READ THIS - Express and On-Site Hotels

Earl

Man of Mystery
Okay, here goes...Now remember, no slamming the messenger. After reading all of the "rumors" about what was supposed to happen, I hope this straightens things out.

Universal is committed to the Express system and giving on-site guests special benefits. You are not going to find something like this down the street, it simply can't be done. But first, let's explain the need for a change over the present system. Currently, on-site guests can ride as much as they want, over and over on any attraction by presenting their room key at an attraction. You might ask, what's wrong with that? Well, the system gets clogged because there is no way to track that usage. Some people (I didn't mean you) repeat the attraction over and over again, non-stop. It's off at the exit and right back in the Express lane. The Express lanes back up, many times out past the intended 15 minute wait because the Express system has no way of knowing that this is happening. The park guests that have been scheduled by the Express system become very frustrated when they can't get their intended access. Remember, the system needs to provide access to all who use it.

This happens very frequently today, and with two hotels on-line. This issue is the number one guest complaint about the Express system. The problem will get much worse when the Royal Pacific opens. So, the issue is to track and somewhat regulate the usage of the system by on-site guests while still providing a superior beneift to them.

There have been may posts speculating what's going to happen, and this information is to settle everything, I hope. What is going to happen is that room key readers will be installed in the Express lines of each attraction. This has been discussed before. The installations have begun and there is no particular time table for the completion. Once they are all installed and tested, on-site guests will swipe their keys to gain access to the Express line. Now, for what will happen when they do.

For now, they will proceed through the Express line as they do today. For now, there are no immediate plans to restrict access at all. Will there be a restriction in the future? Almost certainly. As described before, the system backs up. So the real question is what the restriction will be and when will it go into effect.

Neither of those issues has been decided, except for one aspect. The restriction will NOT be once per day. This is nothing but a rumor, a false one at that. What is being considered is something more to the once per hour time frame. They are still gathering data on exactly how people are using the system. Once they start scanning room keys there will be better usage data. The target is the once an hour time frame. It might be slightly longer if needed to keep the system flowing.

Keep in mind that that several thousand people can be in the parks with unlimited walkup access and put the system in a tailspin for everyone else. So, the other big question is when will it change? There is no date for a change. It is more than likely some time away. Again, it depends on how the system runs and the number of complaints they get. It may very well be some time before anything changes if things don't get any busier than they are. Certainly you can expect the change by the time the Royal Pacific opens.

So, remember, no change yet, and no time soon. And when it does come, the target time to repeat an attraction is one hour. That might be somewhat longer. Also, remember, on-site guests can also use their tickets to access the Express system and schedule other, or the same, attractions outside of the walk-up access.

There are certain to be other adjustments to the system as time goes along. Please remember that this is a first, and the benefits of this system have not been provided at this level anywhere else before. I certainly hope that this answers some of the concerns and questions.

Enjoy your visit!

Thanks Earl for all the info. We'll be there at the very end of August and hopefully nothing will have changed by then. Again, thank you very much for the clarification and all of the other great info you provide us here on this site.:)

Cool! I can live with that! Now, as soon as the Entertainment rates are released for next summer, I am booking at HRH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kim:wave: :wave: :wave:

It's refreshing to put the rumors to rest. It's also nice to have an explanation as to what motivated the changes. Most people including myself will gladly accept the once per hour limit as outlined by Earl for reasons mentioned. I sincerely appreciate the information and am once again looking forward to our families 5 night stay in October.
:)

Earl,
Thank you SO much for keeping us all informed about so many of the things going on at US/IOA. It's great to have accurate information. I't so kind of you to take the time to help us out like this.

Thank you so much, Earl, for taking the time to give us the answers we all were asking for. You are a great person with a big heart and I do appreciate all the time and information you give us.

The changes in Express seem quite reasonable. I understand that, as in lots of things in life, because some people abuse the system, it makes things bad for others. Once an hour is great and plenty of access. This perk is so fabulous, my children don't even want to go to Disney because they don't want to wait in lines.

Thanks again, Earl, for all you do for us,

Nan

Thanks Earl...this is exactly what I would have hoped Universal would have done. I've seen people run from exit to entrance on attractions as if it was for their own personal use. Hopefully this will put an end to that and at the same time make Express access more enjoyable for all the guests.

Thanks for the info Earl but i think it is the first step to ruining a great program like FOTL was and a very bad step in the wrong direction. The big advantage was riding a ride mutiple times in a row without having to exit and re-enter and the changes proposed ruin it. In a park like IOA there arent many attractions in each section anyway so i think this is a bad change! They did have something unique but are taking it away a little at a time it seems.

Hey Bob, you still have to exit and re-enter now, so what is the difference? What Earl is mentioning is a way of TRACKING the on-site guests, nothing more.

And thanks Earl

Originally posted by Nan

The changes in Express seem quite reasonable. I understand that, as in lots of things in life, because some people abuse the system, it makes things bad for others. Once an hour is great and plenty of access. This perk is so fabulous, my children don't even want to go to Disney because they don't want to wait in lines.
Sorry if this offends anyone but.........
That's fine if they change the system but with the current system how is it that you think people "abuse" the system by going on a ride over & over? It never said you couldn't , in fact I asked. I certainly don't think it's abusing it, it's the perk for now.

I have to disagree with those who think this will ruin FOTL. What CAN ruin FOTL is people abusing (sorry, that's what I call it) the system by riding the same ride over and over while everyone else waits. All you have to do is look at the number of hotel rooms on site and then look at your average attraction like the Hulk coaster. Each train holds about 8 familys of 4. Doesn't take many repeat riders hogging the attraction to have an impact on the entire queue does it.

I think limiting FOTL/Express access to once per hour is a great idea. I think for every person that is unhappy with this change, you'll see MANY more who are happy.

Would be nice though if they could design the system to be advanced enough to adjust to the demand. Maybe use the current wait time in the standby line as the time which must elapse before the room key will gain access to the Express line again. Or use some formula where if the current wait is under 10 minutes there is no limit on 'rerides' but if it's over 10 minutes the time to wait is the current standby time * 2.

Good Luck!

I like the once per hour limit. You can still ride the same rides over and over if you get to the parks early. I've done Spider-Man 3 times in a row at 9 am! :)

You just made my day Earl. I will sleep much better knowing I can get on Spiderman at least three times a day on my trip.
I think the once an hour idea sounds very reasonable. I'd say even once every three hours would be reasonable. If you're in the park all day, that's three times at least. Or just a three time cap on how many FOTL'S you can get. If you want to ride it more than that, you'd have to wait like everyone else, because it gets to be an abuse.

But then again I may become a hypocrite when I have that power at my fingertips, and a three hour long line for Spiderman in August.

Earl

I just had one quick question.When I received my OrlandoFLEX Tickets,they sent me a brochure that said,"FRONT-OF-THE LINE ACCESS TO SELECT ATTRACTIONS THE FIRST HOUR THE PARKS ARE OPEN EACH MORNING".This is for guest staying on-site.Is it just the first hour or all day?

Thanks for ALL your great information.

Earl,,,as always,,great info. Thanks for the update. I probably won't be down till 2002 so it will be nice to see how this system evolves. I agree with johare who said it would be nice to base it on the length of the current lines, but also believe that a system like that may even complicate things further. Once an hour seems reasonable to me.:)

Thanks for the info. With more and more people surfing the internet and coaster sites, rumors happen because we sit in our cubicles all day with nothing to talk about, so we speculate. This has been brought up in the news group rec.roller-coaster recently and other boards. So it's great that you come into the board to set everyone straight.

The plan sounds good. They just need to watch the impact on the regular line, because it can slow down.

I'd like to put a vote in to give Early Entry back to Multi-Day ticket holders, and have it on Thursday and Friday. Why? Because I drive up to visit on one of those days to avoid the crowds. Early entry is on a Monday and Wednesday for IOA. That's in the middle of the week, I don't drive up then, I take long weekends. How many hotel guests actually enter the park early? Most of them are having breakfast and take their time getting to the park.

Give the real fans an extra hour to get a jump on the crowd.

Thanks.

Originally posted by SRRN
I just had one quick question.When I received my OrlandoFLEX Tickets,they sent me a brochure that said,"FRONT-OF-THE LINE ACCESS TO SELECT ATTRACTIONS THE FIRST HOUR THE PARKS ARE OPEN EACH MORNING".This is for guest staying on-site.Is it just the first hour or all day?

I think that may be an old brochure describing the old Universal Express system ...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter