READ POST 1 & 2 FIRST-Rise of the Resistance Boarding Group Planning and Information-*No Spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Watch for a possible extension of hours to 8am - it feels likely but who knows!
- Being at the park an hour early sounds like a good plan.
- Being a party of 15 shouldn't pose an issue - especially if you can hit "select all" when you go to join your BG. Ideally with a group that size I'd have multiple trying to secure a BG for your party. Whoever is fastest wins...and thus you all win!

I will definitely watch out for the opening hour changes. We're coming in the day before and had planned on an 8am opening until they just changed the hours a few days ago to 9am so it's all good whatever time it is. Fortunately, it's not 7am like it was early on. I'll be making the BG for us since they're all in my MDE account, but I'll be prepared to move quickly with it!

I reported on Thursday about my nearly as smooth as possible experience with ROTR: BG 23, called just after 7:30, tap into attraction at 7:45 and off by about 8:15. Virtual walk on to first preshow element and only one place in between segments that was probably slightly longer than ideal, but not in a way that affected the experience (describing that in more detail would require a spoiler).

Our experience on Saturday was an example of how you have to be flexible and maybe have alternate plans if getting on ROTR is a high priority for you. When we made our original plans for this trip for Marathon Weekend, we obviously didn’t know what the procedure would be for riding ROTR, though we knew we would want to try to get on it if possible. Our original plan for Saturday was to go for AM EMH at DAK partly because travel there is not affected by the half marathon. We got FPs at DAK, including one for FOP at 12:30, which I think was the earliest I could get. Our daughter,who was running the half, planned to meet us there after she cleaned up, mainly to ride FOP. We then planned to go to Epcot later in the day.

Once we knew about the ROTR VQ procedure our daughter who wasn’t there on Thursday wanted to take a shot at it. We were hoping for an early BG which would allow us to ride ROTR and then go to DAK or, failing that, a later BG that wouldn’t be called until early afternoon so we could return briefly to DHS after using our FOP FP. But, the ROTR gods had different ideas, and we got BG 59, which we knew would be called between about 11 and 12 if there were no significant delays. So, after riding TOT and RNRC (single rider) we headed over to DAK and watched the BG calls as we did attractions there. It was apparent early that BGs were humming along, and when they reached 53 by about 10:30, we decided that we would head back to DHS because our group was almost certainly going to be called too early for us wait until after using our FOP FP. As we were leaving DAK we could see that the calling of new BGs had stopped, apparently indicating that the ride was down. But, we continued on and, about the time we boarded the bus to DHS they started calling new numbers again. I’m getting a little fuzzy on the exact time, but BG 59 was called just as we were entering the park about 11:30. We tapped in to the ride not long after that, but the line was was almost out to the entrance, so we knew we would take awhile to reach the first preshow. The CM at the entrance said it would be about 45 minutes.

After winding steadily through the queue for about 30 minutes, the line ground to a halt and after that an announcement came that there would be a delay of 20-30 minutes, maybe longer. I wish I had known at that point that we were one turn away from the final room before the preshow door because it might have been less discouraging, but after 30 minutes we were on our way and we entered the preshow area about 5 minutes later. As far as I could tell from my one previous experience, we saw the whole thing, and went through smoothly from there. But we obviously were not able to use our FOP FP.

One little postscript on this. After going to Epcot for a few hours, one of my daughters said she wanted to see the HEA fireworks show at MK. We really didn’t think about it until we were on our way, but without planning to do it we had our first experience of visiting each of the 4 parks in one day and doing at least one major attraction in each (if you count HEA as a major attraction).

All in all it was a successful day, but it is more fun not having to get up at 5 AM to try to get in one of the initial boarding groups and then having to pay attention to BG numbers for several hours after that. I think the attraction is amazing, but I wouldn’t be subjecting myself to that process twice in one trip except that I was willing to accompany my daughter who was doing it for the first time.

Last edited:
I will definitely watch out for the opening hour changes. We're coming in the day before and had planned on an 8am opening until they just changed the hours a few days ago to 9am so it's all good whatever time it is. Fortunately, it's not 7am like it was early on. I'll be making the BG for us since they're all in my MDE account, but I'll be prepared to move quickly with it!

I would give everyone in my party who has a smart phone my MDE log-in info (even if I make a new one just for this day and change it afterwards) and tell them to download the app. Everyone with a smart phone can then all use your MDE account to try to get a boarding group that morning.

For my family, I gave them all my log-in info during our trip and the 2 days we tried for ROTR BG, it was someone else who grabbed up the BG before I could. A couple of days before, I also had them practice on their phones while backup BGs were still available so they could personally practice the process (up to the error message at the end because we were not actually tapped into the park).

Here was my experience this morning. We woke up at 5am, and got. A Lyft at 5:20 from Beach Club. We were waiting in line by 5:35 am. I think it was around 6:30 when we were let in. They didn’t do fingerprints today. We walked back to the Star Wars line so we could hopefully get in Smugglers Run first. Neither my husband Or I had WiFi on, he got in first and we were in BG 13. We were in the beginning of the pack for Smugglers Run and they had already called our BG before that ride even started. After we got off we headed over to Rise. After part of it we got the horrible news that it was down. So we wento have sine breakfast and shop and went back to see if it was up again. It was! So we went through the fast pass entrance. And right before we stated it sopped again! This time we were able to wait so we opted to do that. They brought us snacks and water and Chewbacca came by!! After about 40 minutes we finally got to ride! Totally worth it!!

We were in the beginning of the pack for Smugglers Run and they had already called our BG before that ride even started. After we got off we headed over to Rise.

Out of curiosity, how long did it take to board and ride Smugglers Run since you were at the front of the pack? If they started walking you back to Smugglers shortly after 7am, what time do you think you got off the ride and were able to head over to Rise?

So, if the ride goes down while you're on it, or in the queue, they add a FP to your account? Is that just valid for ROTR, or for any DHS attraction (including Tier 1)? Does it expire at the end of the day, or the following day?

And if they don't call your reg BG, you get a similar FP for the next day? The last time that happened, did they still add a comp park-hopper? And does anyone know whether there was an expiration on the park-hopper? Thx.
The same day FP I got from a mid-day ride evac last week is basically an anything, any park same day FP (ie i checked and it included FoP and 7DMT) I believe it expired that same day.

The CM that gave us the same day anything FP said that was “all” she could do, but it sounded like the Guest experience or relationship team might be able to change it to a next day.

Last edited:
You MAY need to update your MDE app if you haven't since they opened the ride. There may be an update available that you haven't gotten. Just a thought if you have an old version if the app.

So your screen does NOT look like this?: BTW, my first reservation (SpaceMtn FP) is the very first thing if I scroll down.
View attachment 464773
thanks. I updated the MDE app and then when that didn't work, I updated my OS. I now found out that I needed to update the MDE app again after updating the OS. Sheesh tech is complicated. At least it worked so I can now be ready for my upcoming trip. Thanks for helping!

What's the average time after opening has the first boarding group of the day been called? We'll be there the Tuesday after MLK weekend and I'm trying to arrange our FP at MK that afternoon. I miss the old paper FP days when planning wasn't this stressful and all we had to do was sprint at rope drop like antelope evading cheetahs for a FP:rotfl2:

I do not want to discourage you, but it will be tough to get a BG. Since you say it is a port stop, I would guess you are on an RC or NCL that includes a stop in Port Canaveral. DHS currently has an 8 am opening. What time does your ship dock, and how are you getting to WDW?
I know that chance of a BG is very, very small. Ship comes in at 6 and HWS opens at 8. Luckily it didn't move to 7 like other days but I cannot disembark exactly at 6 due to normal ship procedures. I am on RCL and booked their transport but am not happy as it leaves port at 7:30 only. The rental car companies don't open until 7:30 too so unless I was willing to pay for a town car (I looked and am unwilling to pay $200+ each way for transport) or risk a Lyft/Uber not being willing to drive that far and get me and being stuck at port, I'm using RCL's transfer.

Sigh. Maybe the force will be with me.

We are hoping that our boarding group, 149, gets called today. I have a feeling that it will be called at 6 pm if there aren't any more breakdowns. That would work perfectly for us if that is the way it works out.

We can try again Wednesday, but this time we will definitely make it to the park by 7am. They messed my plans up when they changed the park opening from 8am to 7am with just a few days notice.

What's the average time after opening has the first boarding group of the day been called? We'll be there the Tuesday after MLK weekend and I'm trying to arrange our FP at MK that afternoon. I miss the old paper FP days when planning wasn't this stressful and all we had to do was sprint at rope drop like antelope evading cheetahs for a FP:rotfl2:
Sometimes immediately, but I'm not sure if there's an average. It all depends on the day.

No average time really. It's been all over the place, from opening immediately to opening 2 hours later and everything in between

We are hoping that our boarding group, 149, gets called today. I have a feeling that it will be called at 6 pm if there aren't any more breakdowns. That would work perfectly for us if that is the way it works out.

We can try again Wednesday, but this time we will definitely make it to the park by 7am. They messed my plans up when they changed the park opening from 8am to 7am with just a few days notice.
I’ve been thinking about your 149 today!! I think they stand a good chance to get there! One word of caution, if they start calling a bunch of BGs between 5 and 6 the line might be a bit nuts by the time they get to you. It could possibly make sense to not return right away to let things calm down if you’re one of the last BGs called.

Is it fair to say that, based on the past few weeks, if you enter the Hollywood Studios parking lot by about 6:30am, you should have enough time to get through security, wait on line for the park gates, have your park tickets scanned, and then be inside the park for an official 7am opening when boarding groups are opened?

Conversely, if you're entering the park at 6:45-6:55, I'm guessing you're looking at 60+ min waits for most of the headliner attractions by the time the park actually opens? You probably need to arrive before 6am in order to be towards the front of the lines for rides like Millenium Falcon, Slinky, etc?

Just trying to balance sleep with line avoidance.

To miss your 2 hour return window you'd have to pretty much be in another park in a long line (and have recently gotten in that line). For example...right now, if your BG got called back... unless you are in FoP, 7DMT or Navi River, you should be able to complete the line, ride the ride, find transportation to DHS and get to RotR entrance within 2 hours. Are you planning to be in one of those lines while waiting for your BG to be called?
Thanks. I was not aware of the "two hour window" info, so that definitely answers my question. As long as I'm asking questions that have probably already been answered :-), I've seen conflicting information on YouTube about whether or not your full party has to be "tapped into the park" to be included in a boarding group (i.e., my wife wants to sleep in while I go and get the family signed up.) I think I read here that that won't work -- everyone has to be tapped in. Can someone confirm that for me? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter