Real ID: Married Women Beware!

Since the primary use of Real ID will be for air travel, I have heard of cases where someone had a real problem because the name was so long that it couldn't be spelled out on an airline ticket or boarding pass. They just ran out of space for any more characters or spaces.
Yeah here's how mine shows up on my tickets:

CLICK MICKELSON, MACK

My legal name is obviously listed when I'm booking tickets but the airline ticket already doesn't have enough space for my full name on the ticket itself. BUT I've never had an issue because I assume the information pops up for the TSA agent to see that my full name was actually listed on the ticket. Now I don't know if it's happened to someone where they actually could input their full name when booking the ticket--that's where I could see issues arise.

Yeah here's how mine shows up on my tickets:

CLICK MICKELSON, MACK

My legal name is obviously listed when I'm booking tickets but the airline ticket already doesn't have enough space for my full name on the ticket itself. BUT I've never had an issue because I assume the information pops up for the TSA agent to see that my full name was actually listed on the ticket. Now I don't know if it's happened to someone where they actually could input their full name when booking the ticket--that's where I could see issues arise.
I was seeing some blog post about a name so long (it was a multi part Arabic name) where the standard space in the electronic database was inadequate.

Perhaps you already have a copy of your birth certificate but aren’t sure if it’s official or not. You have to know that an original birth certificate must remain on file at the respective vital records agency office of the birthplace after it has been submitted for registration by the hospital. Technically, this is where the only “original” copy of a birth certificate can be found. It is also the place where birth is recorded. This “original” copy is kept under lock to ensure people’s identities are protected. I read all this information at -> usbirthcertificates.com

I was seeing some blog post about a name so long (it was a multi part Arabic name) where the standard space in the electronic database was inadequate.
My cousins have this problem all the time, their last name is 14 letters long. Name field length is something the programmers can and should address during the testing phase of software. It is easy to correct. Sadly, moatf the time, they just don't.

I have a hyphenated last name - did it when I got married. Has been a pain in the butt ever since and I regret doing it! That being said, I had zero problems when I took in my paperwork for my Real ID appt.
Had my marriage license, passport (showing my hyphenated last name), social security card (showing my maiden name), a copy of a car insurance bill & electric bill (showing my married name which is how I go unless I need to have my hyphenated name), and a copy of our most recent jointly filed tax return.

Easy and done.

Perhaps you already have a copy of your birth certificate but aren’t sure if it’s official or not. You have to know that an original birth certificate must remain on file at the respective vital records agency office of the birthplace after it has been submitted for registration by the hospital. Technically, this is where the only “original” copy of a birth certificate can be found. It is also the place where birth is recorded. This “original” copy is kept under lock to ensure people’s identities are protected. I read all this information at -> usbirthcertificates.com
Depends on the jurisdiction. Many have gone to exclusively electronic databases where there is no signed “original”. An example is New York City, which has its own vital records separate from the state.

In my state it’s convoluted. Mostly it’s counties handling vital records, although a few cities do. The cities that do it then hand it to the counties. All records are archived by the state. Most certified copies are created from scans of the original forms, although sometimes it might be produced from a microfilm. The primary place to get certified copies is from the counties, and they only use saved images to create them.

I have a hyphenated last name - did it when I got married. Has been a pain in the butt ever since and I regret doing it! That being said, I had zero problems when I took in my paperwork for my Real ID appt.
Had my marriage license, passport (showing my hyphenated last name), social security card (showing my maiden name), a copy of a car insurance bill & electric bill (showing my married name which is how I go unless I need to have my hyphenated name), and a copy of our most recent jointly filed tax return.

Easy and done.
I am interested as to which name they put on Real ID? I know you say it has been a pain, but the ability to legally use any form of my last name was why I chose to hyphenate.

I can't just use any form of my last name for legal purposes.

What do you mean by that?
My understanding—which I believe to be reenforced by @easyas123 Real ID experience—is that I can legally have bank accounts/identification/signatures as Jane Doe, Jane Smith and Jane Doe-Smith. However, once I chose a name format for SSN, that must match all IRS documents.

I am interested as to which name they put on Real ID? I know you say it has been a pain, but the ability to legally use any form of my last name was why I chose to hyphenate.
My drivers license (passport, tax returns ) all have my hyphenated name. I already had the drivers license w/ the Real ID mark on it, although being in Maryland I needed to come in and PROVE it all again.

Easy and done.

This!!!! Ok, so I don't regret hyphenating my name per se but it can be a pain in the tuchus. I have a long first name and while neither of my last names are long when you put them together it is 13 characters and I sometimes have trouble fitting it into electronic fields. I could get a debit card and Disney Visa card with my full name spelled out plus middle initial but the Amex people said they couldn't put that many characters on a card.

I didn't have any issues with my Real ID either.

My understanding—which I believe to be reenforced by @easyas123 Real ID experience—is that I can legally have bank accounts/identification/signatures as Jane Doe, Jane Smith and Jane Doe-Smith. However, once I chose a name format for SSN, that must match all IRS documents.
My understanding is if you legally change your name and have a hyphen you should be using that name so long as a place allows that (because not all softwares allow that), including my bank where my personal, joint and money market accounts could not have a hyphen (though my CC could).

I believe you can be more interchangeable when you don't hyphenate so in my case using Click Mickelson as my actual changed legal name as opposed to Click-Mickelson.

That's not to say places won't allow that option because I have things where my hyphen in the computer system wasn't allowed but I would much rather be as consistent as possible so long as the place allows for it.

My understanding is if you legally change your name and have a hyphen you should be using that name so long as a place allows that (because not all softwares allow that), including my bank where my personal, joint and money market accounts could not have a hyphen (though my CC could).

I believe you can be more interchangeable when you don't hyphenate so in my case using Click Mickelson as my actual changed legal name as opposed to Click-Mickelson.

That's not to say places won't allow that option because I have things where my hyphen in the computer system wasn't allowed but I would much rather be as consistent as possible so long as the place allows for it.
I agree on consistency. I always use Jane Doe-Smith as my official signature no matter what lease, card, check, etc. says unless a document specifies my name must match a certain format. For example, passport signature must match exactly to be valid. I don’t think lady at DMV cared at all how I signed my most recent DL in PA. PA is first DL that included full middle name. My experience has found it to be mostly airlines and medical offices that struggle with software and hyphens.

SSN is Doe-Smith. I have bank accounts in Doe-Smith and Smith. Credit cards I never changed myself were changed by bank from Doe to Smith. New credit opened at point of sale with DL (which is also Doe-Smith) has been issued to Smith. Car loan/lease varies though DL is always Jane Doe-Smith. I do not know if this is based on how dealership files paperwork or state requirements (I have had loans and titles in 4 states since married). Only time I ever had an issue was my very first W-4 after name change on SSN had an initial instead of full middle name, so that wasn’t even because of hyphen or related issues.

Did anyone decide to just get a passport instead of Real ID? Someone told me you don't need marriage certificates from past marriage(s), just current one.

Did anyone decide to just get a passport instead of Real ID? Someone told me you don't need marriage certificates from past marriage(s), just current one.
A current passport is still a Real ID. Some states had already required the same information, and there appear to be variations as to how states implement the policy. I only had 1 name change when I got my passport, so I cannot help there. It may depend on what name(s) are on your required documents. My understanding is there must be an official legal paper trail from birth name to current name.

I just went online, clicked a few times, and they mailed a Real ID to me.

A friend had to go for her driver's license renewal, and she decided to do the RealID type since we are all going to have to change over to that in about a year (Maine is a tad behind the times in more ways than one, apparently). I TOLD her she'd need her marriage license, I told her she had to be able to trace her entire name, but her husband told her he'd read she only needed her current license and SS card. She renewed and got a regular license, and will go back in a year to get her RealID- Marriage License in hand!
Do you know how happy I am that I didn't change my name when I married DH? This is all nuts!

Well, I've been married and divorced 3 times and changed back to my maiden name a couple of those times. This should be interesting. I ALWAYS filed the court papers with social security office and got a card with my new name, but sounds like this isn't foolproof. I have no clue where all those marriage licenses and divorce papers are. I DO have a passport with my current name, but it's due to expire soon. I guess I should get this done before that happens if they will accept a passport.

My poor oldest daughter had 3 last names before she was 8 or 9 years old. Now she is married and has a 4th last name. I hope she doesn't need all those court papers. She also has a passport, so going to give her a heads up.

A current passport is still a Real ID. Some states had already required the same information, and there appear to be variations as to how states implement the policy. I only had 1 name change when I got my passport, so I cannot help there. It may depend on what name(s) are on your required documents. My understanding is there must be an official legal paper trail from birth name to current name.

Maybe it's a matter of nomenclature (and I admit nitpicking), but DHS says that "Real ID" only applies to state/territorial drivers license and non-DL IDs.

Passed by Congress in 2005, the REAL ID Act enacted the 9/11 Commission's recommendation that the Federal Government “set standards for the issuance of sources of identification, such as driver's licenses.” The Act established minimum security standards for state-issued driver's licenses and identification cards and prohibits Federal agencies from accepting for official purposes licenses and identification cards from states that do not meet these standards.​
Save the date.
Beginning October 1, 2020, every air traveler 18 years of age and older will need a REAL ID-compliant driver’s license, state-issued enhanced driver’s license, or another acceptable form of ID to fly within the United States.​
Check for the star.
REAL ID-compliant cards are marked with a star at the top of the card. If you’re not sure, contact your state driver’s license agency on how to obtain a REAL ID compliant card.​

By definition, a passport isn't a Real ID document, but it is one of the forms of ID that will be accepted. A foreign passport will be valid, as well as several current trusted traveler cards (SENTRI, NEXUS, Global Entry).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter