Rate decrease after booking

FSU Girl

DIS Veteran
So for fun I've been keeping track of the rates on my upcoming cruise in January. I periodically check every couple weeks and have been updating an excel I created. I've only been tracking the first number you see, not the room prices once you click into seeing the actual ship. Most times the rates have been steadily going up. But I noticed the interior room actually went down in price since the last time I checked. It's still more than when I started, but it's cheaper than when I looked three weeks ago. I didn't book that type of room, but was wondering if the cabin I book did go down in cost before the paid in full date, would they adjust the price to the new price?

For anyone wondering it's the Fantasy January 5 sailing

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't think so. I could be wrong??

My understanding is that you can take advantage of the lower price by essentially cancelling and rebooking if you are before the PIF date. I haven't done it, so I don't know how it works logistically.

You could probably cancel and rebook, but before doing that, you could call DCL and see if they'll apply an adjustment. I know when they were offering a "Canadian discount" on a couple of May itineraries, there was a note that Canadians with existing reservations could call for a rebate. Maybe that was a one-off for the sale, but it's worth a try, should it happen.

That's interesting that most say you need to cancel and rebook, I know for a couple other cruiselines they'll just adjust your price to the lower one, you just have to let them know. I can't test out the theory here since my room hasn't changed in price, I was just surprised since it seemed like everything was going up.

As long as it's before PIF, I don't think you would need to cancel and rebook. But you would need to call to request the price adjustment; it isn't automatic.

You say you have only looked at "the first number you see, not room prices." Are you looking at broader categories (interior, oceanview, verandah)? I think before calling for an adjustment, you need to look specifically at your booked category. Of course, you could change categories if you prefer.

Was it a minimal adjustment (maybe $100) or more significant? If minimal, it could simply be an adjustment to port taxes, though that should be across the board for all categories.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

So for fun I've been keeping track of the rates on my upcoming cruise in January. I periodically check every couple weeks and have been updating an excel I created. I've only been tracking the first number you see, not the room prices once you click into seeing the actual ship. Most times the rates have been steadily going up. But I noticed the interior room actually went down in price since the last time I checked. It's still more than when I started, but it's cheaper than when I looked three weeks ago. I didn't book that type of room, but was wondering if the cabin I book did go down in cost before the paid in full date, would they adjust the price to the new price?

For anyone wondering it's the Fantasy January 5 sailing

The opening screen lists the lowest possible category available to book. So, for an interior that would be an 11C. If on the day you first started tracking, only 11Bs were available, then the price on that first page would be higher. Perhaps an 11C became available, making it appear as if the price dropped.

In all my cruises with DCL only one time has my cruise price gone down (it was the second sailing of the Dream). We had to call DCL but they just adjusted the price in our existing reservation. (Would have been a pain to cancel and rebook since it was part of b2b with Inaugural cruise and would not have wanted to risk losing our stateroom.)

What I think the OP is seeing is that a lower category room became available. So if you are just looking at "inside cabin starting at" price. If the only available cabin is a 10A, the price of a 10A is going to be the starting price for an inside cabin. If there is a cancellation or they open 11B guarantee, the "inside cabin starting at" price is going to drop because now it is going to be the price of an 11B not a 10A. But the price of the cruise is not dropping.

The opening screen lists the lowest possible category available to book. So, for an interior that would be an 11C. If on the day you first started tracking, only 11Bs were available, then the price on that first page would be higher. Perhaps an 11C became available, making it appear as if the price dropped.
Oh ok that would make sense. I thought it was weird that the prices had gone down, it didn't seem right lol. It been interesting a few things have gone from sold out to available since I started

I think you hit the nail on the head. I was ready to post this exact thing but you beat me to it. Very hard to track prices when you aren't looking at a specific category room but just a broad room type.

My cruise has gone down twice since i booked. I called Disney and they did have to cancel and rebook each time. I did keep the same room number/ main seating etc.
As other have said it needs to be the same room category and code.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter