• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

RCI Exchange Experience?

lat

DIS Veteran
DVC Gold
Hi, due to Covid, I now have points deposited into RCI. What are the resorts did you exchange into? How was your experience? Any advice? Thanks so much!!

I only used my points in RCI only once, so far, it was on Cape Cod. My family stayed in a 1 bedroom at nice resort in Yarmouth. It was nice, but not fancy. It was back in 2015. The points per night were very low. I don’t remember the exact amount.
It gave us a chance to check out Cape Cod. We tack on a few nights in Boston right before.
I would use my points again in RCI. It is just hard to get many places in the summer.
I would say most places are not up to WDW standards, so watch the point price. Good luck

That is exactly what I am looking for. From the pictures, the resorts on the Cape look pretty basic. Same with almost all the resorts in the New England area. The only ones that look nice are the ones in the Registry, but they require tons of points and only on a weekly basis...

We stayed Manhattan Club in New York, there is some serious bang for your buck. They called the room a studio, but if it weren't for the lack of a door, it would have been a full on one bedroom right in Times Square, seriously across the street diagonally was Carnegie Hall. Incidentally, the opposite direction had a pizza place where you could get two slices and a canned drink for $2.50 and New York slices are huge. A week for a little over 100 points at that location was amazing.

Another standout for us was a place (I forget the name of it) bear Silver Dollar City and the place was amazing. Just be warned, don't just request ground floor and expect to avoid stairs. Instead ask for an accessible path of entry, as some ground floor rooms are downstairs and the second story is where you can avoid stairs.

Just watch the cleaning fees, but overall we havent had a bad RCI experience yet.

My wife and I have only used our points for outside Disney once. We went to Las Vegas for a week back in 2012.
I had a convention for work and my wife came with me so we booked the Hilton Grand Vacation on Paradise location. We arrived a few days early so we could do some sight seeing.

We were in a studio.
Check in was seamless just like we were a member there.
Staff were very friendly and helpful.
Room was very nice and we had a great view.
It was a little off the main part of the strip but an easy cab ride to the main hotels we needed to go for the convention.

Booking it through member services was easy.
Using the RCI/DVC system was a little bit of a challenge mostly because I was not use to their system.
I found it easier to call member services and have them help me find a location/hotel I was interested in and check availability. I paid the transfer charge and they took care of everything.

I think this has been DVCs biggest issue as to why more members do not trade out of the Disney network more often, at least that is what I was told several years ago.

My wife and I have been avaraging two cruises a year, however because the cruise industry has been shut down we have been exploring using RCI to go to one of the Islands in the Caribbean .
I have talked to member services and they have been very helpful. It can get a little confusing as to how some of the all inclusive resorts work and fee that need to be paid.

I hope this was helpful.

In general the Hilton resorts are very very nice. I've stayed in a number of them (Sea World/Orlando, Kings Land and Kohala Suites on the Big Island, Lagoon Tower on Oahu) and have another coming up (Sunrise Lodge in Park City). I happen to think the units are generally a bit nicer than the typical DVC unit.

Some of the other systems (WorldMark, Wydnham, Bluegreen) are more variable from resort to resort, but some of the resorts in each of these systems are quite nice.

Finally, there are some resorts that are a little more dated/not as luxurious, but are in very interesting locations.

Ultimately what is "good" really depends on what you are looking for. It might even be the case that your exchange isn't the most "efficient" use of points, but it gives you a vacation you'd like to take with points you don't have some other use for. In that case, using them for something is better than letting them expire.

What are the resorts did you exchange into? How was your experience? Any advice? Thanks so much!!
I've done too many to list. In general, our experiences have been quite favorable. Things to consider as you do your research:
  • Does this resort charge fees to inbound exchange guests? Carefully read the Resort Description in RCI to determine your exposure to fees charged at check-in. These might include:
    • Resort fee (general in purpose)
    • Parking
    • Local taxes (TOT)
    • Energy costs (not typical in the US, but possibly seen abroad)
    • "All Inclusive" fee
    • Security Deposit
  • Is parking available? Urban settings might not offer on-site parking.
  • What kind of housekeeping is offered? (Generally none during your stay; each unit is cleaned between guests.)
  • Are Resort Reviews available? Check various travel sites and timeshare sites.
  • Are the units pictured typical? FWIW, I find that many unit photos shown on the RCI site are a resort location's highest unit type and are not representative of the unit you will be assigned at check-in. Do NOT expect your unit to look like the photos.
  • Are different unit configurations offered? Can you request either unit # or type before travel?
    For example, a property may offer different configurations of a 2BR unit where the 2nd bedroom has either a queen or two twin beds.
  • Is the unit part of a lock-out unit? (Do you mind having that interior door to the adjoining unit? Can you tell which half of the lock-out you are assigned?)
  • How does the unit handle privacy? That is, must the person sleeping in the living room cross through someone else's bedroom to reach a bathroom? If possible, do a careful examination of the unit layout/floor plan to determine if it will meet your traveling group's needs.
  • Does the unit offer a full kitchen? Watch for different notations for Full Kitchen, Mini- or Limited Kitchen, etc. Often, if booking a 1BR unit, you can determine which half of a lockout is offered by looking at the kitchen description. The larger side might have a full kitchen whereas the smaller side has a limited-kitchen.
  • Special needs / expectations: Stairs vs Elevator? Smoking unit? Pets? Air conditioning? etc. (Don't assume anything? Read the resort and unit descriptions carefully?)
  • Might exchange restrictions apply? Might this exchange be denied due to your home resort's proximity or your past exchange history?
These are the things that first come to mind.

Think positive and look for a really great opportunity. Good luck with your research and future travel.

EDITED to add links to older threads where I might have mentioned some of our exchanges or other timeshare stays?

Last edited:

Thank you so much for all the advice. Yes, I do find the RCI website not very user friendly, and I think I will definitely call MS to place an ongoing search if I find something I am interested. I am kind of interested in White Face Lodge by Lake Placid, but the point requirement is so high that I think I can almost do a cruise...

Thank you so much for all the advice. Yes, I do find the RCI website not very user friendly, and I think I will definitely call MS to place an ongoing search if I find something I am interested. I am kind of interested in White Face Lodge by Lake Placid, but the point requirement is so high that I think I can almost do a cruise...

I’ve stayed at several RCI resorts and prefer to stay in the Gold Crown or Silver Crown resorts. Gold Crown is the closest to a DVC resort, but still may not have all the amenities. For instance, washer/dryer and full kitchen are not included in all accommodations. Depending on the location, you may also be charged for AC and there are fees you still have to pay. Be sure you read the write up for each resort you are interested in on the DVC RCI website. I also read the TripAdvisor reviews for any property I’m interested in to decide if it meets my standards.

To get an idea of what is available, go to the resort directory and search the area where you want to stay. That will give you an idea of which properties tend to be available for a specific location. There are some properties that never come up. Make sure you have done your research in advance. When properties come up, they don’t last and you will lose the booking if you try to wait and call DVC to book it.

I was recently successful in getting two bookings from Ongoing Searches for Hawaii and Bali. I called DVC to have them set up the search after doing it myself didn’t net the properties I wanted( I had to turn down some properties and got tired of having to deny the same property). While you can do a general search, I searched for specific properties and told DVC not to do a regIonal search. Be very specific with the cast member you speak with about what you want the settings to be. Make sure you know what the minimum accommodation is that you will accept(studio, 1 bedroom, etc). DVC will tell you that they will automatically book a match when it becomes available, but they will call to confirm before they book if you ask them to do so. The good thing is that the ongoing searches are filled first before the inventory is released. However, I still check the website daily whenever I’m trying to get an RCI reservation. So far, I’ve gotten the exact properties I’ve wanted each time. Good luck.

I’ve haven’t used DVC points for this but I’ve used our RCI points at places in New England. My favorites are:
-Boston Park Plaza (absolutely amazing)
-Berkshire Mountain Lodge in Pittsfield, MA
-Attitash Mountain Village in Bartlett, NH
-Club Wyndham at Smugglers Notch in VT
-Club Wyndham Newport
-Grand Summit at Mt. Snow

I don't recommend that approach.
Sure, open an ongoing search ... but do your own searches daily. Stalk the inventory and be open to accepting something rather random.

The optimal RCI mindset: Let's cruise the available inventory. What is out there? Any unexpected gems? Can I make <this: whatever just popped up> work for me?

When you see something, put it on 24-hour hold and do your research on "making it work for you" while it is on hold.

FWIW, I find that many unit photos shown on the RCI site are a resort location's highest unit type and are not representative of the unit you will be assigned at check-in.
The opposite can happen too: older resorts might have very out-dated photos on the RCI site, while the resort itself has undergone a refurbishment or two. You can often tell because they are very small, low resolution, as if they were taken by a 15 year old camera (because they were). If you find something that looks out of date but is in a good location, it is often worth poking around the web to see if you can find more recent photos.

How does the unit handle privacy? That is, must the person sleeping in the living room cross through someone else's bedroom to reach a bathroom?
One tip: RCI lists both the "maximum" occupancy and the "privacy" occupancy. Privacy is defined as: how many sleeping spaces are there for couples where there is private access between the sleeping space and a bathroom. So, 1BRs with a bathroom with separate doors to the bedroom and the living room are listed as 4/4. If there is only one door to the bathroom (either in the bedroom or in the living room) they are listed as 4/2. The one that is a little tricky is a bathroom at the end of a hallway across from the entrance to the bedroom. Those are sometimes listed as 4/4, sometimes 4/2. But, even if they are listed as 4/4 it's not like you have to creep past someone who is sleeping to get there from either BR or LR.

The optimal RCI mindset: Let's cruise the available inventory. What is out there? Any unexpected gems? Can I make <this: whatever just popped up> work for me?
Exactly! This can be a big part of the fun of RCI. Some of our more memorable vacations have happened this way.

One tip: RCI lists both the "maximum" occupancy and the "privacy" occupancy. Privacy is defined as: how many sleeping spaces are there for couples where there is private access between the sleeping space and a bathroom.
Thank you for this explanation! I've always wondered how the 2 people sleeping on the fold-out couch in the living room were considered to be sleeping in "privacy" - now I know!

I have used my DVC points to exchange into RCI for Aruba. We stay in a 1 bedroom timeshare unit that has a full kitchen and 2 large bathrooms for 150 points. Well worth it IMO! We have done so twice now. Availability for a full consecutive week is a bit of a game on the RCI site, but if you play around and are flexible with dates booking about 9 mos. out, it is possible!

We exchanged some leftover points with RCI to stay at a ski resort on our Anniversary in Stowe, Vermont. It’s the same town we had our honeymoon. April, so off season and very much a ghost town. The resort was Smuggler’s Notch and it was fine, New England style and kind of old fashioned. The room could have used a little updating.

It served our needs of using leftover points without making a trek to Disney. The next time we found ourselves in that circumstance of using a few points on our Anniversary, we added some OTU points and opted for an AKV studio.

We've swapped out for Smuggler's Notch in Vermont and The Grandview in Las Vegas. Smuggler's Notch could have used some updating but it met our needs for exploring the area and was clean. Same with the Grandview - we swapped out for here to attend an event in Las Vegas. It's a few miles off the Vegas strip but it was convenient to our event location and also clean but dated.

I have used my DVC points to exchange into RCI for Aruba. We stay in a 1 bedroom timeshare unit that has a full kitchen and 2 large bathrooms for 150 points. Well worth it IMO! We have done so twice now. Availability for a full consecutive week is a bit of a game on the RCI site, but if you play around and are flexible with dates booking about 9 mos. out, it is possible!
Would you mind sharing the name of the resort in Aruba? Thanks!

We used RCI to stay at Fitzpatrick Castle in Ireland on DVC points a few years ago (2017), it was great. Very easy to exchange etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter