• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

READ POST 1 & 2 FIRST-Rise of the Resistance Boarding Group Planning and Information-*No Spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did I miss something? Today they gave out comp tix to DHS, whereas other days they gave out recovery FPs. I agree that recovery compensation should be reduced (probably initially by lowering the number of "guaranteed" BGs and eventually making all BGs the equivalent of Backups. But TODAY, from what I can tell included people being stuck in the queue for over 2 hours. In the past, had they not evacuated the queue and gave return FPs so ride that ride that they just got booted from? For some reason, this was NOT done today. People may expect to ride with a decent BG number, but the BGs are specifically designed to keep traffic flow moving and avoid long queue lines. Everyone knows this. Unlike other rides, they can't just leave the queue to do other things/plans and come back later in the day , unless given a return recovery FP, at least while BG scenario is in place.

So, my question is: why did they operate this shutdown different today than other days, where they empty the queue and invite them back when it returns to functionality. Perhaps it was a decision to test guest tolerance for when this ride inevitably goes to standby in the future(?)

In today's case, plans were irrevocably altered, so this type of compensation is at least appropriate. I don't know how it was exactly done, but the appropriate solution (in my opinion) would be to issue the comp ticket w specific RotR FP for those who tapped in with BG number and were stuck in the queue. The other non-called BG can get a FP since theirs was "guaranteed".

I agree that comps need to be reduced in the future. But they haven't been giving away free Tix just for a BG not being called or a ride shutting down, right? This is just for the lengthy problems PLUS people stuck in the queue for over 2 hours, right?

Did I miss something? Today they gave out comp tix to DHS, whereas other days they gave out recovery FPs. I agree that recovery compensation should be reduced (probably initially by lowering the number of "guaranteed" BGs and eventually making all BGs the equivalent of Backups. But TODAY, from what I can tell included people being stuck in the queue for over 2 hours. In the past, had they not evacuated the queue and gave return FPs so ride that ride that they just got booted from? For some reason, this was NOT done today. People may expect to ride with a decent BG number, but the BGs are specifically designed to keep traffic flow moving and avoid long queue lines. Everyone knows this. Unlike other rides, they can't just leave the queue to do other things/plans and come back later in the day , unless given a return recovery FP, at least while BG scenario is in place.

So, my question is: why did they operate this shutdown different today than other days, where they empty the queue and invite them back when it returns to functionality. Perhaps it was a decision to test guest tolerance for when this ride inevitably goes to standby in the future(?)

In today's case, plans were irrevocably altered, so this type of compensation is at least appropriate. I don't know how it was exactly done, but the appropriate solution (in my opinion) would be to issue the comp ticket w specific RotR FP for those who tapped in with BG number and were stuck in the queue. The other non-called BG can get a FP since theirs was "guaranteed".

I agree that comps need to be reduced in the future. But they haven't been giving away free Tix just for a BG not being called or a ride shutting down, right? This is just for the lengthy problems PLUS people stuck in the queue for over 2 hours, right?
They give out both. If you are in a guaranteed group that didn't get called they have been giving out tix and a FP.

I think you vastly underestimate how much Disney probably wants Virtual Queues and Boarding Groups to be a massive success. If they are, look for them to be rolled out to every possible attraction where they can be employed.

Standby lines or queues in general take up massive amounts of park real estate and are the biggest reason for the negative perception of theme parks as vacation destinations.

Again, think of this from the word of mouth perspective:

“How was your trip?”

A) “ It was great— Disney is doing virtual queues for their rides now, so we had to get up really early to get in the virtual queue but the new Rise of the Resistance was so worth it. Even when the ride broke down, Chewie came around and gave us free chips and water... and then they let us come back for free to try again the next day with NO wait even though they didn’t have to.”

Or B) “Oh my god it sucked. We had to get up at the crack of dawn to take a bus and wait in line at the gates. We FINALLY got a boarding pass but had to wait 7 hours to be called. Then their stupid ride that wasn’t even working right broke. Someone else in line told me it’s been breaking everyday. What are we supposed to do? Pay again to come back? We already wasted one day. We’re not going to waste another ever again. This is why we stopped going to Disney in the first place.”

It’s not just the nuance of the backup group versus regular group. With one, there’s an expectation you’ll get to ride. With the other, your expectation is set appropriately. But that doesn’t matter to the guest experience.

Option A more than compensates, it keeps the conversation on the cool attraction vs. option B doesn’t allow the conversation to get past the wait and inconvenience (or even help the guest get on the ride after the inconvenience).

But building off that, if Disney intends to roll out BG to more than just ROTR (and I agree with you that they do), it’s going to be expected that if your BG doesn’t get called you get a free ticket and fastpass.

I would be shocked if Disney wants that kind of widespread auto-compensation going on. I think banking on the success of the virtual queue makes it even more likely the auto compensation is rolled back sooner than later. Especially if ROTR remains temperamental. What a crap day for it.

Today was definitely the worst day since it opened of through put.

It feels like it’s been getting worse.

I don’t know why, since the chaaaaaart doesn’t really back that up. Have we had a lot more late starts making the downtime more talked about here?

Agreed completely. Basically the only reason we are visiting Disney at the end of this month is for Galaxys Edge. If it weren’t for that, wouldn’t be back for several years. We are only doing Hollywood studios and then decided on AK after hours event after the fact, so we will be severely disappointed if we don’t ride!!
I am doing exactly the same, DHS for RotR and then DAK after hours last week of January. I really hope for all of the MLK weekend visitors that tomorrow they push through a ‘chart-busting’ number of BGs so all recovery and at least some new BGs get to ride. 🤞 :)

So the way things panned out today, we didn't ever feel like we were owed something of monetary value. Nor were we expecting comp tickets. We would actually have rather had anytime fast passes for today for Slinky Dog and Rock N Roller Coaster than comp tickets or fast passes for a future date. We have to fly from NY to get down there, so by the time we would spend money on new flights, new hotels, etc. we aren't really saving anything in the end. We end up spending even more money and still have a chance at not getting the ride. We never asked for comp tickets or fastpasses for tomorrow, while we are grateful they offered it, we could have saved them time and money by just asking for fast passes for today and being done with it. It's one thing if you have a low boarding group or a high boarding group, but a midday is a different story. Early boarders can hang around and be done for the day, late boarders can go do whatever they want until the later hours of the park, the mid boarding groups are kind of stuck because there is no way of knowing when you will be called. Also, because ROTR was down most of the day, it pushed all the crowds to the rest of the park because people didn't want to leave just in case, which meant the lines were long everywhere. Fastpasses were gone for every ride but Ariel's. So the whole day was rough for everyone except the lucky few that did get to ride. In the end, we would prefer that they give a choice, I don't think a comp ticket is necessary or required, however, the option to upgrade to a park hopper for the day, fast passes to rides that don't have any available (and haven't since being able to be booked), or anytime fast passes for a future date. Having these options would be much better than a comp ticket at least in our situation where we only had one day to be at the parks.

So if they move to a BG type set up for other rides that would mean needing to do rope drop and NO need to park hop.

They give out both. If you are in a guaranteed group that didn't get called they have been giving out tix and a FP.
Yeah, that's an issue. Guaranteed BG not being called doesn't require a free ticket. They can get an any ride FP or a RotR FP. CMs or the app can say that of there is a problem with the comp, then they can see GR. Most people would be able to use that for their choice. Those people who are leaving, or only one day at DHS, etc, they can see GR who would already be prepared to issue the comp ticket based on the unique reason code (I just assume that they can have something like medical diagnosis codes associated with any type of comp or complaint that GR would recognize that guests would not know - and have it attached to the comp incident) given to the compensation. If you're already going back to DHS later in your trip or as an AP, you have your RotR guaranteed via the comp. If you cannot, take it to GR, they see the comp with a certain code, they can grant you the comp ticket that you would need in order to ride this comp ride.

Just seems that the comp for non-called guaranteed BG should be another guaranteed ride. Getting a comp DHS ticket should only be reserved for those stuck in absurdly long queue contrary to normal RotR queue times during BG era, and/or for those who otherwise have no means of accessing DHS to use their guaranteed RotR FP.

Yeah, that's an issue. Guaranteed BG not being called doesn't require a free ticket. They can get an any ride FP or a RotR FP. CMs or the app can say that of there is a problem with the comp, then they can see GR. Most people would be able to use that for their choice. Those people who are leaving, or only one day at DHS, etc, they can see GR who would already be prepared to issue the comp ticket based on the unique reason code (I just assume that they can have something like medical diagnosis codes associated with any type of comp or complaint that GR would recognize that guests would not know - and have it attached to the comp incident) given to the compensation. If you're already going back to DHS later in your trip or as an AP, you have your RotR guaranteed via the comp. If you cannot, take it to GR, they see the comp with a certain code, they can grant you the comp ticket that you would need in order to ride this comp ride.

Just seems that the comp for non-called guaranteed BG should be another guaranteed ride. Getting a comp DHS ticket should only be reserved for those stuck in absurdly long queue contrary to normal RotR queue times during BG era, and/or for those who otherwise have no means of accessing DHS to use their guaranteed RotR FP.
They are giving out the tix since they don't know who of those people have tix to be able to come back and ride.

But building off that, if Disney intends to roll out BG to more than just ROTR (and I agree with you that they do), it’s going to be expected that if your BG doesn’t get called you get a free ticket and fastpass.

I would be shocked if Disney wants that kind of widespread auto-compensation going on. I think banking on the success of the virtual queue makes it even more likely the auto compensation is rolled back sooner than later. Especially if ROTR remains temperamental. What a crap day for it.

A few things at play here make me disagree with you about discontinuing auto compensation...

First, few if any people probably complain when the teacups break down. The teacups represent a massively smaller part of a guest’s expectations and time investment for a successful vacation. When talking about RotR downtime... you’re talking about huge amounts of people’s critical success factor(s) for a visit. If someone cared enough to complain at GR for a teacup breakdown after they waited in line (virtual or physical standby line) the smart move is still to compensate them based on their needs. Almost always.

Second, the ability to auto-compensate everyone impacted instantly is a dream for recovery outcomes, and I think you’ll see more of it than less. There are some business case studies that have shown something like only 3 out of 10 customers will mention if it they've had a difficult experience. That’s 7 out of 10 that just won’t come back rather than make any fuss at all. (Crazy right?)

A change I would like to see would be recovery FP good for a week (or an extended amount of time) rather than just next day. I figure this would do more good for a greater number of people than having to fit it in the next day plus a comp ticket that many don’t need.

I figure anyone who qualifies for a recovery FP has already dedicated enough time and headspace to ROTR, and it would be nice if there was less of a chance of it impacting other plans on other days.

I am doing exactly the same, DHS for RotR and then DAK after hours last week of January. I really hope for all of the MLK weekend visitors that tomorrow they push through a ‘chart-busting’ number of BGs so all recovery and at least some new BGs get to ride. 🤞 :)
When is your DHS day? We’ll be there the 29th and then 30th at DAK AH. Maybe we’ll bump into each other ;) I hope it’s working much better by our visit! I know a bunch of us on here are visiting the last week of January. Wondering if they will extend hours for the last week due to these issues... longer hours means better changes to secure a BG and ride!

So if they move to a BG type set up for other rides that would mean needing to do rope drop and NO need to park hop.
BGs are like a modified version of DL's Maxpass. I love that system. But BGs are not absolutely necessary for any other rides, though they would be welcomed... again like without the guarantee (all backup-style). I would say that FoP in AK would greatly benefit from a BG system. People can still choose to RD or show up at PO for a BG and then enjoy the rest of the park. Themed queue lines are great to keep waiting people entertained but BG would lower that line and let them explore the more hidden or forgotten things that many people overlook.

I suppose I've gone beyond topic a bit, and for that I apologize.

I’ll be honest, I’m surprised at the amount of guest recovery talk for something that, generally speaking, hasn’t been needed all that much. (Hope I didn’t just jinx things)
Is this that whole focus on the negative thing? Lol! In my mind, the ride has performed fairly well on most days. Hopefully tomorrow gets us back on track and we can all think happy thoughts again :D

Last edited:

Why would you rope drop for something other than a headliner attraction right now?

Boarding Groups and Virtual Queues don’t increase waits... they just cap demand by ensuring no one has an advantage by arriving SUPER early, and ensuring the ride doesn’t run too far past closing time.

I don’t think they’d get rid of FP+ even with a property wide virtual queue rollout. It’s a valuable tool for planning, whereas virtual queues allow for that flexibility people who hate Fastpass crave.

They are giving out the tix since they don't know who of those people have tix to be able to come back and ride.
A change I would like to see would be recovery FP good for a week (or an extended amount of time) rather than just next day. I figure this would do more good for a greater number of people than having to fit it in the next day plus a comp ticket that many don’t need.

I figure anyone who qualifies for a recovery FP has already dedicated enough time and headspace to ROTR, and it would be nice if there was less of a chance of it impacting other plans on other days.

They *could* autocomp with a RotR-inclusive anyride FP with a note that says to see GR if this is not helpful. GR could then see if the comp is a Code 1 or Code 2 comp (I just invented those terms right now). If a code 1 comp, then the comp was given to allow a free park ticket if needed. If code 2 comp, then the issue really doesn't warrant anything requiring a comp ticket. Current issues w RotR would be Code 1 comps. Other issues, not really - other delays, probs, etc. - would be Code 2.

Again, the Code 1 would allow for GR to give a free ticket if needed in order to experience the FP. Most people would just be fine with using the FP (they would not know what code 1 or Code 2 means, but if they aren't coming back, the note to see GR for any problems would allow for THOSE people to think to see GR, whereas the majority of everyone else would see their FP and use it accordingly some other time. If it doesn't work for you, go see GR and they make it work for you. The code would tell GR what the potential "upgrades" could be (upgrade 1-day Tix to hopper for a day or two, issue a comp ticket, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter