Rainforest Cafe - Which One??

My recommendation would be depending where you happen to be at the moment. They serve identical food, themeing, etc. base you decision on which location suits your needs.:goodvibes

I've always found it easier to eat at the one at AK than DTD, so we plan to eat there when we are at AK. It just seems that there is always a HUGE wait at DTD. Maybe when they open T-Rex, it will get a little better

Honestly neither...while the theming is incredible, the food is just awful! Sorry, I hope it is different for you.

I agree with whichever one you are closer to at that time.

Honestly neither...while the theming is incredible, the food is just awful! Sorry, I hope it is different for you.

I agree with whichever one you are closer to at that time.

I agree. The food really is disappointing and very expensive.

We at at the one at DTD. There was a very long wait to eat inside, but we were able to eat on the deck. It was a beautiful evening and we enjoyed ourselves (and used the restrooms at one point so they boys got to see inside). The food just stinks though.

opt for the one in DTD the wait can be reduced by calling the restaurant directly and getting an ADR/reservation. At the appointed time, you will enter on the of the dining room two lines inside the building. From there is less than a fifteen minute wait.

I agree with the posters above that the food is not the best. For us it is convenient given that we have young kids and any meal that takes them away from Disney has to be quick and/or entertaining.

I'm going to try to sell them on HOB next time. It can be diverting also.

We have an ADR for the one at AK for our upcoming trip. Sure hope the food is decent. From what I see of the prices I sure would hate to pay that much for unedible food.

opt for the one in DTD the wait can be reduced by calling the restaurant directly and getting an ADR/reservation. At the appointed time, you will enter on the of the dining room two lines inside the building. From there is less than a fifteen minute wait.

I agree with the posters above that the food is not the best. For us it is convenient given that we have young kids and any meal that takes them away from Disney has to be quick and/or entertaining.

I'm going to try to sell them on HOB next time. It can be diverting also.

Making an ADR doesn't always work.. We made one last April and we still waited almost 2 hours. After leaving our home at 6am and flying down to WDW, by the time we finally sat down to eat (I think it was around 8PM, our ADR was for 6:15PM).. well it made for a very long day.

I do have a hard time agreeing with everyone who says that their food is horrible. The last 2 years we have made sure that we make RFC a ritual. We have had excellent meals every time. I always get the Pot Roast which is delicious, and melts in your mouth. My DH has had 2 different meals and he loved them both. My DS10 has always gotten the Chicken and Fries and he loved them. We always get an appitizer and all I can say is yummm... and of course, it isn't a visit to RFC with out the Volcano. I can't wait to go back there next April. We've been telling my BIL all about it, now he can't wait to go. We'll still call and make a reservation, we just have to make sure that when we get there, we are a bit more forceful about their remembering it. though we are going later in April so hopefully it won't be as insanly crowded as it was last April :scared1:

The theming in RFC restaurants is truly amazing and makes it a destination in itself. I've been to RFCs in Houston, LV, SA, and both at Disney. The food is OK, not terrible. It's just like any other restaurant...they'll have bad days, a bad cook, a poor waiter, etc. Being from Louisiana, I rarely find a restaurant away from home or my own kitchen that makes my mouth water!

Take it for what it is...I enjoy it and don't expect a gourmet meal. Stick to the basic items and you'll be fine and enjoy it as well.

We find the food decent - it seems to be better if you stick to more basic items. We go for the atmosphere and since it is my DS's favorite place. I was hoping we could skip it at AK this year since we have been to the one in KC a few times this past year but he still really wants to go. He thinks that one is "cooler" since it is at WDW. We prefer the AK one simply because it is usually less crowded and it fits in nicely with a day at AK. I think we are going to do a lunch there this year as a nice midday break. :)

I'd avoid both of them. Never had good service or good food at either one. In fact, both food and service were horrid. The pot roast that I was served was one big hunk of gristle. When I was finally able to get our server's attention about it, my husband and son were already finished eating. So I didn't get to eat. My husband was sold a smoothie-type drink with a large hunk of plastic in it. We even did the RFC at DTD-DL and it wasn't any better. We were seated outside and it was cool, so they had the gas heaters burning. The one right next to our table was melting and falling apart. When we brought it to their attention, they shrugged their shoulders and said, "And???" One, two, three strikes and RFC is OUT.

If you want good pot roast, eat lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern. Their's is fantastic. I've gotten it multiple times (maybe ten or more) and it was always excellent.

thanks ever so much for your comments - I have been to the DTD one before and agree that the food isn't the best i've ever had!!!

However, we are taking our two children for the first time, and I agree with a previous Diser who said that it is more for the entertainment value and keeping them occupied as much as anything else for us!!
;)

With that in mind - Are they pretty much identical inside?? (It's just we have also been to the one in Disneyland Paris and I didn't think it was half as nice inside as the one at DTD??!!)

thanks again:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Come to think of it...our preschooler loved the atmosphere. It is pretty terrific as far as that goes. Hmmm maybe if we stick to sandwiches and go for lunch.....how crowded is the AK one for lunch the second week of Dec, anyone know?:rolleyes1

I say skip em both... the food is AWFUL, they are packed and the service is not the greatest. Anytime I bring up eating at one My DH gives me the full body shutter :lmao:

This past June we went to the one in AK and had a great time. Just a suggestion, the whole family thought the nachos appetizer (I think it's called "Lava Nachos"?) was delicious, and the portion was HUGE-- after eating that, we were sorry we'd ordered meals!

The only one my parents and I have been to is the one at Downtown Disney Marketplace and we have always enjoyed eating there. We never have had any problems with the servers, the food we always order tastes amazing and since we like to eat there early we never wait for our name to be called. So when we arrive they tell us to either line up for the Gorilla room or the Elephant room.

We eat at RFC at DTD every trip. We love the theming and the food! My teenagers order the pizza most of the time because they can get it how they want and they think it is great! The reason we eat at the one at DTD is if there is a wait, you have plenty there to see and do so the wait is not so bad. A couple hints, go early and you can get seated quickly. One time we went at lunch and got right in. Also, check with the concierge at your resort. When we stayed at the Swan, they gave us a 30 min pass. They put us on the list and in less than 30 min (when the wait was 2 hrs!) we got in. MMMM Awesome appetizers!!! I usually make those my meal. We are going in December and January and will surely make our trip to RFC!

I Am So Suprised At All The Negative Comments Of The Rc. We Were There About 2 Yrs.ago At The Dtd One And It Was Very Busy But The Waiter Was Excellant And The Food Was Very Good Compared To Some Of The Other Places We Had Eaten At. Also I Guess The Atmosphere Doesnt Hurt With Smaller Children. They Found It Fascinating. Of Course In 2 Yrs, The Quality Could Of Dropped Off Dramatically. What A Shame, Because My 2ds Want To Go There Again And Now I Am Hesitant....

I can't comment on the RFC @ AK, but we tried the one in DTD in April. Despite a very long wait (Friday night), we thought it had very good food. If I remember correctly, I had steak and it was very good. The food has high prices, but not unlike any other restaurant. Our server was very good, he was attentative with us (my wife and I) and paid no less attention to us than he did with the larger tables. To me, that gets a thumbs up every time! In my opinion, it was far better than the majority of WDW restaurants we tried all week long.

Also with DTD, when you are done, if it's not too late there are other things to do as well (shopping, night spots).

I'd like to think we'll go back when we return to WDW next October.

I agree with neither - the food isn't very good. However, if you are hot and tired at AK, it's not a bad place to break for a cocktail and appetizer. If you have a smallish party, the bar doesn't require an ADR and you can get the full menu.

~ P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter