Raise your hand if you're expecting severe weather today!

Northern Indiana here. We are under a Winter Storm Warning. Kids are on Elearning today. 5-8 inches of snow expected with 30-40 mph winds this afternoon. Wednesday was 60 degrees here and it was so nice!!!
Me too, But our kids are in school nothing is closed in my county. Wednesday was beautiful. I came into work early, and I'm going to leave around noon, which is not unusual for me for a friday.

Rain/ice/snow starting before sundown today and lasting until sundown tomorrow.

In like a lion, out like a lamb!
Lol!

I just checked again and it totally changed. Sunny today with rain overnight, and a much shorter window of precipitation. Time between checks was less than 45 minutes :laughing: Looks like the temp won’t drop under 40f.

🙋‍♀️ thunder storms this afternoon, has been raining nonstop since 6 am in Cincinnati. I'm sure tornado warnings will pop up later today.

NW Chicago suburb. We were supposed to -- originally 4-8." DH's out of town, so I wrote down snowblower info and gassed up the car and filled the gas canister. Went grocery shopping, made beef stew in the crockpot. I was ready!

Now it's less than 1/4" "snow showers" predicted. Oh well, dinner's made.

Delmarva reporting in-
Rain mid day and heavy rain later this evening. Wind tomorrow, but nothing terribly out of the ordinary I don't think. WISH it was going to be snow!

Anyone else? We are under a high wind warning but will probably have tornado warnings later. All the schools are closed, and our hatches are as battened as can be expected. I'm nervous, but we've done what we can.

Same for us!

Already this week already - Thursday morning at 1:00 am - we received tornado warning alerts on our phones during a thunderstorm.

I’m hoping it all fizzles out. Usually, when they go ahead & close the schools, it does.

Same for us!

Already this week already - Thursday morning at 1:00 am - we received tornado warning alerts on our phones during a thunderstorm.

I’m hoping it all fizzles out. Usually, when they go ahead & close the schools, it does.
Yep, me too. Not to say there wasn't cause to close schools, but I think the fact we've barely had a winter (and therefore few if any snow days) made it kind of a no-brainer.

4-10 inches of snow forecast here in Mid Michigan. Had a hell of a damaging ice storm last week. Hasn't started snowing yet and school went on as usual.

Many times these warnings go out and it’s never as bad as warned it will be, which I’m grateful for.
Just don't get too complacent with that! I can't speak to winter storms, but when Hurricane Ida came to NOLA in 2021, I felt the same way. It was forecast to hit us as a rapidly weakening Cat 1, but everyone was losing their minds. Again. Some of my friends actually evacuated. I thought they were nuts. Then it went through rapid intensification after it was too late to evacuate, and we went through the scariest night of my life when it roared in at the border between Cat 4 and Cat 5. And then 10 days of hell after it knocked out power to the entire city when the main transmission tower fell in the river.

I should have learned my lesson after Katrina. But I didn't. Now, if there's a hurricane headed this way, I'll be the first one in that evacuation line lol.

Stay safe!

Just don't get too complacent with that! I can't speak to winter storms, but when Hurricane Ida came to NOLA in 2021, I felt the same way. It was forecast to hit us as a rapidly weakening Cat 1, but everyone was losing their minds. Again. Some of my friends actually evacuated. I thought they were nuts. Then it went through rapid intensification after it was too late to evacuate, and we went through the scariest night of my life when it roared in at the border between Cat 4 and Cat 5. And then 10 days of hell after it knocked out power to the entire city when the main transmission tower fell in the river.

I should have learned my lesson after Katrina. But I didn't. Now, if there's a hurricane headed this way, I'll be the first one in that evacuation line lol.

Stay safe!
You can't do too much though about winter weather. I 100% get what the PP is feeling because it's how winter is every year here. Sure you want to be prepared for power outages and it's helpful to have things like ice melt a snow blower (depending on the snow you get), shovels, etc but there's so many times a 1-3 inches gets us nothing. I do believe this season in KC we had an "up to 5 inches or 6 inches" something like that and we got nothing seriously it was a bit stuck to the grass and melted by the afternoon/next day. Another time they predicted too low. You just don't need to go out buying the store every time something larger may be called for. And I can attest that over the years the reasons for schools being called are much looser than they used to be. They called off school one of these times where the snow was maybe 2-3 inches which isn't bad and the snow was a very wet one meaning easy enough to clear and just cars going over it would melt it, the temps overnight would have been the more concern due to refreezing.

It's not really weather person's fault but just that you have to temper it with your particular area's expectations.

Hurricanes are different. You don't normally evacuate for snow in most areas.

Me too, But our kids are in school nothing is closed in my county. Wednesday was beautiful. I came into work early, and I'm going to leave around noon, which is not unusual for me for a friday.
We have a winter storm warning so that played into the elearning day. They thought the start-time would be around noon, but it keeps getting pushed back. My kids would rather just go to school instead of doing synchronous elearning....lol.

Currently in central PA. They were forecast rain, to sleet, to snow, and back to rain. It was supposed to start this morning, now this afternoon. Hope it doesn't affect my flight home tomorrow morning.

Home is Central Ky and forecast for heavy storms, high winds (60-70mph gusts according to what DW told me) and possible tornados. They made today an elearning day for the schools because they were worried about the weather during travel times. Don't know if any thing's hit there yet.

Yep, me too. Not to say there wasn't cause to close schools, but I think the fact we've barely had a winter (and therefore few if any snow days) made it kind of a no-brainer.
Oh, I agree! I wouldn’t want to be the school bus drivers trying to get kids home in the middle of a storm or the teachers trying to keep all the students safe during the storm - I’ve been a teacher during a tornado warning, & it’s no fun!

(And I don’t think our school system has used any snow days so far this year.)

(And, of course, when nothing happens, you’ll have people complaining - meteorologists & school officials can’t win!)

Our older son commutes to college, & he’s currently on his way home - they just cancelled all afternoon classes due to the impending weather.

EDITED TO ADD - And it’s started… about 45 minutes away from us currently w/ tornado warnings to our west.

Last edited:
Not here, although I was in the LA area earlier this week where it was windy as heck and apparently there was snow or graupel in limited areas (like Disneyland).

Really bizarre too. It's kind of cold and sunny, but only a 6ºF difference in high and low temps.

Nope. Second day in a row without severe weather. Going to take my 65 Mustang out for a run today since the weather has been horrible the past two weeks, and will suck again starting tomorrow.

Till midnight tonight we have a flood watch and high winds up to 45mph. Possible snow, but only 2 inches. It's pouring rain right now and 36 degrees. (NW Ohio)

We just got word from one of the company offices in Chattanooga that they are expecting bad winds and are shutting down. The IT guy (who works for hubby) said he was going to his MILs house because she has a basement.

It’s quite windy on the gulf coast of Florida (south of Sarasota) but that’s it. Flying home Tuesday, hope all the bad weather has gone by then.

Florida has a red flag warning until 7 pm. A combination of strong winds, low relative humidity and warm temperatures can contribute to "extreme fire behavior," according to the National Weather Service

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter