Rain in December

kbmartin

DIS Veteran
My trip is very quickly approaching, and there is some rain in the forecast. I'm used to going to WDW in August. At that time, it rains every day and for a short burst of time, and I know that when I see rain in the forecast, it's not really going to rain ALL day. Is rain in December comparable to August? I'm guessing not, but can anyone tell me what to expect based on the rain in the current 10-day forecast? I was not expecting rain (I didn't think December was a rainy time), and I don't own rain gear... Let me know. Thanks.

Same concerns here. Noticing some rain in the forecast on Friday and Saturday and don't know how to interpret it ( continuous showers nonstop, isolated patches etc). I also know Orlando weather can be quite unpredictable so at what point in the forecast or how far out should one start believing what they are saying, especially regards to rain. Thanks, 2 more days to go

We are usually summer travelers as well. We were there briefly in October and the rain started around 5pm and latest through midnight. It was more of the steady rain we are used to at home.

We were more shocked by the cold snap that had come through when we were there. It was cold! Getting ready for a trip next week and we will be packing for all possibilities!

We have had highs of about 80 with no rain the past week. But it’s supposed to get colder in a day or two.

I live in New Orleans so I just assume any day can have rain. Same when I lived in Houston.

In Dec???

Yeah that's not correct,in December it rains when a cold front come through,sometimes they linger and hang around with cloudy weather for a couple of days but other times they're quick and gone in half a day,either way the rains this time of year are not summer rains,they're likely light and sometimes they predict 80% rain and all you get is an overcast day.The other days between the fronts tend to be beautiful.We actually haven't gotten much rain lately,I was driving in some areas where the grass is starting to get really dry.

Last edited:
Rains less down here in Dec than in the fall- but that doesn't mean a whole lot. Weather has been almost perfect here for a couple of weeks now- it might have rained overnight once- and a little sprinkle on an occasional day. Plan for rain- if you get lucky you won't need your wet weather gear, but if you need it at least you'll have it. Coming to Florida and not planning for some rain during the time here is a mistake. We only get a couple of inches of rain average in December- but it still rains. This isn't the desert southwest- it's Florida...

Looks like there is going to be a huge weather pattern change over the next week and I'm heading down the week of December 12th and am anticipating colder (60's).

Too early to predict any rain chances, but I'd rather have cooler than warmer with high rain chances.

Not going in December for pool time! ;-)

Live local to WDW. Rain in December is usually short-lived and, may, cause you an hour or two delay. But, typically is not a wash out for 1/2 day or more. Plan for mostly dry days and you should be fine.

When we've had rain during winter visits, they were brief, light showers. Nothing like the hours-long, heavy summer thunderstorms.

I'm leaving in two days and having trouble packing too - it looks like we'll have several days where the highs barely get into the 60s, so I'm trying to figure out what coats will keep me warm and how to deal with the predicted rain. It would have been nice if those 80 degree days stuck around a few days longer :smooth:

We're here now and I'm also looking at the weekend weather. We have ponchos and I'm really hoping Friday is a great day at AK...our first ever! We've been really looking forward to it.

I've been watching the weather for a while and so far it's been beautiful, not the rain that was originally called for, so don't lose hope!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter