Radiator Springs Racer

torigirl0609

Earning My Ears
Planing my family’s first trip to Disneyland and really want to do Radiator Springs racer. Unfortunately I can’t do any rides with drops due to a medical condition (even pirates is to much) how bad are the hills on this ride, don’t want the kids to miss out because I can’t go. Also any other rides in Disneyland or DCA with unexpected drops it’s so hard to tell from povs and the website description alone.

Have you ever ridden Test Track at WDW? It's exactly the same track. No drops, just short stops (jerky brakes), a few small, smooth dips, nothing like Pirates.

PS This forum is focused on WDW. You can find the Disneyland forum HERE.

I hate drops and I can do Radiator Springs. In fact, it's my favorite ride in all US Disney parks! I would certainly avoid Guardians. There is also a small, sudden drop on Rise of the Resistance that you could see in a video if you need to prepare yourself. I can handle that, but was very glad I knew it was coming so I could brace myself.

Have you ever ridden Test Track at WDW? It's exactly the same track. No drops, just short stops (jerky brakes), a few small, smooth dips, nothing like Pirates.

PS This forum is focused on WDW. You can find the Disneyland forum HERE.
The track and ride are completely different. RR is much longer as well. The vehicle is the same. Not much in the way of hills and certainly no drop.

There are "bunny hills" where the car goes up and down over hills. It's not the most intense rollercoaster, but it is very much still a rollercoaster. If you can't handle pirates I would not recommend Radiator Springs Racers.
Pirates has defined drops those do not exist on RR. RSR is one of the most spectacular rides in Disneyland. You would be doing yourself a disservice by passing it up. Test Track has far bigger hills and more sudden motions than anything on RSR

Pirates has defined drops those do not exist on RR. RSR is one of the most spectacular rides in Disneyland. You would be doing yourself a disservice by passing it up. Test Track has far bigger hills and more sudden motions than anything on RSR
The bunny hills towards the end definitely count. The inner ear/stomach dropping sensation is definitely there.

Planing my family’s first trip to Disneyland and really want to do Radiator Springs racer. Unfortunately I can’t do any rides with drops due to a medical condition (even pirates is to much) how bad are the hills on this ride, don’t want the kids to miss out because I can’t go. Also any other rides in Disneyland or DCA with unexpected drops it’s so hard to tell from povs and the website description alone.

Re: your question about any other rides - Rise of the Resistance has an unexpected drop similar to pirates I’d say.

I just wanted to chime in here... because to *me*, the dips aren't that bad at all on Radiator Springs. HOWEVER, I took my mom last year (who is sensitive to drops, as well) and while she handles Pirates just fine, the three rolling 'dips' on RSR nearly did her in! She stills rides Pirates, but refuses to do RSR ever again.

If it's a medical condition, do not ride Racers. There is a fairly significant hill taken at high speed that makes your stomach drop. The ride does display the warnings for intensity and suggests that guests with medical conditions that could be aggravated by sudden drops should not ride.

Are your kids old enough to ride together without you? You can purchase them ILL and send them through alone if so.

I agree. My son finds those bunny hills to be really intense.

Same. My son enjoys the bulk of the ride but freaks out on the bunny hills.

If it's a medical condition, do not ride Racers. There is a fairly significant hill taken at high speed that makes your stomach drop. The ride does display the warnings for intensity and suggests that guests with medical conditions that could be aggravated by sudden drops should not ride.

Are your kids old enough to ride together without you? You can purchase them ILL and send them through alone if so.

I agree that if it's a medical condition...I wouldn't risk it.

Not the OP, but curious what would the drops be comparable to? I can handle pirates, will ride splash but HATE the drop. I love dwarves in wdw but yes, I am one of those who finds it intense.

I thought this ride was more like test track? Now I’m starting to wonder. I’m familiar with wdw rides and most DL, not DCA.

Much different than test track even though the same ride tech is used. Intensity wise I don’t think it’s any worse than the drops on Pirates or a small but smooth coaster. The banks and hills do make for a mildly thrilling ride, but no where near the speed of test track

I would put it on par with Big Thunder for intensity. The rides aren't similar, and the drop on Big Thunder is a bigger drop, but it doesn't feel as intense to me as the bunny hills on RSR.

Or maybe it is like Pirates. Either way, it definite has "drops" and I wouldn't chance it if it's a medical condition.

Last edited:
Oh gosh, I would never think of it as a coaster. It’s fun in a drive fast kind of way but there’s none of the “I’m going to come off a track/fall down this hill” coaster issue.

Not the OP, but curious what would the drops be comparable to? I can handle pirates, will ride splash but HATE the drop. I love dwarves in wdw but yes, I am one of those who finds it intense.

I thought this ride was more like test track? Now I’m starting to wonder. I’m familiar with wdw rides and most DL, not DCA.

It's probably about the same height as Pirates (maybe 15 feet on the largest hill) , but it's a series of hills that you approach at about 35mph, rather than a slow crawl to a sloped ramp drop like in Pirates.

If you were driving an actual car at that speed over hills shaped like that, your car might go airborne. These cars don't because they are essentially slot cars attached to the track. So, you do feel your body lift up at the crest of the final hill because the car stays put underneath you. It will give you that tummy tickle feeling.

WDW ride comparison wise, I'd say 7 Dwarfs or Slinky Dog is equivalent. The large hill in Slinky Dog is the closest feeling I can think of. Although, you do slow down considerably going up that hill. You don't slow down going up the hill on Racers and that's why it is so thrilling.

The feeling is most similar to wooden coaster bunny hills. Incredicoaster has a series of these towards the end and it's a very similar sensation.

It's probably about the same height as Pirates (maybe 15 feet on the largest hill) , but it's a series of hills that you approach at about 35mph, rather than a slow crawl to a sloped ramp drop like in Pirates.

If you were driving an actual car at that speed over hills shaped like that, your car might go airborne. These cars don't because they are essentially slot cars attached to the track. So, you do feel your body lift up at the crest of the final hill because the car stays put underneath you. It will give you that tummy tickle feeling.

WDW ride comparison wise, I'd say 7 Dwarfs or Slinky Dog is equivalent. The large hill in Slinky Dog is the closest feeling I can think of. Although, you do slow down considerably going up that hill. You don't slow down going up the hill on Racers and that's why it is so thrilling.

The feeling is most similar to wooden coaster bunny hills. Incredicoaster has a series of these towards the end and it's a very similar sensation.
Thank you! I rode slinky dog for the first time in September and was a total wimp about it, but not such a wimp that I didn’t get right back on. Zero wait and my sisters wanted to and it wasn’t so bad that I wouldn’t. Second time was easier. Contrast with the new Epcot guardians ride. Did that once and will do again but did not repeat that day. That one is amazing but 😖

I am so glad this came up because I would have been completely shocked!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter