• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

RANT: I don't care if you want to sit next to your kids on the airplane

Hopefully whatever happened she realizes she needs to show up to the airport much earlier than has apparently been happening.

I know! I guess she would not be able to travel with us! We are "those" early birds. We are there well in advance, all checked in and having coffee and a bagel while waiting to board. No way will we intentionally place stress at the onset or end of a trip by arriving by the skin of our teeth.

Hopefully whatever happened she realizes she needs to show up to the airport much earlier than has apparently been happening.
We're typically "last-minuters" and practically never pay for seat selection. We go into it with a whatever-wherever expectation and it works out fine (we also wait at the gate until almost everyone else has boarded so we're not stuck on the plane so long, but I digress...). If we had need of specific seating arrangements for specific reasons we surely would be there early and be confirming everything with the gate agent and not just rolling-over to impromptu changes without further serious discussions with the FAs.

OMG.... Nancy, my husband is one to stress about this kind of thing, and wants to get to get to the airport insanely early!!!!!

I get it! I am one who likes to be early as well. I figure that once we get there and our bags are checked, my vacation begins. We do that on our check out day as well. Check bags early with RAC, personal things with bell services, and we are done. We get to DME at least 20 minutes early, except for that fiasco when the monorail broke down, so we ended up on a ferry to the GRand, Nola threw up just before boarding DME and cleaning and clothing purchases were necessary, and the driver was practically bellowing all aboard as the CM was holding him steady! Bad day! Now we use a cab back and never the monorail that last day! LOL!

But even then, they wouldn't have told her to just get on the plane and look for seats (which is what she said that she had to do). They'd have given her a boarding pass with new seats on it or wouldn't have let her board (saying that there were no seats).
I think it depends how late they are. I have seen passengers just grab any available seat on Delta at the FA’s direction. In that case they were probably given a boarding pass with no seat assignment.

I get it! I am one who likes to be early as well. I figure that once we get there and our bags are checked, my vacation begins. We do that on our check out day as well. Check bags early with RAC, personal things with bell services, and we are done.

Same!! I would much, much rather lounge in the airport (whether at the gate or a lounge) and have to “kill” time than rush and risk being late! It would stress me out to no end!!

I do understand waiting until the last possible minute to physically get on the plane, especially if I don’t have a bag that needs to go in the overhead. No need to squish in a seat earlier than necessary—unless it’s super early and I want to get on the plane and fall asleep!

Well, first of all, there is a fare that includes seat selection. Actually there are multiple fares that include seat selection... Economy, Comfort +, Business Class (if offered), and First Class. There's only one fare that DOESN'T include seat selection, and that's "Basic Economy".
Second, First Class offers free luggage. There are a number of itineraries that offer free checked luggage. Click here to see the breakdown.
Last, not forcing everyone to pay for items they don't need (seat selection, bags, etc), does give people the chance to save money.

I don't understand why people don't just look at the total amount for everything they want/need as the cost of the flight.

Fair enough.

In our case, for this particular situation, the other Delta fares that were available were significantly more expensive. If I recall, the next next available upgrades were in the vicinity of "only $275 or $450 extra pp, upgrade to our Comfort and Business class). I like the fact that by flying, I can get there in 4-6 hours of travelling, not 2.5 days, but spending $2500 for the five of us to fly is about all I want to pay. It's just not affordable otherwise.

And too add, Delta was significantly less than Air Canada, WestJet and United (at least $100 per ticket)

I am envious of folks who talk about bringing in their Disney trip for $3000, but our last one (all flights included) was nearly $12,000 (about $5000 for flights).

We collect airmiles and aeroplane points like crazy, but I sure wish there were some discount airlines available where we fly from.

Fair enough.

In our case, for this particular situation, the other Delta fares that were available were significantly more expensive. If I recall, the next next available upgrades were in the vicinity of "only $275 or $450 extra pp, upgrade to our Comfort and Business class). I like the fact that by flying, I can get there in 4-6 hours of travelling, not 2.5 days, but spending $2500 for the five of us to fly is about all I want to pay. It's just not affordable otherwise.

And too add, Delta was significantly less than Air Canada, WestJet and United (at least $100 per ticket)

I am envious of folks who talk about bringing in their Disney trip for $3000, but our last one (all flights included) was nearly $12,000 (about $5000 for flights).

We collect airmiles and aeroplane points like crazy, but I sure wish there were some discount airlines available where we fly from.
Where do you fly from?

Where do you fly from?
Most likely somewhere in Canada, If I could just drive over the border to Bellingham or Seattle I would in a heartbeat, I would. But alas, I live on an island that the only way off of is by plane or boat. Delta just started flying from here a couple of years ago and is SIGNIFICANTLY less expensive than any of the Canadian airlines ( Air Canada or Westjet). We are currently planning an extended family trip with 8 people. Westjet for 3 people Victoria (YYJ) to SNA (John Wayne) $2500.00+. Delta same route and better times $3632 for ALL 8 of us!! $454/ person RT on Delta vs $835/person RT on Westjet. Delta price includes seat selection too, Westjet doesn't.

I also am one to get to the airport super early. But I actually like to be there and wait. It seems as soon as I get there my vacation starts.
Count me as another person that checks in early and relaxes at the gate. I've done the terminal sprint as our flight was late leaving and we were running through Pearson Airport trying to make our flight to Vancouver. I swore I would avoid doing that again if it could be avoided.

I also am one to get to the airport super early. But I actually like to be there and wait. It seems as soon as I get there my vacation starts.

We have to lie to our pick-up shuttle because if you tell them the real time your flight leaves, they pick you up two hours before. But with traffic and distance, I would much rather be picked up 3 hours ahead. If security is backed up or the ticket check in is delayed, who needs that panic that you are cutting it too close. I'd rather sit in the airport for 90 minutes than start my trip off with an anxiety headache :sick:

I flew with my daughter on JetBlue. She intentionally wanted to sit alone and I paid for a bulkhead for myself due to an injury. We had a hard time explaining to the flight attendants who seem puzzled we declined their offers to move her up.

As for the mom, I agree that demanding was rude. But with blizzard/Snowmageddon, we just don't know what caused her particular situation. If OP was looking for folks to commiserate, then the additional details of airline and age of child are useful. Absent that, I'm sure the situation is the typical story that has 3 sides.

I mean poor Andie MacDowell got bumped to coach. Sometimes with blizzards--we just have to deal with steerage.:-)

I know this is an old thread but there have been times I would have paid extra to have my Daughter sit alone :rotfl2: just kidding...kind of.

I once traveled with a party of 6: my hubby, DD, about 4 at the time, my 2 boys about 14 and 17 and my mother around 70??

I forgot how I seated everyone, but I could not get us all in 2 rows of 3, but had it so we were all close to each other and everyone had 1 person with them.

My mother and younger son, 6'2" at the time, were across the aisle, one row up from me and my DD. They also had a seat, window, taken by a young girl, about 7?? Her father went to the row and asked if one of them would mind moving to his seat in the emergency row, a row behind me, so he could sit with his daughter. I thought perfect! More legroom for my son. Before anyone said anything I said "E..., why dont you move?" He did, my mother moved to the aisle seat and we all took off.

Fast forward 3 hours later and we land, get off the plane and I say something to my mother and get no response. I say it again and she says "Dont talk to me". Huh ???? "Whats wrong?" Her reply....

Mother - "I hope you know your act of kindness caused me great distress"
Me - Umm... "What are you talking about?"
Mother - "I had to ask a total stranger to open my preztels for me"

I laughed, she got even angrier and would not talk to me for 3 months!!!!! This was years ago and occasionally I bring it up and she still stands by she had the right to be upset. I think it is hilarious and so ridiculous, but thats how she felt.

Bottom line..I dont care who asks in the future (though she doesnt travel much anymore), I will NEVER give up a seat leaving my mother alone! Ill keep your kids entertained :) (and start by telling them stories of my crazy mother!!!)

Last edited:
I once traveled with a party of 6: my hubby, DD, about 4 at the time, my 2 boys about 14 and 17 and my mother around 70??

I forgot how I seated everyone, but I could not get us all in 2 rows of 3, but had it so we were all close to each other and everyone had 1 person with them.

My mother and younger son, 6'2" at the time, were across the aisle, one row up from me and my DD. They also had a seat, window, taken by a young girl, about 7?? Her father went to the row and asked if one of them would mind moving to his seat in the emergency row, a row behind me, so he could sit with his daughter. I thought perfect! More legroom for my son. Before anyone said anything I said "E..., why dont you move?" He did, my mother moved to the aisle seat and we all took off.

Fast forward 3 hours later and we land, get off the plane and I say something to my mother and get no response. I say it again and she says "Dont talk to me". Huh ???? "Whats wrong?" Her reply....

Mother - "I hope you know your act of kindness caused me great distress"
Me - Umm... "What are you talking about?"
Mother - "I had to ask a total stranger to open my preztels for me"

I laughed, she got even angrier and would not talk to me for 3 months!!!!! This was years ago and occasionally I bring it up and she still stands by she had the right to be upset. I think it is hilarious and so ridiculous, but thats how she felt.

Bottom line..I dont care who asks in the future (though she doesnt travel much anymore), I will NEVER give up a seat leaving my mother alone! Ill keep your kids entertained :) (and start my telling them stories of my crazy mother!!!)
That's hysterical!

On my recent flight home from MCO on Southwest, I paid for early bird for the three of us so we would be able to sit together. Another family had Dad board with the A-group and try to save seats for his family who ended up being some of the very last on the plane. He put books in the seats. We sat in the row right behind, and saw so many frustrated people, and finally a woman with her child who just said, I'm sorry, sir, but we're going to sit here. What was frustrating to me is that I PAID to board early and get seats together. If it's OK to pay just one early bird fee and then save seats, don't you think I would do that?

On my recent flight home from MCO on Southwest, I paid for early bird for the three of us so we would be able to sit together. Another family had Dad board with the A-group and try to save seats for his family who ended up being some of the very last on the plane. He put books in the seats. We sat in the row right behind, and saw so many frustrated people, and finally a woman with her child who just said, I'm sorry, sir, but we're going to sit here. What was frustrating to me is that I PAID to board early and get seats together. If it's OK to pay just one early bird fee and then save seats, don't you think I would do that?

What did the seat-saver do? I wouldn't want to sit next to him after thwarting him like that.

What did the seat-saver do? I wouldn't want to sit next to him after thwarting him like that.

I would put my headphones on and ignore any comments. I've experienced an uncomfortable situation while flying home on a 15-hour flight. Around 8 hours into the flight, the woman sitting in the opposite aisle seat in my three seat row had the guy sitting next to me wake me up to tell me that I had to switch seats with her. She told me she has to sit in my seat because she has a bad knee. I told her, I have a bad knee too, which I do, and promptly closed my eyes. I continued to ignore her loud moaning until I managed to fall asleep again.

He may be an A-lister though unless you saw his boarding pass and it said EBCI. Otherwise I don't assume that he paid for Early Bird Check In just for him. It's true that the passengers could sit in the seats he was attempting to save if they wanted to as it's an open seating policy. It's also true that another option for him other than attempting to save seats is to board with his family's boarding position. Saving seats should always be treated as a risk that someone will choose to sit there.

On my recent flight home from MCO on Southwest, I paid for early bird for the three of us so we would be able to sit together. Another family had Dad board with the A-group and try to save seats for his family who ended up being some of the very last on the plane. He put books in the seats. We sat in the row right behind, and saw so many frustrated people, and finally a woman with her child who just said, I'm sorry, sir, but we're going to sit here.
Good for her. If more people challenged seat savers, it would be less of a problem. I've done it before when at the end of my tether. Boarded a SWA plane late in the evening, right after a miserable flight to get to that airport, with an autistic child who might have melted down without a good window seat. I saw one, and indicated to the woman sitting on the aisle that we would take the two inner seats. She told me that her mother was going to sit there. I gestured to the empty aisle seat directly across, and said that her mother could sit there, but that we would be taking those inner seats. We took them. She moved away & complained to a fellow passenger once. No regrets here. I had paid for Early Bird for both of us.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter