Reading on Facebook Port of Miami is a disaster

The reason people are cleared in batches is that PCR tests are often done in plates that contain 96 or 384 wells. Can be done in tubes but usually plates are preferred, especially when testing hundreds of samples. Then when the results and controls are obvious, softwares can do the calls that are then probably checked by a technician. More ambiguous results would need to be analyzed individually.
Thank you for explaining. In my opinion, having results display in batches is still a minor inconvenience.
To say that Miami is a “disaster”, as OP read on Facebook, is really a stretch. My dh has little patience at times and gets easily annoyed and even he did not gripe about anything. We were so happy to be able to sail. I’m not saying we’d jump through endless hoops or do anything to be able to sail but sheesh it’s all still easier than a day at MK.

Update: I was author of first post. We made our way to Miami from Orlando in record time on a Saturday, two cars, one friend using a wheelchair. There was no signage for Disney Cruise line, just kept driving till we saw the Magic. Pulled up to a porter and all the woman got out of car with the wheelchair, crutches and carryons (three of us). We’re clueless what to do but saw a line so we got in it, lol. Men parked cars, said they didn’t see signage till they got to entrance of garage. Parked the cars and grabbed the bus back to us. One of us had 10:45 PAT and the two other couples had 11:15. Very nice young cast member told us we could stay together and moved us up the line (by this time it was 11:00). When we got closer, an elderly gentleman (cast member) got very angry with us for moving up the line. We were confused.told him we only did what the younger cast member told us and he said, well he is wrong. Geez, not a good start for other couples with us who were first timers, this was our 23rd cruise. Felt bad. We moved along with the wheelchair, went thru security, didn’t question us with wine in suitcase like Port Canaveral did two weeks before. Then it was to testing. Quick there too. Then we waited and honestly it wasn’t more than 1/2 an hour. After that the ‘Magic’ began.

Update: I was author of first post. We made our way to Miami from Orlando in record time on a Saturday, two cars, one friend using a wheelchair. There was no signage for Disney Cruise line, just kept driving till we saw the Magic. Pulled up to a porter and all the woman got out of car with the wheelchair, crutches and carryons (three of us). We’re clueless what to do but saw a line so we got in it, lol. Men parked cars, said they didn’t see signage till they got to entrance of garage. Parked the cars and grabbed the bus back to us. One of us had 10:45 PAT and the two other couples had 11:15. Very nice young cast member told us we could stay together and moved us up the line (by this time it was 11:00). When we got closer, an elderly gentleman (cast member) got very angry with us for moving up the line. We were confused.told him we only did what the younger cast member told us and he said, well he is wrong. Geez, not a good start for other couples with us who were first timers, this was our 23rd cruise. Felt bad. We moved along with the wheelchair, went thru security, didn’t question us with wine in suitcase like Port Canaveral did two weeks before. Then it was to testing. Quick there too. Then we waited and honestly it wasn’t more than 1/2 an hour. After that the ‘Magic’ began.

So it sounds like poor signage for those arriving by car, miscommunication and lack of protocol for groups with different PATs. I would write to DCL and explain your experience to them. The signage should be an easy fix, at least.
Did your first-timer friends enjoy their cruise?

So it sounds like poor signage for those arriving by car, miscommunication and lack of protocol for groups with different PATs. I would write to DCL and explain your experience to them. The signage should be an easy fix, at least.
Did your first-timer friends enjoy their cruise?
Once they were on the ship, all was forgotten (till we disembarked and my friend in the wheelchair had to get on the bus, so hard for her to do the steps), we will try to sail out of Port Canaveral next time, and they are so ready for #2.

Once they were on the ship, all was forgotten (till we disembarked and my friend in the wheelchair had to get on the bus, so hard for her to do the steps), we will try to sail out of Port Canaveral next time, and they are so ready for #2.

Do the buses in PC accommodate a wheelchair while the person is sitting in it?

Do the buses in PC accommodate a wheelchair while the person is sitting in it?
Yes they can, though not all buses are so equipped. It's important for the guest to contact in advance and have the reservation flagged as needing an accessible bus.

We’re sailing out of Miami on January 3rd. When we disembark, we need to take an Uber to Fort Lauderdale airport. Are Ubers/Lyfts able to pull up near where you get off the ship? Might end up doing a pre-arranged car service instead.

Actually, that's probably the hardest to fix. I would guess that any road signage would be "owned" by either the Port, the City, or the County, as opposed to being something that Disney can fix themselves. The miscommunication amongst cast members is just a training issue, and is easier to fix.

Are Ubers/Lyfts able to pull up near where you get off the ship?

Yes. Literally right there. And there's a stack of them hanging out in the parking lot across the way waiting for someone to call them. We waited less than a minute and were quickly on our way even after needing to put in two car seats and the luggage. Ended up with hours to kill at the airport playing around.

We said first time out of Miami three weeks ago. And to be honest I loved it. Granted it’s not a Disney exclusive terminal But it wasn’t bad. The only thing you need to realize that people lineup outside against the wall. These people are there before their PAT. So if you’re on your correct time just go right up to where they are checking QRs and “ cut”. Which you really aren’t doing anyways. I thought they had a super system set up once you went past security and it went really fast. The only complaint I have is that I had zero Internet connection in the bldg. I think they did have a free Wi-Fi but it wasn’t working? I don’t recall I just know that the data package I bought since I was overseas with LTE wasn’t working in that bldg. no connection. They have these huge screens though that show your reservation number and if you are cleared or not. That’s what I was looking at while waiting for my tests.

what trumps Miami now for us is the fact that it’s just so easy to get to from the airport or city. Port Canaveral let’s be honest it’s a pain to get to. It’s far out and super expensive no matter what form you use. The Disney transfer to the airport was only $21 per person and it was like a 15 -20 minute drive. We only took this returning.
Of the three cruise ports in my life I sailed out of this was simply the best. The skyline was simply beautiful and sailing past Miami Beach. We also had the luck the sun was literally setting over the skyline while we were pulling out - beautiful.

I think it really comes down to what time you arrive and how busy it happens to be at that moment. We’ve sail out of Port Canaveral where Alamo drop off/shuttle and congestion to drop us off at DCL was simple Mayham where I said never again( dropping a car off and actually getting to the ship took longer than driving out from WDW) . This time in Miami there were no crowds to fight.

Last edited:
what trumps Miami now for us is the fact that it’s just so easy to get to from the airport or city. Port Canaveral let’s be honest it’s a pain to get to. It’s far out and super expensive no matter what form you use. The Disney transfer to the airport was only $21 per person and it was like a 15 -20 minute drive.
We found this to be wonderful also. I was actually able to book a 10:00am return flight after seeing what a short ride it was. We still had time to sit around at the gate and landed in Philly by 12:30pm. We were able to do the 7:30am self-carry walk off when disembarking. It was so easy. We also have TSA PreCheck.

We're booked on the WBPC which ends in San Diego. The airport is literally next to the port. Maybe a 2 mile drive to the terminal.
I half-considered an 8:50am flight on SW but it would be too close, arriving at the airport only 1 hour before our flight. That's assuming we can disembark right on time. I'm pretty sure we could make it but I'm not that brave.

American has a non-stop at 2:00pm but that will feel like an eternity sitting around.

In Miami, can you keep your luggage with you for the testing and then give it to a porter?
Yes, first step is handing over your bags but you don't have to. You can keep them with you all of the way and drag them on to the ship, as long as you can handle them. Many people do this. Backpacks help in this situation.

Yes, first step is handing over your bags but you don't have to. You can keep them with you all of the way and drag them on to the ship, as long as you can handle them. Many people do this. Backpacks help in this situation.
They need to fit through security scanners though

They need to fit through security scanners though
Yes, but any luggage that you can carry onto a flight will fit through the scanner. The really big must-be-checked-in bags won't fit, but a lot of people don't check bags anymore, and just use small to medium size suitcases that can be carried on a flight.

I've seen people camped out by the hallway to their staterooms on embarkation day, as they wait for staterooms to open, surrounded by quite a bit of luggage. So you can certainly bring suitcases on if you wish, as long as they're carry-on size.

Thank you for all these insights into current Miami situation. We recently booked a "last minute" cruise on the Magic for Jan 22 and it helps to know what to expect. Last time we sailed out Miami was back in 2013 on the Magic when it was renovated.

Seems strange there is not a lot of Disney signage. Every DCL cruise from a non Disney port we have sailed from had some Disney signage.

MJ

Thank you - so there's no way to go back and check with porter? It seems like that would be a logical step to do testing before luggage.

Thank you for all these insights into current Miami situation. We recently booked a "last minute" cruise on the Magic for Jan 22 and it helps to know what to expect. Last time we sailed out Miami was back in 2013 on the Magic when it was renovated.

Seems strange there is not a lot of Disney signage. Every DCL cruise from a non Disney port we have sailed from had some Disney signage.

MJ
Inside there are the typical things you'd expect. It sounds like the frustration is coming from those who are driving themselves. Our Uber driver couldn't speak English but he got us where we needed to be so maybe it's something you get to be familiar with after having experience.

Thank you - so there's no way to go back and check with porter? It seems like that would be a logical step to do testing before luggage.

In Port Canaveral they do luggage first as well. We pulled up, dropped off our luggage and they then told us to head to the garage to park our car and get tested in the garage.

MJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter