RCI for DVC Villas?

JadeDarkstar

Dis Veteran Pirate dragon mom
My Mother in law bought RCI and came home telling me it worked for Disney too. I was like OMG? So I have now been researching things. I am confused how it works and if it will really work for my upcoming trip (they may now be coming too lol) I have been planning so much with what I have booked now but.. if this did work for us we could stay much closer and in a villa. So my questions here is.
1. Can this work?
2. Anyonee else heard of rci for dvc?
3. Can I get tickets and dining plan even if using timeshare to stay on dvc?
4. Will Emh still work?

Yes, it's possible to trade into DVC through RCI.
In-bound RCI exchanges can add a dining plan.
Park admission can be purchased from any authorized ticket seller.
DVC resort stays are eligible for EMH.

It would depend on where your mother owns a timeshare and whether that timeshare has enough trade power to get into Disney. RCI is an exchange company on where you can exchange a timeshare to another timeshare. Recently it has been very difficult to get a Disney Vacation Club unit through RCI. I would recommend in going to tugbbs.com and take a look on how to exchange her timeshare to get a Disney stay.

thanks for answering so quickly. ya she has to check a few things and im not gona bother her bout it for a week they were gone for a week she just got this there, lol but thanks it opens up so many possibilities.

My Mother in law bought RCI and came home telling me it worked for Disney too. I was like OMG? So I have now been researching things. I am confused how it works and if it will really work for my upcoming trip (they may now be coming too lol) I have been planning so much with what I have booked now but.. if this did work for us we could stay much closer and in a villa. So my questions here is.
1. Can this work?
2. Anyonee else heard of rci for dvc?
3. Can I get tickets and dining plan even if using timeshare to stay on dvc?
4. Will Emh still work?

1. Yes you can book DVC through RCI. There are one restriction though, the timeshare you own must be more than 20 miles from Orlando.
2. Yes I have done DVC through RCI too
3. Yes you can, but no discounts.
4. Yes emh is for everyone staying onsite.

Remember you pay a "because-we-can-fee" to Disney at checkin. The fee is 195$

good to know about the fee, I bet mom in law had that written down but I would be the one paying but we did math if this worked id save like 700 just from not doing the hotel I have now. However, I am in no way canceling anything until she knows it will work. I have a good deal now and even if her thing doesn't work out I will just keep what I have planned going. Also, anyone know if Disney express from airport would still work too? I think so but my DH said just ask. Just in case. (because that adds into why we were staying onsite (pop) lol
Thank you all for the quick comments.

Most of the DVC villas that are deposited into RCI are Saratoga Springs 1 bedroom, very different from a hotel.

Years ago (7 i think) we looked into buying into dvc. Saratoga springs was the one we almost got. I always hated that we couldn't do it but I know it was the right choice at that time. So if a dvc member deposits points from Saratoga Springs, is that the only Villa RCI lets you use? I saw the Epcot and animal kingdom areas were in the book she had.

Yes, you will still be able to use Magical Express from the airport to the resort. The issue might be that you already have specific dates set and an RCI exchange may not be available for that date. Also, it will depend on the "strength" of the timeshare being deposited to RCI. As stated above, many of the deposits to RCI have been Saratoga Springs but Old Key West and Animal Kingdom Villas appear with some regularity as well.

My dates are flexible if it was to be within like a 4 week period I could make it work with little trouble. I did tell MIL when I was going and it was for my bday too but come on if I can stay in a villa instead of pop and just miss being there ON my birthday so what ill just celebrate late or early lol. I have at DLR many times. So when she talks to the people ill make sure she know the flexible dates.

The book she has will list everything, but it is very rare for anything other than Saratoga to be deposited.

I wouldn't get too far ahead of yourself. A new owner, a new search, unknown trading power... the odds of getting something this year are pretty weak.

My dates are flexible if it was to be within like a 4 week period I could make it work with little trouble. I did tell MIL when I was going and it was for my bday too but come on if I can stay in a villa instead of pop and just miss being there ON my birthday so what ill just celebrate late or early lol. I have at DLR many times. So when she talks to the people ill make sure she know the flexible dates.
Do you know what resort, time and unit size she has? Also, if she's still within her cancelation period, she should likely do so until she better understands the product.

the ppl were telling her she could get a 2 bedroom for a week and they got it for other things that she wanted, She just happened to mention about wdw and the ppl were going on and on about how they were at the animal villa and his granddaughter fed the giraffes and another talked about staying in the epcot center. the book names about 6 villas and two resorts.

Do you know what resort, time and unit size she has? Also, if she's still within her cancelation period, she should likely do so until she better understands the product.

I would agree with this. Most timeshares do not hold their value (DVC would be an exception) and can be bought resale sometimes for free. But when it comes to timeshares, I have found that it can be very hard to convince someone they have made a mistake...believe me I've tried.

the ppl were telling her she could get a 2 bedroom for a week and they got it for other things that she wanted, She just happened to mention about wdw and the ppl were going on and on about how they were at the animal villa and his granddaughter fed the giraffes and another talked about staying in the epcot center. the book names about 6 villas and two resorts.

Just because a resort is in the RCI book does not mean it is a likely exchange. Some time ago (2-3 years ago maybe?), a 2 bedroom at WDW was a possibility. But then DVC deposit patterns into RCI changed and no 2 bedrooms have been reported since then (on the tugbbs.com Sightings forum - membership required). Now it is mostly Sarasota Springs, sometimes Old Key West or Animal Kingdom. She will need to set up an ongoing search in RCI. Occasionally, there are units just sitting online, but it's rare and they don't last long.

Two thoughts:

First, when and where did your MIL buy? If she is still within her rescission period, she should rescind and do some due diligence to make sure this is right for her. If she decides it is, I'm sure the people who sold it to her would re-write the same contract. But, better to be informed than surprised down the road.

Second: Using RCI is not nearly as easy as it sounds, and certainly not as easy as the sales person made it seem. You don't just get on the site and book something like it was a hotel. Instead, think of it like a big barter system. You deposit some vacation time into the system, and you get some credits back. Those credits are sometimes called "trade power units" or TPUs. Then, when other people deposit their vacation time, you can spend your credits to book it. But, (a) you can't book something until someone else deposits it and (b) things in high-demand cost more credits than most people are given for their time.

As to point (a): DVC deposits much less than they used to. As noted, almost all of the deposited weeks are 1BR SSR units. You should consider 2BR units impossible for the moment, and you should also consider any of the "near-park" resorts (BCV, BWV, BLT, GFV, PVB, and maybe VWL) so unlikely as to be impossible. You will also have to have nerves of steel if you are a planner, because DVC tends to deposit quite close to check-in date, somewhere between 1.5 months and 4.5 months prior, maybe a little more. So, well after your 180-day mark, and possibly after your 60-day mark. My most recent exchange was confirmed only 73 days before check-in, just barely enough time to get my Disney Resort reservation number for 60-day FP+ reservations. Finally, there are times of the year when exchanges are very hard to get---mid October, early December, a few others. That most recent exchange started during the Princess race weekend, and I had a backup planned, just in case, because I was not sure I'd get it.

As to point (b): depending on what your MIL bought, she may or may not have sufficient TPU to book a Disney deposit. Most people have to combine two (or more) of their own weeks to get one of Disney's. However, this can really vary depending on what she bought, and the folks at TUG (tugbbs.com) can help you there.

When you trade through RCI there is also a $219 trade fee and Disney charges an inbound fee of $190 at the front desk.

"the ppl were telling her she could get a 2 bedroom for a week and they got it for other things that she wanted, She just happened to mention about wdw and the ppl were going on and on about how they were at the animal villa and his granddaughter fed the giraffes and another talked about staying in the epcot center. the book names about 6 villas and two resorts."

I didn't know you could feed the giraffes.
Also if she bought RCI in Florida can she use it at WDW

She's been lied to on this and likely in almost every other issue as well, I predict this won't end well.

She had been doing research on time shares for a while. She is one of those ppl who look into things very carefully. She is the only reason I have gotten better in the housewife kind of things and ways. She's taught me a lot. I know she didn't just jump into this. They bought into one in Las Vegas. She just retired and has an Idea what she wants to do so she decided that this one met all her goals. It just happened she spoke of wdw because she knows our plans. She did tell me a lot of things had to go right to use it this time. She may or may not be able to make it work for our trip. I did come here because I was unsure it even worked. I appreciate all the advice and if it were my money buying it I'd had bought dvc but they aren't Disney fanatics like me so she chose the one that worked the best for her family. She also put our names and another family member on it too so we can use it. if not for this trip maybe the 2019 bday Disney land park for my dh, and stay at the Grand. I was doing math of tickets and my hotel vs the fees and stuff and because of the awesome deal I did get it may not be worth the stress to push hard. I will wait and see what comes of it but now just planning pop. I will not tell her to cancel because of the other reasons she got this. It wasn't meant for Disney but if you plan right it can be used. will that work this dec more than likely not.

She had been doing research on time shares for a while. She is one of those ppl who look into things very carefully. She is the only reason I have gotten better in the housewife kind of things and ways. She's taught me a lot. I know she didn't just jump into this. They bought into one in Las Vegas. She just retired and has an Idea what she wants to do so she decided that this one met all her goals. It just happened she spoke of wdw because she knows our plans. She did tell me a lot of things had to go right to use it this time. She may or may not be able to make it work for our trip. I did come here because I was unsure it even worked. I appreciate all the advice and if it were my money buying it I'd had bought dvc but they aren't Disney fanatics like me so she chose the one that worked the best for her family. She also put our names and another family member on it too so we can use it. if not for this trip maybe the 2019 bday Disney land park for my dh, and stay at the Grand. I was doing math of tickets and my hotel vs the fees and stuff and because of the awesome deal I did get it may not be worth the stress to push hard. I will wait and see what comes of it but now just planning pop. I will not tell her to cancel because of the other reasons she got this. It wasn't meant for Disney but if you plan right it can be used. will that work this dec more than likely not.
Still if it was retail it's likely they did not do enough research to make a good decision. Hopefully it works out but if she believed them on the Disney lies, there will likely be other issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter