Raglan Road reviews Oct. 2006

Robert P

GLOBEX - taking over your world one country at a t
We ate at Raglan Road three times over a two week period. Instead of taking up space with each as an individual review, I will consolidate them, with differences between visits noted where/if applicable. I’ll wrap up with a brief review of the servers at the end.

Scenario - We had been wanting to revisit Raglan Road ever since our trip in November 2005. This trip, we did go during our first week with a party of 5 (3 adults, 2 kids), then the second week it was just my wife and I, and that week we used the dining plan.

Appetizers:
Scallop Forest – 6 scallops, served on forks. Perfectly cooked, and totally delicious. Tied for our best of the appetizers.
Heaven on Earth – ribs to die for. Guinness and honey glaze wasn’t smothering the ribs, but was pooled for easy access at the bottom of the bowl. Excellent, though not your typical smothered-in-sauce ribs. The other ‘best of’.
Drunk Chicken (I think so. It was chicken ) – chicken kebab, juicy, good flavor.
Salt & Pepper Squid – like a fried calamari, but more salt than pepper. Light breaded, not heavy, a very good dish. Fair amount of squid too.

Entrees:
Paddy’s Pork (what I refer to as the Planxty replacement) – pork loin, nicely cooked with some sort of flavoring that was maybe brushed on while cooking, and the center was stuffed with a mild English sausage. Very mild sausage, unlike a breakfast sausage, but the flavors worked well. Served on a bed of chunky mashed potatoes. Excellent.
Sod, The Stew - beef stew, slight Guinness flavor (probably the base). Good, but a small crock (seriously, it’s served in a small black crock). Not a huge portion.
It’s Not Bleedin Chowder – Best tasting dish of the week at Raglan Road, but I must question the value. Nice white wine and cream sauce, perfect blending of flavors. The sauce was just amazing. However, there were 2 medium shrimp, 2 small scallops,
and a lot of some type of white fish. The 2 and 2 on the prime seafood was disappointing for a not terribly large $19.95 bowl of chowder.
Serious Sirloin Steak – a good cut of meat, cooked correctly. Coupled well with the mashed potatoes and the topping of fried onions. Nice.

Desserts:
Bread & Butter Pudding – best B&B pudding I have had anywhere, ever, to date. Served in a tall mug, with 2 small pitchers of vanilla and caramel sauce, so you control the amounts, to your taste. Really a superb version of a classic dessert.
Bailey’s crème brulee tart – The replacement for my all time favorite dessert, the now retired Bailey’s Crème Pot. Nice flavor, decent size. Still, not the Crème Pot. Sigh.
Dunbrody Kiss – chocolate, chocolate, and even more chocolate. Maybe too much, but my wife says it is great.
Marie’s Strawberry and Apple Crumble – With the Bailey’s Crème Pot gone, this is the favorite for me. Good fruit flavor. A sweet pastry, with nice texture. Just about perfect, as desserts go.

Adult beverages:
The beer samplers (flights) were $8.50, and featured 4 small glasses of 3 to 4 ounce tasting portions. Can’t remember the details of each, but offered were Stella Artois, Murphy’s Red, Guinness, Smithwicks, and I think Boddingtons, and 3 others. Really good samplers, especially if you are not a beer expert (which I certainly am not). Cool presentation, on a small paddle. Other than my one sampler each night, I stuck to the old classic Black & Tan with dinner. A great selection on tap, just too many to remember.

Misc food:
The Irish Soda bread is a hearty bread served with dinner, with a honey Guinness reduction for dipping. Most excellent, especially when paired with the dipping sauce.

Servers:
First night, we were absolutely spoiled by Phillip. Best server of the trip. Knew the menu very well, and the beers. Could not ask for more in a server. Simply the best we had at Raglan, and the entire vacation. Also, the only server we had who explained what the beers were on the sampler, when it arrived.
Second visit was Linda. Good service. Third visit was Sara. Same. Good service.

Misc misc:
Halloween Night – the staff was in costume, including the band. Very funny. Especially watching the band’s singer, dressed as a woman, trying to figure out how to sit on his high stool, in a short dress.
And the dancer.... I am not permitted to comment about her, beyond a resounding ‘Wow' :thumbsup2 else my next trip, I may be going to WDW as a divorcee, but I completely agree with the other comments I have read. She was so striking that people were wandering the center floor area, just to take her picture. We only saw her our last night there (late ADR), but any future ADR’s I make will indeed be scheduled for much later in the evening as well.

I'll try to help with any questions about our meals.
Robert P

Great review thanks!

Raglan Road has now been added to my must do list for each trip. I've only been there once but it was my favorite dinner of all during my September trip. What's ood is I didn't even like the Shepards Pie but the beer, appitizer, bread pudding, the band and the dancer all made up for it to make it my best dinner.

I can't wait to go back in December!

RR3.jpg

The above photo was taken with a flash AFTER she stopped dancing.

Enjoyed reading your review ~ Thanx for sharing.

My DW, DD5 and I ate at Raglan Road in August and LOVED it too. It doesn't get mentioned nearly enough...surprisingly great food.

Thanks for the review. The appetizers all sound so good. I can't wait to try it next week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter