Rain....How does it impact your plans??

SpaceMan5

DIS Veteran
I have seen some posts lately referencing the rain, impacting crowd levels and travel plans. See @WonkaKid as the most recent example

Prior to the pandemic it seemed that rain = lower crowds but not so much now. I experienced this first hand during our last trip in January. For the most part, lots of rain and big crowds. I guess for us non-locals we will still trudge ahead and make the trip no matter what because of our work schedules, flights etc

How about you locals? Are you of the same mind set that we made the reservations and we are still going no matter the weather? Is it raining more now than in years past so you decide just to go? Is there something that Disney hits you with if you have to cancel a reservation?

Non-locals - are you now planning your trips for months that will have better weather? Or just go with the attitude that it is what it is?

I have seen some posts lately referencing the rain, impacting crowd levels and travel plans. See @WonkaKid as the most recent example

Prior to the pandemic it seemed that rain = lower crowds but not so much now. I experienced this first hand during our last trip in January. For the most part, lots of rain and big crowds. I guess for us non-locals we will still trudge ahead and make the trip no matter what because of our work schedules, flights etc

How about you locals? Are you of the same mind set that we made the reservations and we are still going no matter the weather? Is it raining more now than in years past so you decide just to go? Is there something that Disney hits you with if you have to cancel a reservation?

Non-locals - are you now planning your trips for months that will have better weather? Or just go with the attitude that it is what it is?
For locals who have Magic Keys, if you made your reservation and it was unexpectedly raining, most will still go because you get dinged for a no show. If I see lots of rain in the forecast I will cancel my reservations if I have time.

There are still many people who think rain at Disney = low crowds so they will go specifically for lower crowds … but then create crowds. That plus the non-locals who can’t easily switch their days or change their plans. It’s just busy all the time now regardless of rain.

Last edited:
I agree with @SOCALMouseMommy - most MK Holders will not cancel if it means a no show on their record. Rain has not been a deterrent for crowds the last couple of years. It can often make them feel worse because some rides with outdoor elements can’t run in the rain which makes walkways feel more crowded and wait time for other rides longer.

Although we’ve been getting more rain lately, and this is an El Niño year, it just doesn’t rain that often that it affects locals. As a local, I’m definitely NOT going in the rain, and if I get a MK strike due to rain, the odds are almost nonexistent that it will happen often enough to matter. I’ll take a no-show once or twice a year.

Unless it's storming then I would still go. And only cause lighting would probably get a lot of rides closed down.

I think part of the issue is that what with having to buy your tickets for specific dates you're kind of stuck, weather-wise. So that's strike 1 for low crowds. Strike 2 is that everyone now thinks that rain = low crowds. Not sure what strike 3 will be lol.

(put this in the wrong thread initially... oops)

I think the crowd thing really depends on how close the weather predictions are to the actual day. If there's little warning, then a lot of MKers will still show because they don't want a no-show. But if it's known that it's going to be a storm a couple days ahead of time? It might be different.

I was there this past February on that horrible weekend when it snowed in LA, and there was graupel at Disneyland, and all of that. That Saturday it rained a lot and was very cold. The crowds were NOTHING in the morning. They literally let us ride Pirates three times in a row because nobody was there, and were going to let us ride again but we were ready to move on. But then the parks started to fill in a bit more later in the day. (Though I would say they never really got close to peak levels. Lines stayed reasonable the rest of the day even with more crowds.) But, that was a storm they had been predicting all week, so it gave plenty of opportunity for locals or people making short trips to cancel.

The only reason we still went was that it was a family member's birthday, and I gave her the option to postpone but she was fine with it. We just packed all of our rain gear and warm clothes and a good attitude (the MOST important thing tbh) and still had a great time.

anyway, tl;dr - the further the advance notice for a storm, the less busy the park will be. no or little notice? still busy.

Echoing others that as a semi-local MK holder (San Diego) I will cancel if rain is in the extended forcast. I have gone soft since moving back home and do not like being cold at Disneyland. LOL

That said, if its last minute rain we will go to avoid a no-show.

We went on Friday, March 10 - it POURED all day and crowds were noticeably lighter. The posted wait for Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway was 30 minutes and I think we actually waited 15. We also got to ride RISE, which we hadn't been on in years - we definitely waited less than an hour for that. I can only speak to my own experience, but it was low crowds and waits all day - we had a fantastic (although damp!) time.

Rain at DL has never bothered us much. If rain is in the forecast, we carry cheap dollar store ponchos. If it's just a sprinkle, no big deal. If it starts pouring, we throw on the ponchos and keep going. It's an adventure!

There are times, though rare, when it rains so hard that it shuts down a whole lot of things in the park. A couple of years ago, it rained so hard (2nd week of Dec) that everything was flooded. DLR, and probably SoCal in general, is not designed for getting a lot of rain in a short amount of time. My sister and I were on Main St. We were going through the stores rather than be out in the downpour, and there was water streaming out of some of the overhead lights inside the stores. That was disconcerting! It wasn't much fun and many rides were closed. We had a reservation for Blue Bayou but it was pouring so hard and we were already wet and cold in spite of our complete rain gear so we just bailed and went back to the hotel. It was also windy and the combo overcame our raingear, which we had quickly shopped for the day before the trip due to the forecast. Somehow the water found its way inside our boots and ponchos and it was unpleasant.

HOWEVER, it didn't last all day and we had a great time in the Hearthstone Lounge sitting next to the Christmas tree and enjoying a holiday beverage. I know it's easier to switch gears when you don't have kids with you, but just wanted to say that it turned into a really fun day in spite of the rough beginning.

Here's one of my favorite pics of what can happen when DL get a ton of rain in a small space of time. This is the hub (I wasn't there):
ducks dl hub.JPG

Rain at DL has never bothered us much. If rain is in the forecast, we carry cheap dollar store ponchos. If it's just a sprinkle, no big deal. If it starts pouring, we throw on the ponchos and keep going. It's an adventure!
Agree! We will try to make reservations for rainy days. With good rain gear, a rainy day in the parks can be lots of fun. Now, extreme heat? Totally different issue. We'll cancel reservations to avoid that.

Agree! We will try to make reservations for rainy days. With good rain gear, a rainy day in the parks can be lots of fun. Now, extreme heat? Totally different issue. We'll cancel reservations to avoid that.
I do feel like the hottest days of the year - the extreme (as in over 110F) heat will also depress turnout to a degree, but you will have a miserable time. Whereas if you are dressed for rain (decent raincoat and footwear), you'll probably have a marvelous time at Disneyland in the rain.

That is a great attitude to have when dealing with the rain!

It's the cold rain that's unbearable! but otherwise with the right gear, you can have fun... if it's not cold!

50s° or less with rain = ☠dead lol
I don't belong in the midwest Haha

Rainy weather = illness. Bad weather always spoiled my plans, because of which I started to get sick..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter