• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rant: How does DCL determine MDR seating?

Did you try to change it on the website? When I originally booked on Wednesday, we were given second seating and I just went to the website and changed it to main seating. I hope it's that easy for you.

Yes, they did. So did I. It's blocked out.

Hopefully you can get main with a little bit of determination. I am with you, we did late seating once and I hated it. I am an early riser (Like before 6am), and dinner starting at 8:30, plus the waitstaff being in no rush to move quickly was a terrible combination for a 7 night cruise.

Did you try to change it on the website? When I originally booked on Wednesday, we were given second seating and I just went to the website and changed it to main seating. I hope it's that easy for you.
This was our experience too. We were given the second seating on the opening day as well, but I went into the website immediately after and found the option to change it.

A lot of people's 3 day holds will be coming up today, tomorrow, and the next day. And this early, I would be shocked if your wait list didn't come through.

Do the holds let you pick seating? I've never put anything on hold.

A lot of people's 3 day holds will be coming up today, tomorrow, and the next day. And this early, I would be shocked if your wait list didn't come through.
We've been on the wait list for all but one of our cruises. Except for one of those, we've always moved from late to main seating. So, 10 out of 11 cruises we had to start on late seating, and were moved.

We booked Silver for 9 night SC, party of 3, and also could only get second seating. I'm trying to get my travel agent to hound them. We really don't like eating that late. I am hoping at least, that capacity is up by then, and we can get main seating on ship as a last resort. If it were a Western or Eastern, I might consider canceling if we couldn't get main. But, since this is a limited itinerary, I understand a bit. Maybe they will release Wish itineraries and more people will bail from the SC.

check online now...we are booked on the same cruise, second seating (which we prefer) but I do have the option open to switch to main

check online now...we are booked on the same cruise, second seating (which we prefer) but I do have the option open to switch to main

Thank you for this. And all who replied.
I was able to change *BOTH* of the sailings to MAIN seating. Online.
Didn't have to contact them again by phone or send emails.
I'm grateful I was able to change from 2nd to main seating this early. Peace of mind now.
Now all that's left is for DCL to sail.
** RANT off **

Hopefully you can get main with a little bit of determination. I am with you, we did late seating once and I hated it. I am an early riser (Like before 6am), and dinner starting at 8:30, plus the waitstaff being in no rush to move quickly was a terrible combination for a 7 night cruise.

Yeah. I'm also up around 5-530 .. at 6 I'm walking my daily 3 miles on deck 4... I like to have dinner 'early' so the 545 pm works perfect for me. I hate eating anything after 8 pm, have a hard time falling asleep when I do.. by 10 pm I'm ready to go to bed.. many ppl like 2nd seating, especially the night owls, and that's cool.
For me, second seating interferes with my goal of being relaxed on the cruise. I'm glad I was able to change them

Including lurking, I've been on this board 19 years and I don't think anyone has figured out the dining seating assignment system. Same with free upgrades. Not sure how and if the color system has changed that. But folks do seem to have some success with the wait list. So good luck with that.
I will also add, after 19 years that many forced to take late seating discover they like it better.

We also have 2nd seating and it's just too close to bedtime for me - I'm solar powered: sun up, I'm up; sun down, I'm a zombie. I wish the shows were always after dinner then I would have some reason to stay up later - I could pretend 2nd seating was a whacky daylight savings time.
DH and I are traveling without children next trip, so I understand why DCL would want to leave early dining for children, but my tummy won't understand or care. If we stay as late seating (we're waitlisted for early), I need something to do other than drink after dinner for a few hours with DH who doesn't/won't dance.
Anyone have suggestions on how we can stay active enough to want to stay up late after dinner if the club scene is a no-go for DH?

It's still not letting me. I can go to the "Change Seating" page, but the "Main" selection circle is greyed out and won't let me select it. I wonder if it's because I booked with a TA. She was going to try to call them to switch it, but I haven't heard back from her.

I wouldn't mind having 2nd seating if there were things to do late at night. Everything shutdowns by 11:30 - midnight. You can't even sit out on deck as they are spraying it down. I hate sitting in a venue by myself with the DJ or band. You are almost forced to go to your cabin. I've mainly travelled on the classic ships so maybe the Dream/Fantasy have more to do late night.

I wouldn't mind having 2nd seating if there were things to do late at night. Everything shutdowns by 11:30 - midnight. You can't even sit out on deck as they are spraying it down. I hate sitting in a venue by myself with the DJ or band. You are almost forced to go to your cabin. I've mainly travelled on the classic ships so maybe the Dream/Fantasy have more to do late night.

No, not really. There are the bars. I don't want to drink a lot really late, when I'm going to be leaving at 7:30am to go snorkeling :rolleyes:

I ask because I'm really ticked off. - So, I really dislike SECOND seating..
Of course I know 1st come 1st served is the main guideline. - But is there other criteria?
On Monday, the 1st day of booking (platinum) we booked at 8.00 AM ET.
At 8.15 we were done booking 2 sailings (Med and SC Summer 2022)
In both, main seating was NOT available. Only 2nd. - We asked to be put on waiting list for main.
But I mean, really? At 8 AM there were already hundreds of platinum ppl booking? (I'm assuming it's ~1000-1500 ppl per rotation) And ALL selected MAIN dining? - What a joke... What's the point of being platinum if you can't have the very basic perk of selecting your dining rotation, especially during the FIRST HOUR.
Anyway. Sorry for the rant. - I hope we get to be moved to main.. 1st world problems, I know, but still.
It's still not letting me. I can go to the "Change Seating" page, but the "Main" selection circle is greyed out and won't let me select it. I wonder if it's because I booked with a TA. She was going to try to call them to switch it, but I haven't heard back from her.

Try again now. I couldn't change to main last night around midnight Fl time, but this morning I could.

I had a last minute cruise a few years ago and they only had late seating available. I was able to change to main dining when I got on board. They have a couple of hours that the dining coordinators are taking walk up reservations and changes as people are boarding. I also hate late dining. I just can't eat a main meal that late at night, it makes me sick. Have a great cruise.

Which Med? We got main seating on the June 10, and we didn't book until Silver day. That is one of the less popular med cruises this year, but it sure seems like something if off if everyone on platinum day can't get main.

Hey, we're booked on the same cruise! 👋

We're Silver Castaway level, and managed to reserve main seating as well. Sailing with two children under 10 who are normally in bed between 8:00 and 9:00 pm every night, and, well, the three adults in their 40s are normally in bed between 10 and 11 too lol. We have the same routine at night for every cruise: after dinner, my mom and I attend the show in the Walt Disney Theater while my sister and BIL put the kids to bed, and I hang out on my own, grab a drink, and take in the adult entertainment before retiring for dinner.

I find it strange as well that a customer of Platinum level could not initially reserve main seating, but I'm going to chalk that off to a system error or glitch. Happy that you were able to change your seating, OP!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter