• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

READ POST 1 & 2 FIRST-Rise of the Resistance Boarding Group Planning and Information-*No Spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know ... have there been days when they’ve gotten through every backup BG? If that happens, do they add more - or just shut the ride down for the day?

There have been days (mainly back when park hours were much longer) where they got through lots of BGs and seemingly stopped calling new ones well prior to closing, but that’s not a conclusive indication they got through “all” BGs. Ultimately we don’t know how many BGs are being issued.

16th Feb
Got BG9 today which was the first group issued I believe. Called at 8:12 and enjoyed it as a walk on with no delays or break downs. The weeks of practice certainly helped with muscle memory.
It's amazing, but having had an easy time of it today I'll pass on the early start and 7:59 moment of dread for the rest of our trip.

I’m getting kind of bummed as this is the only day for a year that DH will get to ride this. I know I shouldn’t really complain since others have struggled today as well, but it’s getting disheartening to get so close and then go backstage to be evacuated repeatedly. Have they actually had successful runs today at all?

I see people posting these pictures of heading into the park in the AM and can only help but think: It's a shame that today's rope droppers will not know the joy of approaching DHS in the black of night like the people in December and January experienced 🤣 🤣 🤣 That was super strange to me and unlike anything I'd experienced before!

Welcome!
  • Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance - the major headliner attraction in Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - opened to guests on December 5th, 2019.
  • Since opening, Disney has utilized a "Virtual Queue / Boarding Group" system that must be utilized in order to experience the attraction - there is no standby line or FastPass option available at this time.
  • This thread contains the latest information and discussion on the virtual queue / boarding group process.
  • For newcomers, there is no need to read the entire thread, however posts 1 & 2 contain important information that answer many common questions and reading the most recent handful of pages to get a sense of current topics being discussed can be very helpful.

No Spoilers
  • This is a NO SPOILER thread - any post containing anything hinting at an attraction spoiler may be removed or edited at the discretion of Theme Parks Attractions & Strategies Board Moderators.
  • Even simple descriptions of locations and processes are considered spoilers - spoiler threads such as this one are available for discussing the ride if so inclined.

Basic Acronym List
  • RotR - Rise of the Resistance
  • BG - Boarding Group
  • VQ - Virtual Queue
  • SWGE - Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge
  • MFSR - Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run

Disney Parks Blog Announcement of the Current Boarding Group Process

Basic Process Description
  • Every guest wishing to experience Rise of the Resistance must have entered Disney's Hollywood Studios (DHS) that morning by scanning park admission at the tapstlyes.
  • To date, Disney has been allowing guests inside DHS (aka, opening the tapstyles) anywhere from approx 30 to 60 minutes prior to the published park opening time.
  • Once inside, guests are held at various internal locations until the published park opening - rides do not start operating until the publish park opening time.
  • Exact timing of opening the tapstyles and locations where guests are held inside the park can vary based on conditions that day.
  • Joining the Virtual Queue (aka, joining a Boarding Group) is done via the Walt Disney World My Disney Experience app on your mobile device.
  • The Virtual Queue "opens" at the published park opening time. Generally speaking they have been making a park-wide announcement at this time, but it is best to pay attention to your personal clock/watch and not wait for this announcement.
  • When the Virtual Queue is live/open, the "Join Boarding Group" button in the app will be red and from there the process of selecting your party / joining a BG is similar to selecting FastPasses in the app (it is very intuitive).
  • Upon successfully joining a Boarding Group, you will be given a Boarding Group number which will be "called" at a later point that day. Boarding Groups are "called" via push notifications from the app (if enabled on your device) and you can also track your status easily in the app.
  • There are numerous Disney blog sites with pictures / videos of this process available for further research. In addition, anyone can "practice" this process each morning at the published park opening time while at home (the app will let you click through various menus but will stop you at the final step since you have not entered the park).
  • Here's a helpful step-by-step detail post from @jbish here - https://www.disboards.com/threads/r...ad-post-1-2-no-spoilers.3782822/post-61562007

Regular Boarding Group and Backup Boarding Group Explanation
  • Disney releases two types of Boarding Groups - Regular Boarding Groups and Backup Boarding Groups. Disney does not use the word "Regular" but we will here for convenience.
  • In Disney's words: Due to the incredible popularity of Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, we will continue to distribute backup boarding groups after the initial planned groups have been filled. Backup boarding groups will only be called if all of the initial planned boarding groups have been called back and there is capacity for more riders that evening.
  • The only material difference between a Regular Boarding Group and Backup Boarding Group is guest recovery - Disney will generally offer guest recovery (often in the form of a FP for RotR the next day) for a guest in a Regular Boarding Group if they are unable to be accommodated that day but they will not for a guest in a Backup Boarding Group.
  • The number of Regular Boarding Groups available to join has generally varied day-to-day (sometimes materially) for reasons that are unknown.
  • Regular Boarding Group distribution is generally a VERY quick process once the Virtual Queue is open. The latest trend is that Regular Boarding Groups have been filling in approx 60 seconds each day.
  • Backup Boarding Group distribution generally lasts quite a bit longer past the published park opening time (exact timing has varied widely).
  • On MOST days, the attraction accommodates all Regular Boarding Groups and a substantial number of Backup Boarding Groups.
  • However, to date RotR has been prone to operational pauses and delays nearly every day, creating variability in the number of Boarding Groups accommodated each day.
  • Exact Regular Boarding Group and Backup Boarding Group performance is a heavily discussed topic on this thread and tracked in explicit detail in The Chart - see Post #2.
  • Many are using this data/information in order to try to set reasonable expectations for what one may experience on any given day when attempting to ride RotR.
  • The simple advice - be there before the published park opening time, join a Boarding Group, and you have a reasonable chance of riding sometime that day. You won't be able to control when you'll ride and you won't be able to control operational issues - there are inevitably parts of this process that are beyond your control and may create ripple effects in your schedule - but being in the park prior to opening, joining a Boarding Group the second it goes live, and having a degree of flexibility in your plans that day puts you in the best position for success.

What if I have App or Connection Problems?
  • The app can be glitchy and data / WiFi service can sometimes be taxed with so many people in the park. Disney has Guest Experience Teams (GET) (blue umbrellas and shirts) set up at various points inside the park that can assist guests. If you run into app or connection issues, take screen shots as able and visit a GET station to discuss.
  • While many guests won't have any problems and will successfully join a Boarding Group with no issue, sometimes things happen.

Some in my Party Didn't Show up on my Friends/Family List when Trying to Join a Boarding Group?
  • This is an issue that is reported with relative frequency.
  • If someone in your party there with you that morning does not show up in the app when attempting to join a Boarding Group - immediately join yourself and whoever else you can (if applicable), then head to a Guest Experience Team station for assistance. Do not wait or try to restart the app for your missing party member to show up. Remember, everyone in your party must have entered the park (GET team members have this information and will not add someone who had not tapped in to the park that morning).

Why Don't They Start with Boarding Group #1?
  • They do not start with BG #1 for reasons unknown.

Can Someone at Home or Not in DHS Help Me Join a Boarding Group?
  • Yes, you can have somebody at home or not in the park help you in joining a BG if they are connected to your MDE - or by letting them log in their app using your login information. (They can only obtain BGs for people who scanned into the park that morning though).

Can Multiple People in a Party Try to Join a Boarding Group?
  • Yes, the more people in your party attempting to join generally helps your chances of quickly joining a Boarding Group and provides backups in case of poor connection speeds, app issues, etc.

What do I Do When I Get a Boarding Group?
  • Once you have obtained a Boarding Group you can leave the park if you wish and go about your day. When your Boarding is "called" you have 1 to 2 hours to return to the ride entrance. It's pretty easy to see when your Boarding Group will be called as you can monitor it throughout the day via the MDE app.

Once I Get a Boarding Group, Can I Try to Get a Lower Boarding Group?
  • Once you're in a BG there is no strategy to get into a lower BG. Removing yourself and trying again will only place you in a higher BG.

Should I use WiFi or Data?
  • Disney WiFi is available in some parts of the park, but is probably the more risky option given past performance. Most guests generally report reasonable success rates using data vs WiFi.

Which Phone Model or Carrier is Best?
  • Reports / experiences are highly variable and do not seem to indicate any material advantage with any phone/device/carrier combination.

Practicing Joining a Boarding Group at Home
  • You can "practice" joining a BG at home at the published park opening time that day. If you are not in the park, you will not be allowed to finalize the process though.

Does Rise of the Resistance Operate During Extra Magic Hours?
  • No, Rise of the Resistance does no operate during Extra Magic Hours (note, the land and Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run are open during Extra Magic Hours).
  • DHS has moved all previously scheduled AM Extra Magic Hours to PM Extra Magic Hours for the foreseeable future.

How Many Guests are in a Boarding Group?
  • We do NOT know how many guests are in each Boarding Group

What Time Does the Skyliner Start Running and Can I Use it to get to DHS at Park Opening?
  • Generally speaking, the Skyliner has not been opening early enough to arrive at / prior to the DHS published park opening. Do not rely on the Skyliner as your mode of transportation. Buses are provided as an alternative.

What Time Do Buses Start Running from Disney Resorts?
  • With some isolated reported exceptions, Disney resort buses have generally been reported to be running well in advance of a time needed to get to DHS prior to park opening. Many are also utilizing rideshare services as well.

Are Restrooms Located Outside the Park Gates?
  • Restrooms are located next to the outside Guest Relations window at adjacent to the Skyliner station.

Can I Join More Than One Boarding Group Per Day?
  • No, guests are only allowed to join ONE boarding group per day.

Ignite the Spark and may the force be with you!
Last month we were inside the park at 6:30 am for a 7 am opening. Stsrted to worry about getting both of us in a queue so I missed the 7 am opening. Finally got on at 7:03 and got queue 112. It finally came up at 7 pm but we were long gone by then. Two weeks ago we got in at 7:30 for the 8 am opening. At 7:59 my iPhone decided to tell me a new ios update was available obscuring the clock. Got on the app at 30 seconds after 8 got VQ 105. So home we went. Last week we made it back for an 8 am opening. Hit the right button at 8 am ( you must have the app open before 8 am) and got VQ 21. We boarded at 9 am. Very cool experience but we wouldn't go back early to do it again. When FP becomes available, we will snag one and do it again. Our favorite ride is still flight of progress. I don't think RotR is really worth all of the effort. While its a great experience, its a lot of hassle and while cool is still not the best.

Ugh, all this talk of crowds and downtime makes me nervous for my 2 DHS days (2/25 and 2/29). I wonder how the crowds will be during those days and how fast BGs will disappear. :guilty:

Last month we were inside the park at 6:30 am for a 7 am opening. Stsrted to worry about getting both of us in a queue so I missed the 7 am opening. Finally got on at 7:03 and got queue 112. It finally came up at 7 pm but we were long gone by then. Two weeks ago we got in at 7:30 for the 8 am opening. At 7:59 my iPhone decided to tell me a new ios update was available obscuring the clock. Got on the app at 30 seconds after 8 got VQ 105. So home we went. Last week we made it back for an 8 am opening. Hit the right button at 8 am ( you must have the app open before 8 am) and got VQ 21. We boarded at 9 am. Very cool experience but we wouldn't go back early to do it again. When FP becomes available, we will snag one and do it again. Our favorite ride is still flight of progress. I don't think RotR is really worth all of the effort. While its a great experience, its a lot of hassle and while cool is still not the best.

This is what I'm wondering about. I have the added issue of traveling with my autistic son. I've made him aware of what it takes to possibly ride but I'm just wondering if it's even worth it. We don't go until September. I may just have him watch a POV video and let him decide but I'm just not sure it's worth the anxiety.

I see people posting these pictures of heading into the park in the AM and can only help but think: It's a shame that today's rope droppers will not know the joy of approaching DHS in the black of night like the people in December and January experienced 🤣 🤣 🤣 That was super strange to me and unlike anything I'd experienced before!
Oh, we did that too! I almost preferred that as I feel there might have been fewer people fighting for the BGs 😆

Haha! Have you ridden Test Track? It’s only be open a couple of decades ....

There is one Test Track. There are two RotR.

Not trying to be a downer, but I purposely picked a ~3 month time-frame after opening thinking it would be more "safe". Who knows....maybe starting tomorrow there are no more issues for longer periods of time. Anyway, I appreciate this thread as I've learned the procedures on how to try and join a BG.

If they are not increasing the regular BG numbers getting called, should we even bother going back to try for number four?

Does anyone know ... have there been days when they’ve gotten through every backup BG? If that happens, do they add more - or just shut the ride down for the day?
There have been days when they stopped calling BG's several hours before park close, and there were no reports on here about people not being able to get on or the ride going down. One might be bold enough to assume that they got thru all the BG's.

I asked a cm at the ride, and she said if they ever get thru all the BG's, they will not go to standby or issue more BG's.

It’s even better when it’s not only dark but also raining!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter