• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Reading Challenge 2022

8/40 False Witness by Karin Slaughter. My wife recommended this book after reading a few of Slaughter's novels. It was really good. I won't give anything away, but Slaughter is a gifted writer! Some pretty disturbing content, though I will add.

9/40 Our Country Friends by Gary Shteyngart. This was a highly touted book about a group of friends who ride out the COVID pandemic lockdown together. I thoroughly hated this book. I made it about 85% of the way but gave up. I don't like books that lack sympathetic characters. Now I don't mean I have to like the characters, but I do have to feel some sort of connection with them. Even if it's a murderer or general horrible person ala Walter White, I still want to relate to them in some way. I hated every character in this book. None of them displayed anything that I felt sympathy for. There was nothing redeeming about any of them. This book was a colossal waste of my time.

10/40 Crossroads by Jonathan Franzen. This was a great read. I really like Franzen's ability to tell a story. It's about a a family in the midwest in the 70s (mostly, although there are flashbacks/retellings of earlier years). It's actually supposed to be a trilogy of books, this being the first. If you liked the Dutch House or Middlesex, I'd recommend this.

Miss Kopp Just Won’t Quit by Amy Stewart

26/50. Another story fictionalized but based on the first Woman deputy sheriff in the 19teens in Hackensack NJ. 4/5

Here's the next set - 1 YA, 1 non-fiction, and 1 piece of amazing literature.

55. Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews

Another in the series of books recently banned by a local school district, this one tells the story of Greg Gaines in his senior year in high school. Greg is a secret film maker (along with his friend Earl) and the story follows Greg's trials and tribulations through his last year in high school. It was odd, and somewhat entertaining, but not a book a will return to read again. I don't agree with banning this, and I really don't see why anyone would want it banned from high school The narrator is very much a Holden Caulfield style emotionally distant character whose interactions with the "dying girl" challange and change him.

56. This Will Not Pass: Trump, Biden, and the Battle for America's Future by Jonathan Martin and Alexander Burns

As is usual with my listing of overtly political books, I will only post the name and title here. If you want to discuss the book or hear my assessment of it, please feel free to message me privately.

57. People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks

Wow! This is a supremely well-written and researched story which is also a page-turner. The novel tells the (fictionalized) story of the (very real) Sarajevo Haggadah and goes back in time to document its creation (in Spain) and its journey through Europe to Sarajavo. A Haggadah is a prayer book used for the ritual observance of Passover, featuring prayers and blessings to be said during the festival. The Sarajevo Haggadah is unusual as it is illuminated in a medieval style. Books tells the story of the Haggadah, its creation, its preservation, and its journey, in a moving and rich way. She takes us back in time and introduces us to characters who are truly people of this book. A wonderful and worthwhile read!

And with this post, I reach my annual goal.... as my friends in Boston say, "wicked early". Looks like I am going to definitely reach 100 this year (I hope). But for now:

58. Looking for Alaska by John Green

The last in the series of banned books I am reading. Our local school district banned this book from their school library as well, and I wanted to read it to see what the fuss was about. The novel tells the story of a high school student who goes to a private prep school out of state. Among the new people he meets is a girl named Alaska, and the tale follows their friendship, the group of young adults, and the trials and tribulations of their year. The novel does have some moments of emotional turmoil, some misbehaving (mostly mild), and teens who drink and smoke. But banning it? Not a book I would ban, and certainly one that I did let my teen read when they were in high school.

59. Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury

I have long wanted to read this one, and I am so happy I did. Published in the 1960s, it still reads as a relevant and beautifully written tale, full of suspense and deep with meaning. A dark carnival comes to town, and best friends Jim Nightshade and Will Halloway are forced to confront its evil while the rest of town falls victim to the carnival's evil. Bradbury's writing is poetic, and this short novel is worth the read.

60. The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King

So you have probably figured out I am a fan, right? Yeah, and this 700 pager did not disappoint. I have never considered myself a fan of the genre of westerns, and this novel - part of The Dark Tower series - certainly is written as one, but when King writes I just get lost in his prose and story. The tale of a group of gunslingers there to protect the kids of the town from the violent wolves is page-turning, and has as much science-fiction, fantasy, and (slight) elements of horror to be a wonder mix-up of a number of genres in one. For anyone who hasn't read the series, I think you might get lost starting here (although there are a number of new characters in this one who have not appeared in earlier parts of the story). I do recommend reading the whole series as this is King's magnum opus.

13/30 - Killing Floor by Lee Child

Description:
"Ex-military policeman Jack Reacher is a drifter. He’s just passing through Margrave, Georgia, and in less than an hour, he’s arrested for murder. Not much of a welcome. All Reacher knows is that he didn’t kill anybody. At least not here. Not lately. But he doesn’t stand a chance of convincing anyone. Not in Margrave, Georgia. Not a chance in hell."

After watching the Amazon Prime Reacher TV series' first season, I decided to read the book the season was based on. It is the first book of the Jack Reacher series. I liked the book, although it took me a while to get used to the writing style. I will probably read more of the series at some point.

#21/50 Oryx & Crake by Margaret Atwood
Oryx and Crake is at once an unforgettable love story and a compelling vision of the future. Snowman, known as Jimmy before mankind was overwhelmed by a plague, is struggling to survive in a world where he may be the last human, and mourning the loss of his best friend, Crake, and the beautiful and elusive Oryx whom they both loved.
Ummm, no. This was such a disappointment to me as I have seen so many rave reviews for it. To me it was a very tedious read. I kept waiting for something (anything) to happen but never did.

# 22/50 How Y'all Doing? by Leslie Jordan
When actor Leslie Jordan learned he had “gone viral,” he had no idea what that meant or how much his life was about to change. On Instagram, his uproarious videos have entertained millions and have made him a global celebrity.
Short, fun little book. I enjoyed it.

8/40 False Witness by Karin Slaughter. My wife recommended this book after reading a few of Slaughter's novels. It was really good. I won't give anything away, but Slaughter is a gifted writer! Some pretty disturbing content, though I will add.

I can easily say Karin Slaughter is one of my top 2 authors. I am currently doing a re read of her 'Grant County' series.

And with this post, I reach my annual goal....

:cheer2:

59. Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury

I have long wanted to read this one, and I am so happy I did. Published in the 1960s, it still reads as a relevant and beautifully written tale, full of suspense and deep with meaning. A dark carnival comes to town, and best friends Jim Nightshade and Will Halloway are forced to confront its evil while the rest of town falls victim to the carnival's evil. Bradbury's writing is poetic, and this short novel is worth the read.
Another of my all time favorites!

13/30 - Killing Floor by Lee Child

Description:
"Ex-military policeman Jack Reacher is a drifter. He’s just passing through Margrave, Georgia, and in less than an hour, he’s arrested for murder. Not much of a welcome. All Reacher knows is that he didn’t kill anybody. At least not here. Not lately. But he doesn’t stand a chance of convincing anyone. Not in Margrave, Georgia. Not a chance in hell."

After watching the Amazon Prime Reacher TV series' first season, I decided to read the book the season was based on. It is the first book of the Jack Reacher series. I liked the book, although it took me a while to get used to the writing style. I will probably read more of the series at some point.
I read this one back when it was first released and then read the first 10 or 15 books in the series as they came out. His writing style is definitely a little unique but very readable.

31/60

Cast in Conflict

Chronicles of Elantra Book Sixteen
by Michelle Sagara​

KEEP YOUR FRIENDS CLOSE, AND YOUR ENEMIES CLOSER A Dragon and ten Barrani wouldn’t be anyone’s ideal roommates if a person wants peace and tranquility at home. The residue of three Draco-Barrani wars can make things pretty awkward — on a good day. Kaylin Neya has run out of good days. In the upheaval surrounding the...

32/60

The Emperor’s Wolves

by Michelle Sagara​

As an orphan scrounging in the lawless slums, young Severn Handred didn’t have the luxury of believing in anything beyond his own survival. Now he’s crossed the river and entered the heart of the empire: the city of Elantra. When Severn is spotted tailing some lawmen of the Hawks — a not...

33/60

Sword and Shadow

Wolves of Elantra, Vol 02
by Michelle Sagara​

In the city of Elantra, the law is upheld by a few groups, and the most feared are the Wolves — the Emperor’s executioners. The newest member of this elite force is Severn Handred. Granted a leave of absence to pursue information about his unknown past, Severn joins a mission to an enclave well outside...

34/60

Heroic Hearts:
An all-star urban fantasy collection featuring short stories from #1 New York Times bestselling authors Jim Butcher, Patricia Briggs, Charlaine Harris, Kelley Armstrong, and more . . .

In this short story collection of courage, adventure, and magic, heroes—ordinary people who do the right thing—bravely step forward.

Life has sort of gotten crazy for me lately, and my reading pace has slowed down. I have just started "Where the Crawdads Sing" by Delia Owens. I saw the preview for the movie and was intrigued, so thought I would give it a try!

16/20 Cream Puff Murder by Joanne Fluke
Book 11 of the Hannah Swenson series.

17/20 Plum Pudding Murder by Joanne Fluke
Book 12 of the Hannah Swenson series.

18/20 Apple Turnover Murder by Joanne Fluke
Book 13 of the Hannah Swenson series.

19/20 Devil's Food Cake Murder by Joanne Fluke
Book 14 of the Hannah Swenson series.

While I really enjoy this series, I've reached a point of anticipating the ending in the first few chapters. I am also growing tired of the two main male characters and the wishy washy nature of the main female in choosing a partner. In this respect, I enjoy the Hallmark movies better.

I have a long way to go!! Looking forward to summer break to do some reading.

4/24 Stiches and Witches, by Nancy Warren

I began reading this series based on someone's recommendation. Easy reading. The series is about a young American woman who inherits her grandmother's knitting shop after her grandmother passes on. Except it turns out her grandmother is actually a vampire and lives below the shop with a group of other vampires. Together they work to solve local murders.

Last edited:
16/20 Cream Puff Murder by Joanne Fluke
Book 11 of the Hannah Swenson series.

17/20 Plum Pudding Murder by Joanne Fluke
Book 12 of the Hannah Swenson series.

18/20 Apple Turnover Murder by Joanne Fluke
Book 13 of the Hannah Swenson series.

19/20 Devil's Food Cake Murder by Joanne Fluke
Book 14 of the Hannah Swenson series.

While I really enjoy this series, I've reached a point of anticipating the ending in the first few chapters. I am also growing tired of the two main male characters and the wishy washy nature of the main female in choosing a partner. In this respect, I enjoy the Hallmark movies better.
I so agree with you on this series. I still enjoy reading it if I need light and fluffy, but some of Hannah’s decision making just doesn’t work for me. But at least I know what to expect, and sometimes I need that! Lol

14/35 Hurricane Season by Lauren K. Denton

A story about two sisters each dealing with their individual struggles and how one summer they’re each able to confront and deal with their situations.

I think this was a recommendation from last year’s thread so thank you whoever mentioned it because I really enjoyed it!

15/35 Dr. Rick Will See You Now: A Guide to Unbecoming Your Parents

This is a free kindle book on Amazon. If you like the progressive commercials with Dr. Rick you’ll enjoy this book. It’s a very quick read but it made me laugh out loud several times.

10. We Came Here to Shine by Susie Orman Schnall. Fiction set at 1939 World’s Fair. Frankly I was disappointed in it.

April:

#25/90: These Silent Woods by Kimi Cunningham Grant (4/5) (suspense)

Cooper and his young daughter Finch live in an isolated cabin in the Appalachian woods. Only two people know that they are there: a suspicious neighbor and Cooper’s military buddy, who brings them provisions once a year. When the buddy doesn’t show up, a chain of events occurs that puts them in danger of being discovered.

It started slow for me, but I ended up enjoying the book.

#26/90: The Thursday Murder Club (Thursday Murder Club #1) by Richard Osman (3.5/5) (mystery)

A group of four residents in a fancy British retirement village meet every week to discuss unsolved crimes. When a developer turns up dead, the group has their first current case. Can they find the killer before it’s too late?

#27/90: The Last House on the Street by Diane Chamberlain (3.5/5) (historical fiction)

Kayla Carter and her husband designed a beautiful home on the edge of the woods, but after his tragic death, someone wants to prevent Kayla and her young daughter from moving in. Ellie Hockley has returned to the area, after leaving when she was witness to horrors during the Civil Rights Movement. Secrets from the past will be revealed.

#28/90: The Deep, Deep Snow by Brian Freeman (4/5) (mystery)

Shelby Lake is a deputy in the town where she was raised by her adoptive father, the Sheriff. When a young boy goes missing, secrets are uncovered that change lives. Ten years later, clues arise that change the course of that investigation.

#29/90: Her Hidden Genius by Marie Benedict (3/5) (historical fiction)

Rosalind Franklin is a scientific genius, working in the post WWII world of men. While working on a project with DNA, she believes she can solve the mystery. But she will be betrayed by the men around her.

#30/90: Defending Britta Stein (Taggart and Lockhart #6) by Ronald H. Balson (3/5) (historical fiction/courtroom drama)

Catherine Lockhart’s newest client is a ninety year old woman who admits to spray painting damaging words on the restaurant of a man who is about to be honored for his heroism in Denmark during WWII. It is up to Catherine and her husband Liam to find the proof that the man was actually a traitor, and clear the woman of defamation.
The information about Denmark during the war was interesting. But even the characters in the book commented on how long it was taking to get the woman’s story!

#31/90: Apples Never Fall by Liane Moriarty (3/5) (suspense)

When Joy Delaney goes missing, her husband Stan’s refusal to share details paints him as the prime suspect. The four adult Delaney children are divided in support of their father. Everyone has secrets to hide, including the mysterious woman who showed up at the Delaneys after a violent fight with her boyfriend.

I didn’t really like any of the characters in this book.

#32/90: The Outcast Dead (Ruth Galloway #6) by Elly Griffiths (4/5) (mystery)

Ruth has just unearthed the bones of a Victorian child murderess. Harry is investigating a kidnapper known as the Childminder. A young mother just lost her third child to crib death…or is she responsible?

#33/90: The Ghost Fields (Ruth Galloway #7) by Elly Griffiths (4/5) (mystery)

A downed WWII plane with the body of a murdered man leads Ruth and Nelson to investigate a wealthy family.

#34/90: A Duty to the Dead (Bess Crawford #1) by Charles Todd (4/5) (mystery)

WWI nurse Bess Crawford has just returned to England after almost losing her life in the sinking of her hospital ship. While she recovers, she fulfills a promise she made to a special patient before his death. But the family has secrets that Bess becomes involved in.

#35/90: The Ursulina (Shelby Lake #2) by Brian Freeman (4/5) (mystery)

The Ursulina is a mythical creature to most people, but not to Rebecca Colder. A serial killer has taken on the persona of the Ursulina. As Rebecca works to solve the crimes, she must make decisions that will change her life.

This is a prequel to The Deep, Deep Snow.
I read and enjoyed The Thursday Murder Club because you mentioned it here. Thanks! It was my 27/50. I think it was 3.5 out of 5 too!

35/60 Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

I became interested in this book after the movie trailer came out. So glad I picked it up to read. It is a story about “The Marsh Girl” in a small town of South Carolina. The timeline flips back and forth beginning when Kya (the Marsh Girl) is six in 1952 to 1969 when there is a Murder (or was it murder?) happens. The story is often sad, but also has bright spots. It is a lovely story, and I cannot wait for the movie to come out in July.

It’s a Long Story by Willie Nelson with David Ritz
Willie Nelson shares his life story in this heartfelt bestselling memoir of true love, wild times, best friends, and barrooms.”
This was published in 2015, so I’d heard most of the most interesting stories before, but I still enjoyed it. I’m glad I read it close to when I read Dolly Parton’s book. The journeys of these two country music icons differed greatly, despite being relatively close in age. While they are vastly different people, they’ve both lived their lives with faith. Love them both.

People We Meet on Vacation by Emily Henry
“Two best friends. Ten summer trips. One last chance to fall in love.”
A light, fluffy, and fun read. It was exactly what I needed right now, as I navigate the end of the school year and state testing stress.

29/75

I read 24 books this month bringing my total for the year to 76.

53) Fiona and Jane by Jean Chen Ho – Literary Fiction/Short Stories. A good book, but I think missed the mark with me because of what I expected going in. In only about half the stories have Fiona and Jane interacting, the rest focus only on one or the other. 3.25/5

54) Aloha Betrayed: Native Hawaiian Resistance to American Colonialism by Noenoe Silva – Nonfiction/History. A strong critique of the colonial historiography that native Hawaiians passively accepted the loss of their culture and nation. 4.25/5

55) Time Is a Mother by Ocean Vuong – Poetry. Vuong’s second poetry collection. Looking for how to sit with and survive beyond the grief of his mother’s passing. 4.25/5

56) Girls of Paper and Fire by Natasha Ngan – YA Fantast. 1st book in a trilogy. Set in a fantasy world inspired by Malaysian culture a Paper Girl (concubine) finds forbidden love and the courage to fight. 4.5/5

57) Handbook for a Post-Roe America by Robin Marty – Nonfiction/Social Justice/Reference. Written in 2019, the book looked at various ways Roe would potentially end and gives a manual for understanding what would come after. It also includes a detailed, state by state breakdown of clinics, supports groups, action funds, and more. 4.5/5

58) Portrait of a Thief: A Novel by Grace D. Li – Mystery/Thriller. A fun heist story of a group of young Chinese Americans stealing back priceless pieces of art from museums that had been stolen from China. 4.25/5

59) Afterparties: Stories by Anthony Veasna So – Literary Fiction/Short Stories. A nice collection of short stories looking at the lives of Cambodian Americans. 4.25/5

60) Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang – Sci-Fi/Short Stories.This was Chiang’s first short story collection and includes Story of Your Life, which was adapted into the film Arrival. 4/5.

61) Sal Si Puedes by Peter Matthiessen – Nonfiction/Labor/Biography. In 1968 Matthiessen first meet Cesar Chavez. For the next three years, during the Delano Grape Strike Matthiessen would follow Chaves. 4.25/5

62) The Strange Library by Haruki Murakami – Fantasy/Horror. Murakami’s weirdest story. The tale of a boy being entrapped in a dark library. 3.75/5

63) Kaikeyi: A Novel by Vaishnavi Patel – Historical Fantasy/Retelling – A stunning reimagining of the story of the queen from the epic Ramayana. 4.75/5

64) See No Stranger: A Memoir and Manifesto of Revolutionary Love by Valarie Kaur – Memoir. Kaur’s memoir of being Skih, especially in a post-9/11 world and how practicing revolutionary love helps her navigate her life. 4.5/5

65) Severance by Ling Ma – Dystopia/Contemporary/Satire. Flipping between post-apocalyptic and pre looking at modern relationships, office culture, and nostalgia. 4/5

66) Wild Dogs Under My Skirt by Tusiata Avia – Poetry. Avia’s first poetry collection covering both her Samoan and New Zealand cultures and the way the intersect, sometimes painfully. 4.5/5

67) Spirits Abroad: Stories by Zen Cho – Magical Realism. Cho’s first published story collection. This is an updated version which included 9 additional stories. 4.25/5

68) You've Reached Sam by Dustin Thao – YA Paranormal/Romance. After Julie’s boyfriend Sam dies in a car crash, she calls his cell one last time to hear his voice. Only Sam picks up. Neither one knows how long he’ll be able to keep answering when Julia call. What happens when a person is given a second chance at goodbye? 3.75/5

69) Iep Jaltok: Poems from a Marshallese Daughter by Kathy Jetn̄il-Kijiner – Poetry. A touching poetry collection covering everything from colonialism to America’s history of nuclear bomb testing at the Marshall Islands. 4.5/5

70) Disorientation: A Novel by Elaine Hsieh Chou – Contemporary/Satire. When a PhD student working on her dissertation stumbles upon a note in the archives it upends both her academic and personal lives. 4.25/5

71) The Grace of Kings by Ken Liu – Fantasy. The first book in an epic fantasy series and the book that created silkpunk. 3.5/5

72) Another Appalachia: Coming Up Queer and Indian in a Mountain Place by Neema Avashia – Memoir. Avashia’s memoir of growing up both Indian and queer in West Virginia as well as her present-day relationship with West Virginia. 4.25/5

73) Sharks in the Time of Saviours by Kawai Strong Washburn – Magical Realism. A Hawaiian family saga centered around the middle child who is believed to be blessed by the Hawaiian gods. 4/5

74) Know My Name: A Memoir by Chanel Miller – Memoir. Devastating, breathtaking, and moving. Miller talks about her sexual assault, the court case, and the aftermath. 5/5

75) No-No Boy by John Okada – Classic/Historical Fiction. First published in 1957 and almost ignored into obscurity until it was rediscovered in the 1970s and now considered a classic. It tells the story of a Young Japanese American who refused to fight for the country that interned him. The story starts as he is being released from prison and returning to his Japanese community in Seattle post -WWII. 4/5

76) Aunty Lee's Delights by Ovidia Yu – Cozy Mystery. A fun cozy mystery taking place in Singapore. 3.25/5

May:

#36/90: A Fall of Marigolds by Susan Meissner (4/5) (historical fiction)

1911: Nurse Clara Woods escaped Manhattan after the Triangle Shirtwaist Fire. Working in the wards of Ellis Island, she meets an immigrant who is as broken hearted as she is. All he has left to remember his bride is her lovely scarf. But Clara discovers secrets that shatter him.

2011: Tayrn Michaels is a widow with a young daughter. For the anniversary of 9/11. A photo is published that shows Taryn clutching a floral scarf as she watched the towers fall, killing her husband. This connects Tayrn t6o the man who saved her and the scarf.

Thanks to the DISer who recommended this book!

#37/90: Mermaid Confidential (Serge Storms #25) By Tim Dorsey (2/5) (humorous fiction)

Serge and his sidekick Coleman have decided to stop their road trip across Florida and settle down in the Keys. They settle down in a condo complex with friendly neighbors who are at odds with investors who lease the units to rowdy tourists. A gang war over the drug trade also erupts in the area. But Serge and Coleman are there to help.

I was expecting something more along the lines of a Carl Hiaasen, but the situations were just ridiculous.

#38/90: The Second Mrs. Astor by Shana Abe (4/5) (historical fiction)

Young Madeleine falls deeply in love with the older, divorced Jack Astor. Despite the scandal, they marry and spend an extended honeymoon in Egypt. Their return to the US aboard the Titanic ends in tragedy.

#39/90: An Impartial Witness (Bess Crawford #2) by Charles Todd (4/5) (mystery)

After aiding a severely burned airman back to England, Bess observes his wife at a train station in the arms of another man. After the wife is murdered and the airman kills himself, Bess takes it upon herself to solve the mystery. But she may now be in the sights of the killer.

#40/90: The Judge’s List by John Grisham (4.5/5) (thriller)

Lacy Stoltz is tired of her work for the Board on Judicial Conduct and looking for a change. But she meets a mysterious woman who has spent years stalking a suspect in her father’s unsolved murder. The woman turned up other victims. The suspect is a judge under Lacy’s jurisdiction. He has a list of victims and targets. Can Lacy avoid being added to the list?

#41/90: A Bitter Truth (Bess Crawford #3) by Charles Todd (4/5) (historical mystery)

A young woman shows up on Bess’s doorstep, fearful and injured. Bess takes her in and agrees to help the woman return to her husband’s family home. But Bess ends up involved in a murder investigation.

#42/90: A Test of Wills (Ian Rutledge #1) by Charles Todd (3/5) (historical mystery)

Rutledge, shell shocked, returns to his job at Scotland Yard and a jealous superior. He is sent to investigate a murder that appears to have been committed by a war hero with ties to the Royal family.

#43/90: Wings of Fire (Ian Rutledge #2) by Charles Todd (3/5) (historical mystery)

Ian Rutledge is sent to investigate the three deaths of three members of a prominent family in Cornwall that are not as they appear.

I have decided that I don’t enjoy this series as much as the Bess Crawford series.

#44/90: The Whistler by John Grisham (4.5/5) (thriller)

Lacy Stolz is an investigator for the Florida Board of Judicial Conduct. A case comes from a previously disbarred lawyer claiming that his client has information on a sitting judge who has stolen more money than any other judge. But this case could prove deadly.

This book actually comes before The Judge’s List, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it even though I read them out of order.

14/30 - Trophy Hunt by C. J. Box

Description:
"It's an idyllic late-summer day in Saddlestring, Wyoming, and game warden Joe Pickett is fly-fishing with his two daughters when he stumbles upon the mutilated body of a moose. Whatever - or whoever - attacked the animal was ruthless: half the animal's face has been sliced away, the skin peeled back from the flesh. Shaken by the sight, Joe starts to investigate what he hopes is an isolated incident. Days later, after the discovery of a small herd of mutilated cattle, Joe realizes this is something much more terrifying than he could have imagined. Local authorities are quick to label the attacks the work of a grizzly bear, but Joe knows otherwise. The cuts on the moose and the cattle were too clean, too precise, to have been made by jagged teeth. Are the animals only practice for a killer about to move on to another, more challenging prey? Soon afterward, Joe's worst fears are confirmed. The bodies of two men are found within hours of each other, in separate locations, their wounds eerily similar to those found on the moose and cattle. There's a vicious killer, a modern-day Jack the Ripper, on the loose in Saddlestring - and it appears his rampage is just beginning."

Continuing my reading of the Joe Pickett series with book #4. This is another good one, and I am really enjoying this series!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter