RCL and Wimps

NickyKnack

DIS Veteran
How does RCL stack up to DCL for those of us who are not athletically inclined? So much that I hear from those who choose RCL over DCL talks about things like Rock Climbing and Ice Skating which I like to personally refer to as my broken arm and back. ;)

We do really love shows, are major foodies (Which doesn't mean that we need an abundance of food, just quality. It also doesn't mean every option needs to be "shi shi" we like all kinds of food, so long as it's quality.), oh and we adore adult education type classes. Ranging from (To use Disney as an example) Wine tastings to Towel Animals.

ETA: If it matters, it's a party of 2 with no kids.

I also am not the athletic type, and found myself enjoying watching others do those activities. I have found RCCL to offer very comparable classes to Disney, just in a different setting. The food options are plentiful, and I highly suggest eating in the restaurants that do charge a fee. I was on the Freedom and the those really blew me away. I would rate them closely to Palo. I found plenty to do onboard without having to exert my not so athletic self! I also do not gamble and found watching others play the card games a little interesting, if not amusing! I enjoyed the differences that RCCL offered. The shows were very well put together, they even had a Fairytale type show that was very well done. Royal Caribbean had a variety of acts to see each evening, and the ice skating rink does perform a show a few evenings that was very professional as well. I recently sailed on the Freedom of the Seas and found myself pleasantly surprised by the RCCL product!

How does RCL stack up to DCL for those of us who are not athletically inclined? So much that I hear from those who choose RCL over DCL talks about things like Rock Climbing and Ice Skating which I like to personally refer to as my broken arm and back. ;)

We do really love shows, are major foodies (Which doesn't mean that we need an abundance of food, just quality. It also doesn't mean every option needs to be "shi shi" we like all kinds of food, so long as it's quality.), oh and we adore adult education type classes. Ranging from (To use Disney as an example) Wine tastings to Towel Animals.

ETA: If it matters, it's a party of 2 with no kids.

DH and I are in our early 40s with no kids. We're not athletically inclined at all - we've never done the rock climbing wall, the flow rider (surfing simulator), ice skating, or the zip line. That said, Royal is our favorite cruise line (with Disney a close second - we've been on the Magic and Dream).

We've only been on newer Royal ships (Liberty of the Seas and Oasis of the Seas), and found they had tons to do, even if you don't take part in the more active stuff. They have wine tastings and towel animal classes, and there is a great show in the ice skating rink. The newer ships also have great entertainment, including broadway-style shows, a cirque-du-soleil-type show, and water/diving shows on Oasis and Allure.

I found the food on Liberty and Oasis to be better in the main dining room than on the Dream, but Palo on the Dream and Magic was better than the two specialty restaurants we did on Liberty (Chops and Portofino - Portofino was close to Palo in quality/atmosphere, Chops was just eh).

If you like good food and entertainment, I think you'd probably find plenty to do on a Royal ship. I'd try the newer classes (Oasis class, Freedom class, maybe the next class down - I can't remember the name of the class, but it includes Explorer of the Seas).

We're going on Allure of the Seas (Oasis' sister ship) in a couple of weeks and I'm thinking of trying the zip line. Wish me luck! :scared:

How does RCL stack up to DCL for those of us who are not athletically inclined? So much that I hear from those who choose RCL over DCL talks about things like Rock Climbing and Ice Skating which I like to personally refer to as my broken arm and back. ;) We do really love shows, are major foodies (Which doesn't mean that we need an abundance of food, just quality. It also doesn't mean every option needs to be "shi shi" we like all kinds of food, so long as it's quality.), oh and we adore adult education type classes. Ranging from (To use Disney as an example) Wine tastings to Towel Animals. ETA: If it matters, it's a party of 2 with no kids.

We have been on 2 DCL cruises, with a 3rd booked this year. We are Diamond (10+ cruises) on RCCL. We really enjoy both. DCL is a bit nicer, but it also costs more. Generally, we have been quite happy with entertainment, food, activities ( including wine tastings and towel folding ) on RCCL- as well as DCL. We like the bigger ships (Oasis,Allure, DCL Dream) better than the smaller on both lines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter