Real ID: Married Women Beware!

Does this sound right at all? I took dd in to get her enhanced license on Friday. She just turned 16. I could not get it because we didn’t have an address verification in HER name. We moved a month ago and her permit had the old license. Once the standard license comes in, we were told that she could then use that as the address verification. So frustrating that I’ll now have to pay another license fee to get an enhanced licensed for her.
It may depend on the state.

For example in my state you can change your address online through the DMV's website and print out a piece of paper that reflects the change. That would be done if you don't want to go to the DMV to get a new license with the new address. My assumption is that would have worked in my state because you had documentation reflecting the new address in the minor's name (and I could be wrong on that assumption). I personally didn't change my address though whenever I moved until I moved into my home we had built for us so I can totally understand not doing it (never mind the fact that you moved a month ago) if you for hypothetical sake lived in my state and could do that online.
---------------------------------------------

However, in my state when it comes to minors the DL information page lists this: "A minor child’s parent, step-parent or legal guardian can complete a Certification of Address by providing two proofs of address along with identification."

Does your state have something similar in wording?

My state (Illinois) is clear that a certified copy of the marriage license is required:

It's happening some with men as well. We've had two male employees change their last name in the last year, so I imagine they'd need to supply documentation as well.

That said, it does go on in the "interactive checklist" that if you present a passport in your current name, you don't need the name change paperwork.

It may depend on the state.

For example in my state you can change your address online through the DMV's website and print out a piece of paper that reflects the change. That would be done if you don't want to go to the DMV to get a new license with the new address. My assumption is that would have worked in my state because you had documentation reflecting the new address in the minor's name (and I could be wrong on that assumption). I personally didn't change my address though whenever I moved until I moved into my home we had built for us so I can totally understand not doing it (never mind the fact that you moved a month ago) if you for hypothetical sake lived in my state and could do that online.
---------------------------------------------

However, in my state when it comes to minors the DL information page lists this: "A minor child’s parent, step-parent or legal guardian can complete a Certification of Address by providing two proofs of address along with identification."

Does your state have something similar in wording?

I haven’t looked at the wording in my state. I was not happy that I couldn’t get it, especially since I have an enhanced license with the new address that they could have accepted as proof.

I haven’t looked at our state. I was not happy that I couldn’t get it, especially since I have an enhanced license with the new address that they could have accepted as proof.
I don't blame you I'd be upset too. Not only is that double work on their side for processing 2 DL in a short time frame but for you to have to waste your time again and pay more money.

Does this sound right at all? I took dd in to get her enhanced license on Friday. She just turned 16. I could not get it because we didn’t have an address verification in HER name. We moved a month ago and her permit had the old address. Once the standard license comes in, we were told that she could then use that as the address verification. So frustrating that I’ll now have to pay another license fee to get an enhanced licensed for her.
Have you looked into what documents are good to use for this? In our state there are other options than a piece of mail:
• School documents, Medical documents, Employment documents, or Insurance documents
• Change of Address confirmation by the U.S. Postal Service

Also, some states allow children (and spouses) to use a parents, or spouses, address confirmation, as long as you can show proof they are related.

My state has been utterly ridiculous since 9/11 in terms of all the paperwork they require for a DL, more than is required for RealID, but if you can believe it, refused for YEARS to go ahead and issue RealID licenses because "it's an invasion of privacy to allow the Federal government to have access to our DL records." They FINALLY caved this year, and of all reasons, because of political pressure from the trucking industry. The straw that broke the camel's back was several local Federal contractors refusing to hire trucking firms located in this state because their drivers did not have RealID, and thus would not be allowed to deliver to military bases.

Here's the fun part: they are making us all come in and get new licenses if we want RealID (which is optional here, btw; you have to ASK to be included in the database), even though they have all of the information they need to issue it, and could just mail the things out upon request.

I've lived in 6 states as an adult, and this one (Missouri) has by FAR the most antiquated and screwy Driver's License & Motor Vehicle Registration setup that I've ever seen. It is that way on purpose, because the License Offices are privately operated, awarded as EXTREMELY lucrative political patronage plums. (One of the best examples of the legally-sanctioned graft they indulge in is the penalty for using a CC to pay your fees. The offices charge 2.15% of the transaction. If you are registering a new vehicle, that could easily end up being a $200 surcharge for using a credit card.)

Last edited:
I got caught up in this before real ID.
I was going to hyphenate my name. Mary Jane Doe-Smith
I went to SSA and changed it to Mary Jane Doe-Smith It was not problematic whatsoever.
I went to DDS in GA with Social Security Card, old license, proof of residence, marriage certificate. Turns out, in GA (at least at that time), you cannot change your name to hyphenated unless you had put it on the marriage certificate that way (which there was no option for that in the state we were married in). Even though my Social Security Card said Mary Jane Doe-Smith, my license could say Mary Jane Doe, Mary Jane Smith, Mary Doe Smith BUT it was not allowed to match.
I then just gave up on the hyphen and did Mary Jane Smith across the board (so I had to go back to social security office)

I was also going to add the my DH's DL expired in June. He got at least two mailings (one about two months out and one about a month out) reminding him about this and about all the documentation that would be required. We've never before received anything reminding us to renew our DLs, so I think they were being pretty clear.

The offices charge 2.15% of the transaction. If you are registering a new vehicle, that could easily end up being a $200 surcharge for using a credit card.)
Wait your property tax+registering the vehicle on a vehicle using your example above would be ~$9,300!?

FWIW in my state you have to pay $5.00 regardless whatever method IF you pay in person per vehicle in addition to transaction fees based on the method of payment which is 2.6% for CCs. If you pay online (which I do every year) it's a fee too but I don't remember the percentage exactly plus there's a processing fee.

While we are on the PSA train....
Please, please make sure your children's birth certificates are correct and take the time to correct them when they are young. Almost caused a problem for FIL on our cruise.
Also, think long and hard if you name your child one thing "Mary Jane Doe" but are always going to call her by her middle name "Jane." It caused problems for my MIL when going on our cruise.

Have you looked into what documents are good to use for this? In our state there are other options than a piece of mail:
• School documents, Medical documents, Employment documents, or Insurance documents
• Change of Address confirmation by the U.S. Postal Service

Also, some states allow children (and spouses) to use a parents, or spouses, address confirmation, as long as you can show proof they are related.
They wouldn't use my documents as verification even with her birth certificate. And after waiting through the line, which took 90 minutes, I was pretty frustrated. I don't even know if I believe the guy who told me they wouldn't accept my verification documents because it makes no sense. I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle to get the enhanced. She has a passport and also has global entry that can be used for flying, which I brought with me to the DOL. Crazy that both of those were easier to get than an enhanced license.

While we are on the PSA train....
Please, please make sure your children's birth certificates are correct and take the time to correct them when they are young. Almost caused a problem for FIL on our cruise.
Also, think long and hard if you name your child one thing "Mary Jane Doe" but are always going to call her by her middle name "Jane." It caused problems for my MIL when going on our cruise.
Calling people by their middle names or alternate parts of their names is extremely common in my family and has been for generations and I can't think of a single time it's been a problem. We always make sure kids know their 'full real name' before the first day of school, cause teachers here always use the first name, not the preferred name on desks, folders, cubbies, etc. I'm curious what kind of problem your MIL could have possibly had? Would you mind elaborating a bit?

Calling people by their middle names or alternate parts of their names is extremely common in my family and has been for generations and I can't think of a single time it's been a problem. We always make sure kids know their 'full real name' before the first day of school, cause teachers here always use the first name, not the preferred name on desks, folders, cubbies, etc. I'm curious what kind of problem your MIL could have possibly had? Would you mind elaborating a bit?
She was born "Mary Jane Doe" Everyone calls her "Jane Doe" When she gets married, she drops the "Mary" on most official documentation and goes by "Jane Doe Smith." So when we get to book the cruise, I was told to book her by her Driver License name "Jane Doe Smith" and bring her birth certificate and marriage license.
When we go to board, Disney has to change her name on the passenger manifest to "Mary Jane Smith" and clear that with CPB (so her passenger name has to match birth certificate/marriage certificate and NOT driver's license). We got everything corrected and on the ship, but my experience with my MIL and FIL was that it was not just okay to go by whatever.

I have friends (my age) one with an incorrect birthday on birth certificate who knows just to always list the official birthday on all documents. I have another friend who has always gone by her middle name who knows just to put her legal name on all documents.
I don't know if it is my ILs age (in their 70s) or their rural community (everyone knows you, so it doesn't matter) that made them lax about it. Also, they got by with it for over 70s years. They drive cars, vote, collect social security, FIL served in Vietnam twice, etc.

Who didn't change their name with the SSA when they got married (if they changed their name)?? If you don't have a SSA card with your legal name on it, that's on you.

*Raises Hand* - I didn't

I was told by the ID Office that if I have my marriage certificate to show that i was married then it is fine - its not that huge of a deal that oP is trying to make it

The issue isn't proving who you are. The issue is proving your citizenship status. If Kitty34 had brought a passport (which proves she's a citizen) in her current name, they wouldn't need anything.
However... since she brought her birth certificate, they need to somehow prove that the person on the birth certificate is, in fact, the person standing in front of them. For some people, that will be two marriage certificates (First Maiden to First Married then First Married to First Next-Married)

I didn't even think to bring my passport in as it had expired 2016. Gosh if I had known that I would have in a heartbeat! :(

I my state its pretty straight forward and easy-my DL issued in 2015 is RealID compliant and did not cost any more than the usual fee. I would assume when I renew in March of 20 that it will be the same.

I didn't even think to bring my passport in as it had expired 2016. Gosh if I had known that I would have in a heartbeat! :(
I don't think it would have worked since it was expired at the time you were getting your DL. My state clearly says an unexpired Passport can be used. Your state probably says the same thing.

If you had renewed your passport though in 2016 or prior to going to get the DL it I believe it would have worked.

Check your state though if you want to know for sure if it would have worked :)

The inconsistency between states and even between different DMV employees within the same office is frustrating. Yes, I DO believe that people especially from older generations are being punished by these stricter requirements when they received all their official ID documents at a time when things were much more lax, and no one could have perceived a future where things would be so strict.

When my mom went in to get her Real ID, she looked at the website to make sure she had everything, and while it did mention "documents pertaining to name change" it didn't even occur to her that it meant changing through marriage, as she has been married for over 40 years. So at any rate she was sent away and told to bring her marriage license next time. They have probably changed the website to be more specific now because I think that was an issue for a lot of women, not realizing they needed their marriage license (in fact my mom said she overheard the same issue with a woman at the counter next to her). So anyway, she comes back with her marriage certificate (from the 70s)...it is signed, it is SEALED. Nowhere on it does it say that it's unofficial. The DMV lady takes one look at it and says, "This won't work. This is just "the pretty one" they send you."

Now I have no idea if being young she was thrown off by the ornateness of an older marriage certificate and just figured it couldn't possibly be real, but it DID have a seal and she still wouldn't accept it! So my mom was turned away again and had to send in for another certificate (out of state) for like $15 or whatever. Brought THAT one in and apparently (I wasn't there) the clerk still hemmed and hawed over it for whatever reason but finally decided to accept it.

I really have no idea if she ever even needed her marriage certificate to get a new driver's license back in the 70s under her married name, but if she did then that one was perfectly acceptable at the time. Her Real ID is still pending because of an eye issue (which is another completely ridiculous story I won't get into), but she's also worried about the fact that a clerk pointed out her middle name on her birth certificate has an h in it whereas all of her other documents do not (all the ones filled out by her as an adult). She just knows what her middle name is and never even looked that closely at her birth certificate to know they spelled it with an h on there. The clerk who saw it said kind of smugly, "I'll bet I'm the first person who ever noticed that." So aside from the license issue she's also now afraid that they will end up denying her her social security benefits in a few years all because of that h.

I had my own issues with obtaining a Real ID, though not as bad. First I couldn't find my social security card after turning the house upside down looking for it, so I had to go to the SS office to get it replaced (not a huge deal, my fault I guess). The big problem is proof of residency. This becomes an issue when you have all of your mail sent to a P.O. Box and have done so for many years. I did manage to get ahold of one acceptable piece that has my actual address on it so that was fine, but then they suddenly decided that you need TWO proof of residence documents after they had already processed over two million Real IDs using only one. They had no idea yet how they were going to fix this, but when I went to the DMV they were still allowing just one for the next week or so, so I did get my ID. Now apparently they are sending out forms to people and all they have to do is sign it and send it in as proof of residence, but I still have no idea what they are planning to do with those of us with P.O. Boxes because I got my ID in April and I have yet to receive anything in the mail about that second piece.

So anyway, lucky to those of you who live in a state that seems to have everything all figured out. Here it's a mess. They closed all the DMV offices a few weeks ago for "training" on Real ID compliance.

Last edited:
I am going to get my real id next week. I have my birth certificate, passport and I have my marriage license (In 1988, I may or may not have crumpled it up in a ball and thrown it in my husband's face, but I still have it AND him)

Don't forget to bring your social security card or something like a W2 that shows the number ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter