Radiator Springs Racers shorter and slower?

PepperjackDragon

Mouseketeer
So I just had some friends ride Radiator Springs Racers and they all felt it was slower and shorter I tried googling it but didn’t see anything. However I did see something about somebody jumping on the track last April. Anything to it or just their perception today?

I noticed in our 2019 October trip that they had shortened the pre-race sequences -- shaving a few seconds here and there: less time to linger when you emerge out of the tunnel onto the vista from the mesa (with that great music!), when Doc Hudson is talking to you (you used to get the whole speech while you sat there, but now it's still going as you pull through the room), when you meet Mater before the cow-tipping (again you got to hear the whole speech *before* he backed away into the bushes, which now is still going as you drive past), when you're in Ramon's or Luigi's getting prepped for the race (you had more time in the prep, and more time to look at yourself in the mirror before exiting the room), etc.

People who hadn't ridden RSR as much as my family (we rope-dropped early entry, and gamed the heck out of FastPasses and MaxPass, riding it as many as five times in a day) might not notice, but to us it has been really obvious -- it's rushed, you don't get the whole story in any of the segments, and if you're only riding it the once, you might not even understand what's going on (e.g. wait, what did Mater say? why are we honking at tractors??). I blamed it on some 27-year-old MBA figuring out just precisely exactly what they could shave and not get any blowback, all to squeeze like three more cars an hour through the ride. 😡 And now, with lines never dipping below the 120-minute mark, I doubt it'll ever return to the old way.

I noticed in our 2019 October trip that they had shortened the pre-race sequences -- shaving a few seconds here and there: less time to linger when you emerge out of the tunnel onto the vista from the mesa (with that great music!), when Doc Hudson is talking to you (you used to get the whole speech while you sat there, but now it's still going as you pull through the room), when you meet Mater before the cow-tipping (again you got to hear the whole speech *before* he backed away into the bushes, which now is still going as you drive past), when you're in Ramon's or Luigi's getting prepped for the race (you had more time in the prep, and more time to look at yourself in the mirror before exiting the room), etc.

People who hadn't ridden RSR as much as my family (we rope-dropped early entry, and gamed the heck out of FastPasses and MaxPass, riding it as many as five times in a day) might not notice, but to us it has been really obvious -- it's rushed, you don't get the whole story in any of the segments, and if you're only riding it the once, you might not even understand what's going on (e.g. wait, what did Mater say? why are we honking at tractors??). I blamed it on some 27-year-old MBA figuring out just precisely exactly what they could shave and not get any blowback, all to squeeze like three more cars an hour through the ride. 😡 And now, with lines never dipping below the 120-minute mark, I doubt it'll ever return to the old way.

Nothing on the ride in terms of timing has changed since when the ride opened in 2012.

The only time you might notice a difference is when you come to the starting line for the race. The ride system will hold a car coming out of Luigi's for a very brief period of time, outside the normal waiting period, to wait for a car coming out of Ramones. If no car is available outside that extra hold window, then you will get a solo race. The opposite is also true if the ride system detects that a car will not be available to race, then the Luigi car will immediately start the race sequence.

Nothing on the ride in terms of timing has changed since when the ride opened in 2012.

The only time you might notice a difference is when you come to the starting line for the race. The ride system will hold a car coming out of Luigi's for a very brief period of time, outside the normal waiting period, to wait for a car coming out of Ramones. If no car is available outside that extra hold window, then you will get a solo race. The opposite is also true if the ride system detects that a car will not be available to race, then the Luigi car will immediately start the race sequence.

You know, it's interesting, but on my recent trip to WDW I noticed Test Track did a bit of an odd thing on the inside where it was moving us slower through the hard braking & turns, etc. I am not sure why it did this, but maybe it was some kind of triggered safety thing. Once it got to the fast part it went like normal, though we sat for longer right beforehand. TT doesn't have the "race" with another car, but I wonder if something like that could have happened considering they use the same underlying technology.

Well it sounds like my friends just had a bad experience-I personally think one of perception rather than reality based on what I’m reading here. However, you seem awfully confident about this. Do you mind if I ask why you are so certain nothing has changed since 2012?

You know, it's interesting, but on my recent trip to WDW I noticed Test Track did a bit of an odd thing on the inside where it was moving us slower through the hard braking & turns, etc. I am not sure why it did this, but maybe it was some kind of triggered safety thing. Once it got to the fast part it went like normal, though we sat for longer right beforehand. TT doesn't have the "race" with another car, but I wonder if something like that could have happened considering they use the same underlying technology.
I rode Test Track in January and I had the same experience. We went super slowly through the turns and did not even do the hard brake sequence. Then when we got to the part where you almost collide with the truck, we didn't do that sequence and got stuck there for a couple minutes which was kind of funny because the truck still does it's loud honk with the headlights every 10 seconds or so. I think it was just acting up that day.

Well it sounds like my friends just had a bad experience-I personally think one of perception rather than reality based on what I’m reading here. However, you seem awfully confident about this. Do you mind if I ask why you are so certain nothing has changed since 2012?

If anything had materially changed with regular operation it would be ALL OVER the Disney blogs - they report when a sign in a parking log is changed! 🤣 Thinking about my TT experiecne though, I do think it's possible that some kind of failsafe activated on thier ride causing it to move that way. RSR has WAY more room than TT does though, but the basic operation is the same.

Someone get the guy who has been on it 13,000+ times on the horn. He'll know.

(I'm kidding about getting him to chime in. But, there is a man who has been on it that many times and COUNTING...)

I wonder how it would be both slower and shorter

The ride has always been for Families. I remember going on it and wishing it went faster but its nit pick

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter