Rainforest Cafe Potentially returning to DTD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since this thread is revived anyway, does anyone have recommendations on fun, child-friendly places to eat for kids in DTD or at the hotels? I’d like to take him somewhere on our first night, as we won’t be going into the parks that day. Food quality is secondary - the vacation is for him and I’d rather a fun and whimsical atmosphere.

As an aside, is it known why the hotel that was supposed to go in this space got pulled?

Since this thread is revived anyway, does anyone have recommendations on fun, child-friendly places to eat for kids in DTD or at the hotels? I’d like to take him somewhere on our first night, as we won’t be going into the parks that day. Food quality is secondary - the vacation is for him and I’d rather a fun and whimsical atmosphere.

As an aside, is it known why the hotel that was supposed to go in this space got pulled?
For me, with RFC gone, there is no obvious choice.

I think Tangaroa Terrace is fun
Napoli pizza is an option
Storytellers maybe - I have always left that place a bit disappointed and try to avoid it, but it is more child oriented
I have not yet been to Splitsville - maybe someone else can say something about that?

:wizard:

Reactions: EmJ
Yes, I agree with theluckyrabbit--we walked by several times last week and there was no indication that anything was happening.

I do wish they'd reopen RFC. First, because the experience for kids is cool. Second, because it has the potential to be a good option for family dining in DTD, though their menu had really gone downhill IMO. Third, because I can get free gift cards and I get a $25 birthday coupon every year plus a few other perks as a Landry's member. There isn't a Landry's restaurant in my area so I always used those things at RFC in DTD. I know they have Bubba Gumps and Morton's nearby, but I don't usually stay in that area when I go to DLR.

What about Goofy's Kitchen in the DLH? We had fun at breakfast (just 2 adults). Can't say how the food is at dinner, but you do get to see characters while you eat.

What about Goofy's Kitchen in the DLH? We had fun at breakfast (just 2 adults). Can't say how the food is at dinner, but you do get to see characters while you eat.
Can you go to Goofy’s Kitchen character dinner without park tickets? That might be ideal to do the first night.

For me, with RFC gone, there is no obvious choice.

I think Tangaroa Terrace is fun
Napoli pizza is an option
Storytellers maybe - I have always left that place a bit disappointed and try to avoid it, but it is more child oriented
I have not yet been to Splitsville - maybe someone else can say something about that?

:wizard:
Storytellers and Teratoa both look cute. Thanks! We will pass on Splitsville though... if my kid sees bowling, he will want to play, and it’s a giant production every time he’s up for his second ball and ALL the pins aren’t put back up [eyeroll]. We will try bowling again when he is approximately 30 years old.

Can you go to Goofy’s Kitchen character dinner without park tickets? That might be ideal to do the first night.

Goofy's isn't located in the parks so no park ticket is needed. It's not my favorite character dining experience, but it is the only one available for dinner at DLR. Good option, though, for a little bit of Disney dining atmosphere without having to use a ticket to enter the parks.

Goofy's isn't located in the parks so no park ticket is needed. It's not my favorite character dining experience, but it is the only one available for dinner at DLR. Good option, though, for a little bit of Disney dining atmosphere without having to use a ticket to enter the parks.
Maybe we will do this. What about it don’t you like? My son has never been to a Disney park so everything will be new and exciting to him (and he won’t know if there’s something better out there!) Though, he LOVES all Things In Costumes and would be disappointed if he couldn’t hug them or get a photo.

Maybe we will do this. What about it don’t you like? My son has never been to a Disney park so everything will be new and exciting to him (and he won’t know if there’s something better out there!) Though, he LOVES all Things In Costumes and would be disappointed if he couldn’t hug them or get a photo.
It's a great arrival night tradition. We did that for years. Great way to kick off at trip!

Yes, I highly recommend Goofy's Kitchen, we always do this on a non-park day for dinner and its a fun lively atmosphere with all the characters dancing around and stopping by each table. My daughter loves it and the food is good. Just make sure to make a reservation as it is the only character dinner spot and it gets booked up.

I personally prefer Plaza Inn (which does require a park ticket) for the variety and number of characters. Although it's only breakfast which for me, a very much not morning person, is difficult lol! Goofy's is more of the standard, you can find them in the parks characters.

I personally prefer Plaza Inn (which does require a park ticket) for the variety and number of characters. Although it's only breakfast which for me, a very much not morning person, is difficult lol! Goofy's is more of the standard, you can find them in the parks characters.
Got it! That might actually work in my favor... since he’s never been before, all the characters will be new to him, and maybe it will even save us some time spent in meet and greet lines.

Thanks everyone, I think we have our inaugural dinner location selected!

Got it! That might actually work in my favor... since he’s never been before, all the characters will be new to him, and maybe it will even save us some time spent in meet and greet lines.

At Disneyland Hotel, on your way to or from Goofy’s kitchen, do stop in at Trader Sam’s Tiki Bar!! It is like inside the tiki room in Disneyland with talking tiki heads and windows that have storms etc! It is super cool!! They have yummy tropical drinks both with and without alcohol, children are allowed in! And when certain drinks are ordered it could trigger a volcano to erupt, or a storm to happen!

At Disneyland Hotel, on your way to or from Goofy’s kitchen, do stop in at Trader Sam’s Tiki Bar!! It is like inside the tiki room in Disneyland with talking tiki heads and windows that have storms etc! It is super cool!! They have yummy tropical drinks both with and without alcohol, children are allowed in! And when certain drinks are ordered it could trigger a volcano to erupt, or a storm to happen!
Oh my goodness, thanks for the tip. We will do this! To make the volcano or storm happen, is there a specific drink to order, or is it random?

We enjoyed Goofy's Kitchen for dinner last June. The food was plentiful with lots of options. We had great character interaction. We got our picture with chef Mickey when we walked in and then Goofy along with Minnie, Chip, Dale, and Pluto came to our table. Sometimes the initial picture is with Goofy. Be alert to where the characters are when you go to get your food so you don't walk away right before your turn. As long as you aren't in a hurry they'll all make it to you. Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter