? re: Kindle books

la79al

DIS Veteran
I am thinking about asking for a Kindle for Christmas. I keep thinking that the reason that I don't read more now is because I am horrible at returning books to the library. As a result, I usually either owe the library a large amount of money or I just don't get books because I know I'll be late returning them. Are there a lot of decent free books for Kindles? Also, are there a lot of free childrens books? Does anyone know how getting Kindle books through your public library works?

I don't know about Kindles, but my library has a system that sends out emails reminding you when your books are due, lets you renew online, etc. It really helps avoid any fees at all. Maybe you can see if yours has something like that.

There are tons of free books available, you can "like" pixel of ink on facebook and they will post free or cheap books, there is also a page for childrens books. As far as library books, they are very easy to rent and they return themselves at the end of the time period (2 weeks).

I've not checked any out through a library, but there are tons of free and cheap books for all ages. I love it! In fact, in the last year, I've gotten one, both of my daughters, my brother, and my dad as well as a few friends.

When I rent from the library, I can choose between 7 and 21 days for the rental. At the end of that, it just doesn't work. Next time I connect to the wifi or 3g, they leave my Kindle. The first time, I went through some process to "return" the books (can't remember exactly how I did it) but the second time I didn't, and it made no difference.

BUT not every book is available in electronic format, and since Kindle lending is so new, the number of books available for Kindle is even lower. Through my library, at least.

I really think Kindle is a great Christmas gift. Don't worry there are many free books and also you can buy some at good prices, but I myself can't focus while reading on a Kindle. I like to read the book the traditional way! :goodvibes

I borrow Kindle books from my library and I've discovered that the lending period varies by library. My library only allows a 2 week (14 day) borrow on their Kindle books.

My library also emails me 3 days prior to when real books or eBooks are due. I usually keep my Kindle's WiFi turned off unless I'm about to download something and this saves battery life. I've found that I can actually go 'return' my Kindle library books on the Amazon website but they stay on my Kindle until I turn the WiFi back on and there is no issue with this (no late fees/fines). It just disappears when I turn my WiFi back on.

To borrow library books, you go on your library's website and when you find a book you want,you just select it to checkout. When you go through the checkout process it takes you to the Amazon website and you log in and choose which device you want the eBook sent to (Kindle, iPhone app, etc). Once you turn on your Kindle's wireless connection it will automatically download. Easy-peasy!

As fyi.. this week Penguin Books halted all lending of their titles by libraries and there was a huge stink about it online and they restored it the next day or two but it's only temporary until they resolve their security issue they were having a fit about. You can google to find out more about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter