• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Race Signup Regret

Slyman21

Earning My Ears
I've been feeling a bit down about myself lately so I'm regretting signing up for the Princess 5k. I was so excited when I signed up initially and figured I had plenty of time to get all my ducks in a row, but now time is kind of running out and I am unprepared.

I found no one to go with me even though I've asked almost two dozen people. The responses have been variations of they wish they could or just a laugh in my face and a no. I've done solo trips in the past, but this time I wanted to celebrate with someone.

The holidays were incredibly busy for me and I simply forgot to book my hotel and now everything is either $800 a night or sold out. I considered staying off-site, but I don't drive and I'm not sure how the transportation is going to work. I've also done zero training like I promised myself. So now I have a fear of getting swept out of the race. Yes, I know it's only a 5k, but still you never know.

I'm also now regretting this post because it's very eye roll inducing because it is no one fault but myself for my lack of preparedness. I've also posted on the boards before and I don't think anyone has ever answered me, so I don't have high hopes that anyone will care for my mopey attitude. I know the race isn't refundable, so I would lose my money, but should I just not go? I'm starting to think all my checking hotels/dvc point websites, worrying about having any fun, and trying to make a decision on an outfit is really stressing me out.

Any advice?

Keep watching hotels, we’re coming up on the 30 day mark soon, and people often cancel when they’re faced with the reality of paying for the package they booked months ago.

They don’t actually sweep the 5K, so you can toss that worry right out the window.

As far as celebrating with people, there are going to be lot of DISRunners at Princess Weekend, and everyone loves celebrating. We’re having a meet up at 2:30pm on Saturday the 26th at Hurricane Hanna’s at the Beach Club resort and anyone is welcome.

Don’t worry about an outfit, lots of people run in normal running clothes.

Go for the race, enjoy and have fun! As others have said, there is no sweeping on the 5k and there are so many volunteers and fellow runners who will encourage and cheer you on! You can absolutely train, but you can also do this without training and just move at your pace, so use the race as your kickoff to a fitness program if you are so inspired.
For hotels, I just checked the Swan, there’s a room for $387 a night from 2/23-2/26, and similar prices moving a day in either direction. The Swan/Dolphin have Disney race and expo transport, so that part will be easy. I know it’s not cheap, but far better than $800 a night!

Absolutely go and enjoy the energy of the race day! You may regret not taking the chance if you cancel now. You can absolutely walk it, meet some people in the corrals, and just take it all in. Maybe you’ll be bitten by the racing bug and this will be the first of many! Not my very first, but one of my first 5k as I started getting into running was the Dark Side 5k with my daughter. Rundisney races are just different and such a fun way to experience a race. I was hooked and am heading to Princess for the challenge this year as my 4th Disney race weekend. And if you don’t drive, swan/dolphin option is a great way to go. I know a lot of people on these forums stay off site or drive themselves but I am team Disney bus transportation all the way.

As everyone else has said, don't worry about being swept, doesn't happen in the 5k.

Go and have fun. If you're priced out of the hotels, offsite and Uber or Lyft is not that scary. I love solo trips!

I've walked all the races and the 5k is always so much fun. The "serious" runners are at the front, and the people who want to have fun, take pictures and enjoy the race are more towards the back. I would recommend doing some training, you have 6 weeks, so it isn't too late to start getting used to walking. I also don't wear a costume, but try to put on something that sort of matches the theme, maybe a Cinderella tank top and a running skirt?

I totally understand feeling down on yourself lately too, it's just after the Holidays, and I always have a let down.

I've been feeling a bit down about myself lately so I'm regretting signing up for the Princess 5k. I was so excited when I signed up initially and figured I had plenty of time to get all my ducks in a row, but now time is kind of running out and I am unprepared.

I found no one to go with me even though I've asked almost two dozen people. The responses have been variations of they wish they could or just a laugh in my face and a no. I've done solo trips in the past, but this time I wanted to celebrate with someone.

The holidays were incredibly busy for me and I simply forgot to book my hotel and now everything is either $800 a night or sold out. I considered staying off-site, but I don't drive and I'm not sure how the transportation is going to work. I've also done zero training like I promised myself. So now I have a fear of getting swept out of the race. Yes, I know it's only a 5k, but still you never know.

I'm also now regretting this post because it's very eye roll inducing because it is no one fault but myself for my lack of preparedness. I've also posted on the boards before and I don't think anyone has ever answered me, so I don't have high hopes that anyone will care for my mopey attitude. I know the race isn't refundable, so I would lose my money, but should I just not go? I'm starting to think all my checking hotels/dvc point websites, worrying about having any fun, and trying to make a decision on an outfit is really stressing me out.

Any advice?
Why don't you look into booking a room at the Swan and Dolphin. It's likely available and half that price. I can't help you with the part about getting someone to go with you. But, I was a solo runner yesterday and everyone was so friendly that I never really felt alone.

Why don't you look into booking a room at the Swan and Dolphin. It's likely available and half that price. I can't help you with the part about getting someone to go with you. But, I was a solo runner yesterday and everyone was so friendly that I never really felt alone.

I second looking into the Swan and Dolphin! Also check out the Disney Springs hotels too. Uber/Lyft makes it easy to get to/from the airport and between non-Disney hotels and the parks without a car. Disney doesn't even have Magical Express anymore anyway :-) As Naomeri said, if you want to stay onsite, just keep refreshing and a cancellation may pop up. That's what I did for an All Star standard room I wanted to for the Spring Surprise weekend.

Everyone is so friendly and encouraging at runDisney events, so you don't have to worry about doing it alone, because you won't reallly be! And there's also the Dis runDisney meetup too. Also solo trips are surprisingly amazing... you get to do whatever you want at your own pace :-)

Last edited:
There is a RunDisney page on FB that is very encouraging and is filled with people of all abilities and everyone posts all of their experiences. (hopefully it's allowed to post this here) It's not the official Run Disney page (search for RunDisney).

You should go for it! You won’t be the only one by themselves. Also, I’ve seen in other boards that lots of people get Uber/Lyft for the races from some of the off site hotels. The flamingo crossing hotels usually have some decent rates and the Hilton Bonnet Creek usually hosts lots of runners for the weekend.

Re: going alone. I did W&D this year alone and it was totally nbd. I wasn't sure about going to disney alone but I met people in the corrals and once you're running, it's doesn't really matter if you're alone anyway. I made several meal reservations and it wasn't weird at all. In fact, I noticed several other people eating alone. I had never really noticed solo travelers before I went solo. I even met a couple in one of the lounges as I was looking for a seat; super nice folks who bought me dinner as a good luck before the race! And, as a bonus, you can turn all the lights on when you're getting ready at 2:30 in the morning without disrupting anyone!

Re: going alone. I did W&D this year alone and it was totally nbd. I wasn't sure about going to disney alone but I met people in the corrals and once you're running, it's doesn't really matter if you're alone anyway. I made several meal reservations and it wasn't weird at all. In fact, I noticed several other people eating alone. I had never really noticed solo travelers before I went solo. I even met a couple in one of the lounges as I was looking for a seat; super nice folks who bought me dinner as a good luck before the race! And, as a bonus, you can turn all the lights on when you're getting ready at 2:30 in the morning without disrupting anyone!
I've gone to Disney alone multiple times. It's always been great. runDisney was no different and the people were all friendly. I know some people don't like dining alone, but I've traveled for work enough that I got over it!

I'll give an alternate argument which will hopefully give you another perspective and just not confuse you more. The registration fee you have already paid is what we economists call a sunk cost. The money is spent whether you use it or not. There is a danger that in trying to not "waste" the fees that you spend much much more for the weekend and leave disappointed. Everything is expensive right now, from airfare to hotels to rental cars to park tickets to food. Only you can decide how you allocate your vacation money but don't let the registration fee already spent be the only driver.

Many people do race weekends solo and enjoy them, but not everyone is outgoing enough to spend time with strangers or enjoys being alone away from home. I very much enjoyed the Hollywood Hannah meetup and the DATW last weekend during the marathon weekend, but that is my personality...it may not be yours.

Any advice?
You've already received some great perspectives from other runners. I just hope to encourage you. I have run multiple Disney 5K races including some where I finished in 90 minutes because if was in line for character photos. And every 5K I have ever done was one where I walked the entire race because I was either conserving energy for later Disney races that weekend or with a family member who needed to go slower. So even now you have plenty of time to prepare for the Princess 5K.

As others have mentioned, they don't really sweep the 5K races. They may cut off character lines which I experienced at the Walt Disney World 5K 2 weeks ago, but they don't sweep.

I have run all Disney races solo. Even on races where my little sister joined me for the race weekend, we ran at our own paces and did our own thing during each race. One thing I love about a solo trip is being in complete control of my agenda. If I want to spend all day in Galaxy's Edge (which I have done) no one can complain that they want to do something else. I decide where I get to eat.

I understand how sometimes you just don't feel up for the challenges of a race weekend. After an unusually stressful 2021 and the craziness of the holidays, I was not fully excited about going to Disney World for Marathon Weekend. I was too worried about what I have to deal with after coming back. But honestly, once I got there I had a great time and was able to actually relax. Even with the running. It's okay to feel nervous. It's okay to feel concerned. But you still have plenty of time to prepare and enjoy your race weekend if you do decide to go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter