, and I usually just rely on water or gatorade. If you expect over 2 hours, you might consider bringing fuel. All the gels, gummies, etc. are just sugar in different packaging, designed to put glucose into your muscles and liver.

As for recovery, a Theragun is magical to work on tight muscles. I also have compression boots, foam rollers, and a lacrosse ball that all help. If you’re starting training now, it will be extremely important that you show up to the starting line healthy. Most injuries happen from increasing training volume too quickly. I do a lot of yoga to help with stretching and mobility, as well as strength training to prevent injuries.

Oh my gosh! Thank you all so much for unlocking my memories! Hahaha I used to do toast and peanut butter breakfast and I’d carry a Nathan water bottle and sports beans! I’m set on shoes but I’m looking for a new bra and my compression socks are in the mail so they’ll be here for me to try soon. I’m considering bringing my foam roller but that takes up a lot of real estate in the suit case so we’ll see about that

If you’re using the foam roller regularly Brazyn has a great collapsible foam roller that folds flat to pack. It has really helped me during challenges with multiple days of back to back running without taking up too much luggage space!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter