Railroad tracks

KarenW

DIS Veteran
Is there still somewhere easy to get to that you can see the old tracks? I know I have read about it in the past but didn't really pay close attention. This time I am traveling with my train obsessed nephew and he would think that was really cool!
Thanks!!

There are tracks between the 800 and 700 loops, this past time we were there (February) they had cleared a path that used to be totally covered and we followed the tracks all the way to the horse stables!

Karen,

One clarification about Stacey's answer about tracks between 700 and 800. There are railroad ties in the ground there but there are no rails. I walked both branches back behind 700 (it wasn't cleared then - ugh).

Every trip to the Fort I usually visit the remaining section of track/rails. I'm a steam train railfan and that extends to the former FWRR.

Here is the old official FWRR logo (called a "drumhead").

This is the mythical graphic that was artfully faded onto the water tower at the Meadows Pool (the main one) next to the slide a few years ago when it was redone.

Here is the remaining track. I will PM/Conversation you with details.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
there are remnants of the crossing arms at the 4 way stop and towards the 1600-1900 loop, also at the sidewalk that crosses the entrance to 1100 loop. When my boys were younger we spent a fun day riding around looking for traces of the train, we made a game out of it and then drew what we figured the layout was. We got pretty close to what was actually there. Its great trivia as they got older.

Thank you, everyone, for the replies. That was very helpful! I can't wait for our trip, only three weeks!!

Really wish they would bring back the railroad, with steam engines and cars able to handle the passenger traffic and the length of the line! I know it is not at all likely, but it would be so kool!

1) You can join the Carolwood Society ([URL]http://carolwood.com/)[/URL].
2) Carolwood was Walt's Backyard Railroad.
3) They also have some good activities/gatherings at FW and WDW. *

* As an example, they do walk-the-tracks at FW. Two years ago, we had a private tour of the Railroad Barn at WDW. The tour had an in-depth tour of the repair and docking facility. We were allowed to take photos, which are not permitted for the general public on the Steam Train Tour.

To add to TRS's helpful note, if you're a real fan of the FWRR you need to have the three outstanding books on the FWRR from David Leaphart listed here: http://www.steelwheelonsteelrail.com/indexwdw.htm.

I have the three on the left. The second (yellow) one has been updated since the initial release to include many more photos than were in the initial release. The two on the right are new to me and will soon join the others on my library shelf.

The first book on the left is the DEFINITIVE book on the FWRR including why it stopped running.

Bama Ed

To: bama_ed, the steam train rail fan . . .

1) Rail Fans need to visit the PUEBLA’S NATIONAL RAILWAY MUSEUM in Puebla, Puebla, Mexico.
. . . (Museo Nacional de los Ferrocarriles, MFNM) *
. . . located at the site of an old Puebla Rail Station built in 1869.
2) Positively HUGE.
. . . engines - diesel, electric, steam
. . . passenger and freight railcars of all types
. . . operating Roundhouse
. . . admission about $1.00 (American)

* Do a Google and see this monster museum, or click http://www.mexicopremiere.com/the-r...-lives-on-at-pueblas-national-railway-museum/

NOTE: I worked in Puebla for three years building and running manufacturing plants. Also, Puebla is the site of the battle on the hill (in the center of the town) which resulted in the Cinco de Mayo celebration.

Last edited:
1) You can join the Carolwood Society ([URL]http://carolwood.com/)[/URL].
2) Carolwood was Walt's Backyard Railroad.
3) They also have some good activities/gatherings at FW and WDW. *

* As an example, they do walk-the-tracks at FW. Two years ago, we had a private tour of the Railroad Barn at WDW. The tour had an in-depth tour of the repair and docking facility. We were allowed to take photos, which are not permitted for the general public on the Steam Train Tour.

This sounds awesome! How regularly do they have these sorts of events?

This sounds awesome! How regularly do they have these sorts of events?

1) The organization is based in California, where they have potions of Walt's Railroad.
2) They have functions throughout the year.
3) Historically, they have annual fall events at WDW that last for 1-2 weeks.
. . . dinners
. . . meet-and-greets
. . . tours
. . . other gatherings & activities
4) View their website for WDW activities.

This years un-meeting of the Carolwood will take place Sept 24 - 27th. It is usually only for the weekend.

To attend the event you must first be a member of he Carolwood Society ( http://carolwood.com/about-us/)

We have a behind the steam train tour and a MK tour planned.

Michael Broggie will be in attendance this year, but no presentation. We will have an informal get together at the Wildeerness Lodge Carolwood Room

On Sunday we are planning a walk of the rails followed by a BBQ at a members Cabin

If anyone in interested in attending or has any questions please let me know

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter