Rarest Character?

I've seen Flik and Atta at Ak after 2005 (I believe they are now retired along with Jiminey Cricket)

I am curious about this whole character retirement thing. When Disney 'retires' a character, is it forever, or do they drag them out of mothballs when they are so inclined? Just wondering why they would retire a classic Disney character like Jiminey Cricket, who sang the song that represents the Disney company itself; 'When You Wish Upon A Star'. :confused3

My rarest is probably the cast from Atlantis. They had a meet and greet area by where the finding nemo ride now is at disneyland, and I remember Milo telling me about how the giant leviathan is twice the size of the matterhorn! I was pretty young at the time.

I am curious about this whole character retirement thing. When Disney 'retires' a character, is it forever, or do they drag them out of mothballs when they are so inclined? Just wondering why they would retire a classic Disney character like Jiminey Cricket, who sang the song that represents the Disney company itself; 'When You Wish Upon A Star'. :confused3

If a character is retired - then it's gone. The only way it would return is typically in a completely new form (example: Tuck, Roll, Frances).

The problem is, what Guests (and character insiders) call retired aren't necessarily retired. So someone on a board may say that a character is retired, when in reality it isn't (example: Flik, Atta, and Jiminy are NOT retired). This is the reason I do not use the word retired in my list above.

Disney is the only one who can say who is actually retired, and they would never comment on things like that.

We met Flik and Princess Atta at the AK 15th Anniversary Party in late April. I didn't realize it was such a big deal until a castmember at AOA was making a fuss about it when DD told her later that night.

We also met Thumper, Miss Bunny, Kenai (who bear hugged me, lol) and Koda that night as well. It was kind of cool actually.

It has been quite a long time now, but I have a pic of my oldest son with Shan Yu (sp?) from Mulan. I have only ever seen him in the parks that 1 time.

If a character is retired - then it's gone. The only way it would return is typically in a completely new form (example: Tuck, Roll, Frances).

The problem is, what Guests (and character insiders) call retired aren't necessarily retired. So someone on a board may say that a character is retired, when in reality it isn't (example: Flik, Atta, and Jiminy are NOT retired). This is the reason I do not use the word retired in my list above.

Disney is the only one who can say who is actually retired, and they would never comment on things like that.

Thanks for clearing this up. Happy to know that Jiminey is still employed. :)

I agree with the whole rare vs retired distinction. I have met many of the characters listed above too, at various times over the years.

Our rarest was Lady Jane from Tarzan. She was on rotation one time at Akershus, years ago. She passed through the dining room, and hardly anyone knew who she was! The servers said she had never come out before, and even they were surprised! Have never seen her since.

Cool thread, Tiger

I wonder how they decide that a particular character will get lots of play at one park but not much at the other.

Several different factors:

• Theming is huge. If the character doesn't "fit in" any where, then they aren't seen out very much
  • Photopass sales - if said character sells a lot of photos, then they stick around for awhile
  • Guest counts - how long are the lines, how many people are visiting with the characters

As for the random/pop up sets - Theming is big here too. Say Tigger's not available, they'll use another character from the 100 Acre Wood to replace him. Maybe White Rabbit's unavailable, but you see Queen of Hearts instead... etc. There are also a lot of other factors for random character that can't really be discussed on a public board.

Berlioz70 said:
As for Rare regular characters that still have a chance of appearing... John Smith, Mowgli, or Shang. There are lots of characters that have been popping out for Limited Time Magic or the recent Disney Dreamers Everywhere events - but it's really unknown if we'll see those again in any type of regular pattern.

I list characters by their level of Rarity here: WDW CHARACTER FREQUENCY

For myself, I'd have to go with Queen Elinor - as she's never done M&Gs, and only appeared for a quick 5 minutes during Merida's coronation.

BRAVE

Great list! I have a few on rare and uncommon because of LTM long lost friends, true love week, and fairy week (although I missed Silvermist. Also got Terrence&Liverlips from Frontier Hoedown, MNSHHP characters likes Dwarves, Genie/Abu, Tarzan group & villains, SWW characters, and recently luck finding Tweedles& Yellow Rabbit. But probably Darby, Flik& Mr. Russell are ones that I've met that don't come out much (if at all as far as I know) anymore.

Excited today to mark Wendy off my list of characters to meet.

I've met a lot of characters. Some of my rarest are Stromboli, Launchpad, Mr. Walrus, Old Hag, Kermit, Miss Piggy, Boo, George Sanderson, Needleman, Smitty, Gypsy, Slim, Esmeralda, Megara, Shang, John Smith, Mowgli, Agent P, Lumiere, Cogsworth, and Chip (the tea cup, not the chimpmunk).

I've met a lot of characters. Some of my rarest are Stromboli, Launchpad, Mr. Walrus, Old Hag, Kermit, Miss Piggy, Boo, George Sanderson, Needleman, Smitty, Gypsy, Slim, Esmeralda, Megara, Shang, John Smith, Mowgli, Agent P, Lumiere, Cogsworth, and Chip (the teapot, not the chimpmunk).

How and where did you see Kermit and Miss Piggy? My 4 year old is obsessed with the Muppets and would love to see them.

This past January(2013) we met...Goofy and Max together, Aladdin's Genie, Baloo and Louie (together), Mr. penguin...several others at a surprise meet n' greet in Epcot. It was fun!!!!

Captain Hook and Smee are hard to find...we are there a lot and can't seem to find them. I know sometimes around adventure land, but no luck for us.

How and where did you see Kermit and Miss Piggy? My 4 year old is obsessed with the Muppets and would love to see them.

I met them in 2006 at Hollywood Studios. A CM arranged a meet and greet for my family with them after the parade.

For me it was the Old Hag. I must have looked like such a goof because when I saw her I got all excited and started saying, "It's her, it's her!" I came very close to having my MAN card revoked that day. ;)

She's by no means rare, but we had a devil of a time catching Tiana. Always seemed to be walking up right as they were shutting down the line. Just poor luck (or poor planning, you could say) on our part. Always so close, yet so far away...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter